Home Non Cigar Related
Options

you can't make this stuff up

Comments

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,703 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Profit driven Health Care is what Americans vote for.  This is the inevitable outcome.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends what you call rehab therapy. If an immobilized oldster 30 days from death receives 15 minutes of joint manipulation (what they call range of motion) 4 times a day to prevent painful frozen up knees and feet, then that, what with another 15 minutes documentation time, checking boxes and filling forms, each visit, before the nurse's aide moves on to the next immobile oldster, then that, by their definition (2 hours PT per day) constitutes high intensity rehabilitation. If this same oldster was bed-ridden at home, then Aunt Gertie would simply say "Paul likes it when I rub his feet and tuck a piller up under his legs, don'tcha know".

Better than leaving them lie there and hurt.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    webmost said:
    Depends what you call rehab therapy. If an immobilized oldster 30 days from death receives 15 minutes of joint manipulation (what they call range of motion) 4 times a day to prevent painful frozen up knees and feet, then that, what with another 15 minutes documentation time, checking boxes and filling forms, each visit, before the nurse's aide moves on to the next immobile oldster, then that, by their definition (2 hours PT per day) constitutes high intensity rehabilitation. If this same oldster was bed-ridden at home, then Aunt Gertie would simply say "Paul likes it when I rub his feet and tuck a piller up under his legs, don'tcha know".

Better than leaving them lie there and hurt.

In practice, I agree, but what you're describing is what I used to do daily in my routine as an RN as a part of an immobile patients care, the nurses aides will sometimes assist but usually don't have time.  

I think what's being described in the article is not routine range-of-motion care, but rather is exercise performed by Physical Therapy techs that is, by its nature, intended to return the patient to a viable state.  When it's done to a patient with NO hope of ever returning to an independent life, it's more like torture without purpose, except to enhance revenue gain from the payor.  

At least, that's what I'm talking about.  Perhaps I misunderstood the article, but I've lived that reality.  

Also, the nurses aide rarely has the education necessary to evaluate the tolerance level appropriate to the individual patient, although many of them are "naturals" and will do fine.  

My point being that this should be a function already provided by the appropriate level of nursing care.  It isn't, though, because "Corporate" got rid of as many of the nurses as they possibly could to enhance the revenue return used to determine the level of administrative bonus compensation.  

Again, I've lived that reality as well, as one of the remaining RN's left with too much of my time being devoted to ensuring those bonus returns, not for myself but for those corporate level executives, and not enough time to devote to appropriate care for the poor souls suffering in those beds.  

I can't stand that the admin's answer is to utilize another department and charge more to do what should have already been done.  
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can trust google.

search for 'american inventors'...
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    F69K g00gle, changed my search engine to a different low life bag licking outfit so didn't come up with your search result til 4 or 5 down. Trying my best to avoid g00gle but damn near impossible
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dirtdude said:
    F69K g00gle, changed my search engine to a different low life bag licking outfit so didn't come up with your search result til 4 or 5 down. Trying my best to avoid g00gle but damn near impossible
    Agree. I use 2 different search engines. When I was looking for memes in favor of Kav it was obvious that google is bent.
  • Options
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,703 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this DARPA project sounds dangerous:
    http://science.sciencemag.org/content/362/6410/35
  • Options
    You probably knew some of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lu7qzD2xb8

This is a great series. Check it out.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
    Sorry, JD. Much as I’d like to see what you’ve posted I don’t do Fakebook, Twitter or any of those others and I don’t tweet, snort, or giggle. I’ve been known to fart and wheeze a bit, though. Does that count???   :p
  • Options
    YankeeMan said:

I found that getting out of the mafia is easier than getting out of facebook.
    Witness protection much?

• Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Major social media is ran by the CIA, part of a population control experiment and it’s been working better than they ever imagined.
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark Zuckerburg is definitely a guy I’d kick in the nads as hard as I could if I ever saw him IRL, I think a lot of people would cheer lol
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Years ago I let one of my brothers talk me into signing up for Fakebook. Once I saw what a monumental waste of time it was I tried to ‘unjoin’. 

I followed their directions and was then told, in essence, okay, we’ll unjoin you but the process takes two weeks. If anyone at all sends you a message or contacts you otherwise at any point during that two week span, the two-week clock starts all over again. I thought I’d never get out of that bvllshit organization. A few folks I’d never heard of tried messaging me a time or two and the band played on. And on. 

But finally, a two week span went by with no contacts and I got out. IMHO social media of most species simply sucks. With a capital S. It’s designed for folks who have absolutely no life of their own. 
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
     IMHO social media of most species simply sucks. 
    He posts on social media...
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Touche Wayne-O, your turn
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

We should all wear hazmat suits when flying :o 

https://youtu.be/tKJEDHKPyhg

Investigative team find that high levels of 

bacteria may await airline passengers.

• Options
    ^^^^ @miller65rod ^^^^
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <3 you Marty.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always take Clorox wipes with me. These flights are always nasty. I refuse to eat the crap the serve as well. 
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Engineering company Boston Dynamics and its Atlas robot...

https://youtu.be/fRj34o4hN4I

https://youtu.be/LikxFZZO2sk
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Senate Dem hopeful Kyrsten Sinema said 'I don't care' if people go to fight for Taliban against US

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/senate-dem-hopeful-kyrsten-sinema-said-i-dont-care-if-people-go-to-fight-for-taliban-against-us

I think I'll go have a drink now, and it won't be koolaid.
  • Options
    Tourist calls 911 after spotting whales while boating in Washington: report

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/woman-on-whale-watching-boat-trip

Gee whales in the ocean, whod a thunk.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    “I’m president and you’re not.”

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/president-trump-in-contentious-60-minutes-interview-defends-relationships-with-putin-and-kim-reminds-stahl-im-president

Get em Trump, and about time. Oh well, at least Stahl's career got a kickstart.