Home Cigar 101

Too lazy to read through all the humidor posts.

So i'm thinking about buying a new humidor. I already have the COTMC humidor that i got when i bought a year subscription. I wasn't as big into cigars then as I was now and thought that a 20 cigar humidor would be more than enough. Well i was wrong and am now looking for a humidor in the 100 ct size. I was wondering if there were any recommendations for humidors on the cigar.com website? And then once I get my humidor, should I buy a different humidification device than what it comes with, different hygrometer???

Comments

• dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Summary response:

Based on what you've said, you need a 250-ct, with a digital hygrometer and 65% humidity beads.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    dutyje:
    Summary response:

Based on what you've said, you need a 250-ct, with a digital hygrometer and 65% humidity beads.
    maybe 250-300.
  • It seems that most of the people on this forum recommend the humidity beads. I personally use the Boveda packets. They work great, but there is the added expense of replacing them every two months.

Do you guys who use the beads find any trouble with them that causes you to replace them regularly or are they pretty much set and forget?
  • rmccloudrmccloud Posts: 160 ✭✭
    In my experience with beads (~ 6 months), I have not had to replace them at all. I have to add a little bit of distilled water to them every couple of weeks or so but other than that, they are a set and forget.
    8-Ball:
    Ask again later
  • What about the cigar jar humidors,do you need to do anything special to them? Mine has a humidifier that sticks to the top,I was told to soak it once a month in water,any thing else? wipe it with a fresh sponge?Thanks
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    I had all kinds of problems keeping my levels steady until I went to the 65% beads. Now it's rock solid. The maker says they'll last forever. Remember that the size ratings are rather arbitrary. If you like larger sticks, a 75 count humi will probably only hold 50. I have a 75 and a 300, both are pretty full. Of course, keeping it fairly full will also help maintain your humidity levels too. I've been using the smaller humi as an "incoming" of sorts to balance things out before moving them to the larger one. This also has the added benefit of keeping things separate if I should happen to get some nasties in a new shipment - hasn't happened yet, but if I did pick up some buggies I'd rather see it happen in the smaller humi.
    You could put a tube of beads in a jar humi, that would work well too.
    Celtic Rider:
    What about the cigar jar humidors,do you need to do anything special to them? Mine has a humidifier that sticks to the top,I was told to soak it once a month in water,any thing else? wipe it with a fresh sponge?Thanks
    jars are ready to go right away. I would use the beads in the jar becauss jars dont work the way that humidors do. they are a arue seal. If there is too much RH in there it wont ever go away. many have problems with mold in jars. i too reccomend the beads because they will soak up some humidity. a good way to get beads in a the jar is to take one of those metal tubes that some cigars come in and, with a pin, poke a bunch of holes in it. fill it with beads and place in the humidor like you would a cigar.
  • Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    Celtic Rider:
    What about the cigar jar humidors,do you need to do anything special to them? Mine has a humidifier that sticks to the top,I was told to soak it once a month in water,any thing else? wipe it with a fresh sponge?Thanks
    And to add on to Kuzi...while jars are good for everyday smokes, you do not want to use it to age them or store moderate to long term. Cigars are lazy, and like to lay down while they age.

As for the original post...100 is too small. I have a 150, and it is too small. I wish I had a 300.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Smoke=Fire:
    As for the original post...100 is too small. I have a 150, and it is too small. I wish I had a 300.
    I have a 300, and it's too small.
    urbino:
    Smoke=Fire:
    i have two 150 cts and a 50...

too small
    kuzi16:
    urbino:
    Smoke=Fire:

too small
    So our combined recommendation...buy a few 4 X 8 sheets of spanish cedar and a good seal for your closet door. :)
    Smoke=Fire:
    kuzi16:
    urbino:
    Smoke=Fire:

too small
    So our combined recommendation...buy a few 4 X 8 sheets of spanish cedar and a good seal for your closet door. :)
    As long as it's a big closet *sage nod*
    Smoke=Fire:
    Smoke=Fire:
    kuzi16:
    urbino:
    Smoke=Fire:

too small
    And as everyone who's ever owned, bought, sold, built, or lived in a house knows, closets are never big enough.
    urbino:
    Smoke=Fire:
    Smoke=Fire:
    kuzi16:
    urbino:
    Smoke=Fire:

too small
    And as everyone who's ever owned, bought, sold, built, or lived in a house knows, closets are never big enough.
    Only if you are married ;)
    I saw a collection of beer cans on the history vhannel last night. the guy built a house just to store his can collection. there was a rediculous number of cans. maybe 50000+ or something like that.

this brings up to somehting i hinted at before... Humidor house.

ill say no more.
    They fill up eventually even when you're single, Smoke. It just takes longer.

My college zoology prof had little houses rented all over town to keep his various zoological collections in.
  • Thanks for the tips guys!! A couple more questions, would a month or longer be good for a jar? How often should u soak your humidifer in distilled water? When dealing with a wood humidor how often should you season it? How often should you soak the humidifier then? If you don't have a thing to read the humidity, what's another good way to judge the smokes? Thanks
    Celtic Rider:
    Thanks for the tips guys!! A couple more questions, would a month or longer be good for a jar? How often should u soak your humidifer in distilled water? When dealing with a wood humidor how often should you season it? How often should you soak the humidifier then? If you don't have a thing to read the humidity, what's another good way to judge the smokes? Thanks
    Unless you're a very experienced cigar smoker, you need a thing to read the humidity (hygrometer). Consider it essential. You can tell how often you need to recharge your humidifier by reading your hygrometer; when it says the humidity is low, recharge the humidifier. As for seasoning a wooden humidor, as long as you keep your humidifier charged, you should never have to season it after the first time.
  • anyone else want to answer some of my previous questions, I just wanted diffrent feedback from diffrent people. Anyone know if that gel for the humidors works pretty good? Thanks
  • DiasFlakDiasFlak Posts: 342 ✭✭
    i used the gel when i started and still do i hold a constant 70% rh but thats in my small 50ct humidor from what i have read most people like them but i also use the distilled water on the sponge in my other one it works fine aswell just needs more maintaining i would say over all the crystals are best though less work!
  • so I'm getting a humidor on Friday, and I don't want to screw it up! It sounds like I am going to need to pick a method, 1 the seasoning and let a sponge sit in it for a week or 2.the gel. I don't need to do both? Do you let the gel sit for a week as well? Thanks for all of your time. I've been smokin cigars for a while now, I just go lto my local shop and get a few for the weekend. But now I'm Gettin into buyin more and keepin em as well as joinin the COTMC
    iam new to it aswell but i would say go with the gel it is easier to maintain but i wouldnt use both but read the forum some more things will pop up and im sure more people will reply to this i think in the end it is personal preference do what you find right also what count humidor you get?
    To season the humidor, place a small dish of water inside and leave it closed for a week. You can use the gel to maintain humidity.
  • it's a 75
    dutyje:
    To season the humidor, place a small dish of water inside and leave it closed for a week. You can use the gel to maintain humidity.
    ...a small dish of distilled water...
    yes never use anything other than distilled water you dont want the minerals from regular water to get into your cigars!
    urbino:
    dutyje:
    ...a small dish of distilled water...
    thanks
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    That's something I've never understood, and have to disagree with. If you have a dish of water, and the water evaporates, it's the same thing that happens when you distill water. Any minerals are going to stay in the dish! Unless your water smells horrible I wouldn't worry about it, and just use tap water. Just my opinion though.
    well that could be the case but i like to play it safe but maybe we should look into that more