Home Non Cigar Related

Most overrated cuisine

For me, I think the Americanized foods are overrated (e.g. Japanese and Mexican). Sushi is something I'll never really understand, and tex-mex seems to use just 6 ingredients to make their dishes which all seem to have a ton of cheese.

Comments

• ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gotta say Mexican. I'm talking about what big chain restaurants are putting out there....Nasty
    Now some of the small family run places around here are great. We have a place next door where I work I love. Everything is made fresh daily......The only problem is all the smells from their cooking in the morning drifts over to our place and I start getting hungry.
    It helps our business around lunch because I have some customers stop by to buy things off us so their men can run next door to buy something for lunch.      

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Irish cuisine...
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Possum. It just has to be done right. (In gravy)
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    French restaurants
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    ^  Very light salt and pepper, let sit till room temp then cook to rare/med rare is how I roll. 
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    seagull. The fishermen in Provincetown, back when it was just a fishing villiage, used to catch seagulls and pen them for a week, feeding them anything except fish, harvesting them instead of chickens for Sunday dinner. 
    I had raccoon once, it had been living by the herring run before it discovered my friend's chickens and met its final demise. It was awful. I won't eat carnivores unless the apocalypse has arrived. Groundhog,on the other hand, especially the ones I catch in my garden, is pretty tasty. My wife calls the legs 'pot roast on a stick'.
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got to eat lion once. it was cool to say I did it, but it was truly disgusting. Animals tend to taste like their diet. Anything that eats rotting carcass is going to taste like rotting carcass. I would still do it again. Just to say I did it. That and shark put me on the peak of the food chain. 
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I think some people misunderstand the term, "overrated!"

French
    It's pretentious.  There's a lot of good stuff in French food, but it's not the end-all-be-all of cooking.  I get why "classically" trained chefs are taught French methods, but a lot of those skills don't actually make the food better. 

Next on my list is BBQ.  I love it, don't get me wrong, but after a lot of it when living in Memphis, I just don't buy into the hype surrounding competitions and things.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pangolin is not all it's talked up to be.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Martel said:
    I think some people misunderstand the term, "overrated!"
    I think it started with the word cuisine being confused with "critter". 
    Eggs Ackley. Possum ain't cuisine; it's road kill.

======================

Chinese. You got less meat diced smaller & spread sparser, for wee tiny people sporting teeny tiny teeth. And just the smell of it... ugh.

MSG
    does not rhyme with me.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

edited September 2018
    Everyone's being too polite in not calling it redneck / cajun / hillbilly cuisine. :D

• 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had caribou once and it was unbelievably good, same with rattlesnake nachos. I gotta give another win to French cuisine though, way overrated and not something I ever seen out or order
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    Yakster said:
    Everyone's being too polite in not calling it redneck / cajun / hillbilly cuisine. :D
    AKA; Poor folk food. 

Had one old guy in Kentucky tell me "If you ever grill opossum and raccoon at the same time, leave the head and pawls on so you can tell them apart"
    Don't get me wrong, I love Cajun cuisine.

Not a huge fan of chicken feet, and not sure about chittlings.

The feet are the most profitable part of a chicken.....I'm sure how or why I know that. 
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think there is such a thing as an "over-rated" cuisine. But I think there are a lot of bad executions of good cuisine. 
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:

Best venison I ever had was roadkill. True story.
  • firehouseguyfirehouseguy Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Foie gras 
    Cigars were made to be smoked, whiskey was made to be drank and women were made to be loved. The only thing I try to age is myself. 
    Bob_Luken said:
    Yakster said:

Best venison I ever had was roadkill. True story.
    same here.
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chipotle, is horrible and anything bobby flay makes/endorses.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    French.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Subway don't get it....Starbucks sucks