Home Non Cigar Related

Computers-Software-Smarthphones

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2017 in Non Cigar Related
A thread to talk about what works and doesn't work.
Good and bad software.
Good and bad add ons.
Boycotts and applause.
Get by with a little help from your friends.

Comments

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I will start of course.
    Google and Malwarebytes.
    I run Malwarebytes everyday and it also loads when I start the PC up.
    There are more data mining "not allowed" links from Google then I can count. If I haven't run a scan there will be at least 2 attempts every time I hit a link or browse something. If I run a scan everyday one out of three will find 120 to 1200 "Potentially Unwanted Programs", "PUPS". Every Time Google updates it adds a ton of "PUPS", and removing them has caused no adverse problems what so ever. They got their nose in our business. No surprise there.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had malwarebytes on one of my old desktops and had to get rid of it because it was the source of many problems - viruses and the like. I’m curious to know what they’ve done to effect such a major turnaround as you’re describing. 
    edited November 2017
    When I first used it there was a problem with WiseCare 365. It seems 2 of their Pups ended up on the removal list. But you can scroll and get them off,

As far as any other problems there hasn't been a single one. I have been using it for a little over a year. I can imagine with a name like that every hacker in the country would try and attack it.
    edited November 2017
    Another piece of software i would like to recommend is ZookaWare.
    I use Ccleaner almost every day and it does a good job, but for a deeper and more thorough cleaner I have started using ZookaWare.
    It is fast and impressive. 
    Both cleaners allow you to control what is cleaned. I have run ZookaWare with no unchecked boxes and let it do its thing with no problems at all, and it cleans a lot of unused and unwanted junk. 

Someday there will be a single cleaner and uninstaller that will get rid of everything at one time.

I use REVO uninstaller but have to use a search program to get rid of traces, even though REVO has a great after the uninstaller is finished scan operation.

Both types of software have really improved over the years but neither get rid of 100% and I use a 2nd to further clean up. I guess the saving grace is they are faster and safer to use.

WiseCare 365 also makes a great search and remove the traces. And I think it can be downloaded as a stand alone.

The first time I ran a PC cleaner I was awe struck when I saw the amount of space that was taken up by old files, no longer used and supposedly uninstalled programs, orphan files and you name it. Those of you who haven't used these types of software and try it will be amazed. Just remember to take your time and look over everything that you check and you won't have any problems. 
    Tech Q&A: Deleting data forever, fighting robocalls, finding secret cameras and more

Do any of you understand what the removal of net regulations really mean?

The arguments, after you remove the doomsday people, are, on both sides so vastly different it is hard to make sense about any of it.

Going back to 2015 regs is the basic premise.
    But in just 2 short years Google, FB and the rest of them have taken over so much and gained power by leaps and bounds, so it is a bit scary.

Personally I think all of them should be broken up, and be forced to quit controlling the information we are all looking for. 

The only social media I belong to is a small local blog/forum and I am so well hidden there is no way any of my personal information is available. But the big guys can find anything and everything and that is another story. I don't trust any of them.
    Does anybody, anybody at all know how to transcribe recorder phone calls from a recorder that uses a sim card?
    I can see individual files but don't know how to play them.
    SIM card??  Whuzzat??
    jlmarta said:
    SIM card??  Whuzzat??
    A subscriber identity module or subscriber identification module (SIM) is an integrated circuit that is intended to securely store the international mobile subscriber ...

But I also have an SD card or two.
    Oh, no!!  Not a San Diego card!!  Good grief.....   :p
    Thanks for all the ideas. Updating VLC did the trick.
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    unbelievable:

ANYONE CAN HACK MACOS HIGH SIERRA JUST BY TYPING "ROOT"
    "We always see malware trying to escalate privileges and get root access," says Patrick Wardle, a security researcher with Synack. "This is best, easiest way ever to get root, and Apple has handed it to them on a silver platter."
    https://www.wired.com/story/macos-high-sierra-hack-root/
    edited December 2017
    I have a TARDIS usb hub with a flashing light. neaner...neaner...neaner

Post edited by jd50ae on
    unbelievable:

ANYONE CAN HACK MACOS HIGH SIERRA JUST BY TYPING "ROOT"
    "We always see malware trying to escalate privileges and get root access," says Patrick Wardle, a security researcher with Synack. "This is best, easiest way ever to get root, and Apple has handed it to them on a silver platter."
    https://www.wired.com/story/macos-high-sierra-hack-root/

Don't know why, but I have never liked Apple products.
    edited December 2017
    You guys are so helpful, maybe you can provide some input that’ll help me make a decision regarding a phone company - providing cellphone service. 

Ive been screwed-over one time too many by AT&T and am considering switching to Verizon. Have any of you had any bad experiences with Verizon?

i’m also gonna discontinue my internet access from AT&T. I was thinking about Comcast for internet but then the question arose about using the personal hotspot in my iPhone to use my laptop. That way, I wouldn’t have to pay for internet access. Any thoughts on that notion??

Thanks in advance, guys.  B)
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have good experience with Verizon, just don't fall for their weekly "new cheaper plans". A friend who programs phones once explained to me that modern cell phones use 3 location chips, that allow them priority access to the networks in those areas. If you purchase a used phone, or you move to a drastically new area, you are likely to have secondary access to the network with that physical phone. No matter what network, you want to try to buy in the area you will be using it in if you want the best reception.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    Good info. Thanks, Wayne @Wylaff. In my case, neither my phone nor my location will change - just the carrier. I’ll have to see whether Verizon has any plans that interest me. 
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had Cricket for a few years and am happy...  $35/mo. if you bring your own phone.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    Hmmm. I’ll have to look into that although price isn’t my main concern. I’d be more interested in their reception area coverage. 

Thanks a bunch, Petey @peter4jc.....   :p
    Well, in my area it seems my best choice will be Verizon. So I just went through the nerve-wracking process of unlocking (jailbreaking) my iPhone so I could switch over to a different carrier. 

Whew!!  Talk about sweating the small sh it, ya have to erase all of your phone’s content after backing up to the cloud. They’re asking you to gamble whether all your sh it will still be there when you’re done. Thankfully, it all seems to have worked out alright. 

Now I can tell AT&T to stuff their company and all their products where the sun doesn’t shine. They’ve lied to me, billed me for services I can’t get, given me wrong support advice, etc. one time too many. But I think the sneakiest BS that they pulled was during my last request for service when they couldn’t accommodate me. The tech says, “write this number down. If I can’t fix your problem just call this number.”  The sneaky bas tard didn’t bother to tell me that the number was answered by Apple Support. At least the Coke Sacker has a sense of humor....  
    I am probably going to have to make a long trip after the first of the year.
    I broke down and bought a Samsung Tracfone from HSN. One year 3500 assorted mins for $80, and then I can trash it. I am in over my head. Why can't I just turn it on and it makes phone calls? No, I am required to enter so much info that I have no idea where to find, and they forgot to send the SIM card.
    Should have gone to Wal-Mart and got a throw away. But no, I had to buy something fancy.
    Sigh, another holdout falls. My condolences, jd50ae. Guess I am the last phoneless on this forum.
    Sigh, another holdout falls. My condolences, jd50ae. Guess I am the last phoneless on this forum.

And my finger are too big for the barely visible keyboard. It will be going back.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ordered USB OTG (On The Go) cables for my Android LG K20+ phone and it's pretty neat.  It has a micro-USB end that plugs into the phone and a female USB A connector that you plug accessories into.  I tried my USB headset, sounded good to me, but when I called people they said the audio was bad.  When I connected the Logitech USB Unifying Receiver that pairs to my wireless keyboard and mouse I really started to appreciate this cable.

It's nice to be able to post to the forum at work (they frown on using work devices for personal uses) or at home without having to start up a computer, and using a mouse on the phone is a real trip.

It's supposed to work with USB thumb drives too, but I haven't tried that yet.

If I were to do this again, I'd buy the Y cable that lets you charge your phone while using your USB peripheral.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    What are we evolving to? Glad I won't be around to live in this kind of world:

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/technology-42658211/ces-2018-hushme-mask-lets-users-make-private-calls
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    ^So in baseball now the pitcher and catcher can have conversation? wtf
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
    Do any of you understand what the removal of net regulations really mean?

The arguments, after you remove the doomsday people, are, on both sides so vastly different it is hard to make sense about any of it.

Going back to 2015 regs is the basic premise.
    But in just 2 short years Google, FB and the rest of them have taken over so much and gained power by leaps and bounds, so it is a bit scary.

Personally I think all of them should be broken up, and be forced to quit controlling the information we are all looking for. 

The only social media I belong to is a small local blog/forum and I am so well hidden there is no way any of my personal information is available. But the big guys can find anything and everything and that is another story. I don't trust any of them.

If the problem is that the big guys have become too intrusive and powerful, then how would the solution be to put the biggest, most powerful, most intrusive outfit of all in charge? 

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

TrackOFF ELITE
    Impressive
    Special on HSN, 4 devices and no yearly renewal.
    "It encrypts traffic and masks your location so you can browse anonymously"
    It will connect you to a VPN that can be turned off and on when you want it.
    Comes on a usb thingy so you can protect 4 different devices. Installation was 2 minutes and a snap.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can one watch an Amazon Prime UK title from an Amazon Prime US account with a VPN tunnnel/proxy?
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

Well, I took all I could take. Gave the dam thing to my stepson. 
    @silvermouse, can I come back to the fold? It was a small relapse and it will not happen again, I promise.