Home Non Cigar Related

Can you say 'Evacuation?'

2»

Comments

• cigarbreathcigarbreath Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    LMAO.  Thanks for the laughs.
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    an estimated $100-200 Million dollars to fix that pothole????
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    an estimated $100-200 Million dollars to fix that pothole????
    estimated by California politicians.  These are the same people who once approved a half-million dollar study to determine the placement of stop signs on the square in Carmel, before Clint Eastwood became mayor.  His campaign centered on the fact that he could solve the whole problem for about $25.

Hang in there, @jlmarta , stay warm and dry.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad things are going well Marty, you and your child bride are such great people we hurt for you when something happens! Take care and be well, thanks for staying in touch with us!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

Just saw on the news that there are more storms on the way.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    :p Ha! Just saw your age, you ole frt :p
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
    :p Ha! Just saw your age, you ole frt :p
    Uh, ahem, that's 'oldfart' - all one word, ya young scalawag....   :#
    jd50ae said:

Right. But the level of the water behind the dam is now low enough that there shouldn't be any problem. 

Here's a link that shows current pertinent data:

http://rdcfeeds.redding.com/lakelevels/oro.cfm

They update this table hourly... 
  • Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jlmarta
    So your back home and all is well then?
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    jd50ae said:

Right. But the level of the water behind the dam is now low enough that there shouldn't be any problem. 

Great news. 
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    @jlmarta
    So your back home and all is well then?
    Back home, all is well... for the moment. No blaring danger signals forthcoming. I'm hooked up with the Reverse 911 setup so I'll be notified of any upcoming evacuation orders so I don't expect any more last-minute departures like last time. 

The local forecasters all say that the level of the lake and the controlled outflow will handle the incoming storm so I'm not too concerned. Vigilant, but not overly concerned. 

Thanks for asking, Jeff @Sketch6995. Youse is a good kid..  :D
    Yakster said:
    jlmarta said:
    jd50ae said:

Great news. 
    I think so too, Chris @Yakster. The table is handy. The top of the dam is at 900' above sea level. The lake level overtopped at 902'. They're in the process of lowering the lake level to 850' to handle upcoming storms. 

I can check the table periodically to see to see how they're doing. 
  • Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jlmarta
    That's not what my ex-wife says LOL.
    I'll send you some water wings, and waterproof herfador lol
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
    @jlmarta
    That's not what my ex-wife says LOL.
    I'll send you some water wings, and waterproof herfador lol
    More contraband I'd have to pack?  Uh, thanks - I think...  :p

And your ex- wife doesn't think youse is a good kid?  Is she a poor judge of character?  Or of characters?   :D
    Coyote Creek South of Anderson Dam is flooding parts of San Jose, lucky we're not downstream. 

Wow!  Just saw the news. San Jose is getting hit pretty hard. 

My prayers and best wishes to those affected... 
    Yes, we've been very lucky to not be affected by the San Jose flooding so far.  We're getting a break from the rain, but the temps are dropping now so I should fill up my spare propane canisters before the one I'm using runs out.  I estimate I have four hours left on that tank.

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love that flexseal joke. That's just effin funny.

Way back too many years ago, when I was a boatbuilder in Alviso, we had a long drought similarly broken by floods. Long droughts are often broken by flood. Course, at that time, the long drought was caused by global cooling, just as the flood that followed was caused by global cooling. The same guy who became Obama's science advisor on the topic, at the time he was a professor from the left coast who was behind the anthro global cooling thesis. I forget the name of his book. Some college up the way from us. It would be a riot to read now. Anyways -- Alviso got flooded when neighboring Milpitas' mayor decided to bulldoze Alviso's levee to prevent flooding in Milpitas -- thus flooding both. Boats under construction floated hither and yon, and landed on fence posts and such. The cops came by & told me I had to evacuate, even tho, as I pointed out, I was on a schooner afloat, already launched, and in the water, with provisioons aboard. Course I didn't. I had no car to worry about; but foresightful people around me stashed their spare cars atop the levee & asked me to watch over them. Seemed like a brilliant idea. Then came TV news crews riding on half tracks driven by National Guard. To make their way down the levee, these giant Nat Guard vehicles bulldozed cars off the levee into the water. The news crews wore hard hats, don't ask me why. So hundreds of cars were drowned in order to show a picture on the toob. Excellent. San Jose was about twenty feet below sea level at the time. You could stand on the levee along the Guadelupe river and look at the roof of the old yacht club. This is because peat oxydizes (essentially burns flamelessly) at a given rate of like 3/8 inch per year. So the whole mess, soon as they cleared the swamp, down it began to go. Hence the levees. 

Anyways. Just was thinking of the whole fubarious fiasco this morning.

Kali. At least you got a bullet train.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Bullet train??  Really? 

The only bullet train I know about is called Amtrak. My child bride and I rode it one time from Sacramento to Reno. It only took us 6 hours to get to Reno.  :p

A number of years ago, a co-worker and her husband took Amtrak from California to Chicago. She had two weeks vacation. It only took
    them 9 days to get to Chicago. 

Bullet train??  Hmmph. 

See, Amtrak doesn't want to haul passengers. The money is in freight. But, in order to continue receiving the roughly $1 Billion per year subsidy that Amtrak has been collecting for over 40 years, they have to haul passengers. 

Maybe The Donald will be able to do something about that....  :)
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here I thought you had a bullet train going from LA to Sacramento, all built under budget and on schedule by an American firm and using American cars. Maybe I was misinformed.

I like the train. Fun way to travel. Not here. Recently, I looked into taking a train from Dull-Aware to Little Rock, to pick up a murdersickle and ride it home. Turns out they take you to Arkansas via Chicago. Dudes, how bout get a map. 

The east coast bullet (Acela) rocks. You can get from here to DC in an eyeblink. I took the train to Rutledge VT not long ago on a similar errand, fetching my new to me Moto Guzzi. Two hours to NY, 5 to Rutland. Nice ride. Got plugs for your chargers and wifi and beers. Cheap as dirt with a senior discount. Great way to travel. On the way back, soon as I hit Joisey it was traffic jam stop and go for two hours. The train, you just power right past that stuff.

Best train I ever took was from Yucatan to San Diego. Nice little alcove apartment, gorgeous views thru the mountains. Great trip.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

edited February 2017
    Yeah. Maybe some day. Here's what Wikipedia has to say:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_High-Speed_Rail

I like the part about it having, by law, to operate without a subsidy. If The Donald could quash the subsidy being paid to Amtrak it'd go a long way toward fixing our budgetary problems.... 
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ole Phil Swift is at it again…
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xzN6FM5x_E

Now the leaking dams can just be patched right up!
    When he cuts the boat in half is right after he just destroyed some serious coke :D  
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.