Home Non Cigar Related
Options

What's for dinner?

Comments

• Options
    Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I literally ate myself stupid on endless shrimp at red lobster 45 minutes ago and my stomach is telling me I need that pizza right now. My local place hasn't had a good "stupid" special for a few weeks and a need my fix
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    leftover pizza, a large salad--baby lettuce, arugula, wild tomatoes, and goat cheese, dressed with olive oil and plum vinegar.
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm...endless shrimp? Is it that time again?
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roast chicken, roasted potatoes, beets with goat cheese, butternut squash, marble-sized wild tomato garnish, and apple crisp made from some fairly buggy (we cut those sections out, lol) red delicious apples. All homegrown except for the chicken.  Fall harvests make gardening especially enjoyable.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That one sounds great honestly. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    If I can get this out through the tears...

French Onion Soup. 

I tried my daughter's swim goggles while slicing, but I wear prescription glasses, so that was kind of awkward.

Just took a taste and it's going to be good.  A little salty, but the onions have a great amount of sweet to them after cooking them down to GBD.

Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Martel said:
    If I can get this out through the tears...

French Onion Soup. 

I tried my daughter's swim goggles while slicing, but I wear prescription glasses, so that was kind of awkward.

Just took a taste and it's going to be good.  A little salty, but the onions have a great amount of sweet to them after cooking them down to GBD.

Use a mandolin next time and go fast, reload and go fast.  No tears and everything is exactly the same, you will get a much more even caramelization this way.  low and slow do not rush it and do not stand over the pot when stirring.  Also after the onions are fully done (not burnt, but brown as hell) deglaze with a small amount of red wine.  No need to thank me, just enjoy.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love hearing advice like this from someone who actually went to cooking school. Great info, thanks Patrick. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭

Use a mandolin next time and go fast, reload and go fast.  No tears and everything is exactly the same, you will get a much more even caramelization this way.  low and slow do not rush it and do not stand over the pot when stirring.  Also after the onions are fully done (not burnt, but brown as hell) deglaze with a small amount of red wine.  No need to thank me, just enjoy.
    My mandolin broke a while ago and I don't have storage space for one, unfortunately.

And I prefer a little cognac and chicken broth to deglaze.  A little chicken broth adds something to a beef stock heavy dish, and the cognac is a little more oomph than the wine.  Plus, I can always flambe it if I want to have some fun.

And my onions were perfect.  I've been told to just roast them in a disposable aluminum pan in the oven.  It makes cleanup easy, but I prefer the cast iron.

Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^^  I'd eat that

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had leftover pizza tonight, Tandoori Chicken and Chicken Tikka Masala.  Better fresh last Sunday.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This week's 'Stupid Pizza of the Week' is a Buffalo Chicken Pizza with buffalo sauce, our amazing fried chicken toes (popcorn chicken), cheddar, mozzarella, cream cheese, bacon, and bleu cheese crumbles.after action report: needs more sauce and bleu cheese.
    Cream Cheese?
    All the rest sounds good
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All you need is some hot garlic sauce.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    All you need is some hot garlic sauce.
    How do you make that? 
  • Options
    Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Diver43 said:
    This week's 'Stupid Pizza of the Week' is a Buffalo Chicken Pizza with buffalo sauce, our amazing fried chicken toes (popcorn chicken), cheddar, mozzarella, cream cheese, bacon, and bleu cheese crumbles.after action report: needs more sauce and bleu cheese.
    Cream Cheese?
    All the rest sounds good
    Cream cheese on a pizza will change your life. It wasn't the best addition to this one. But still pretty good. A few in the past have made excellent use of it with jalapenos and bacon. Just like a popper. 
  • Options
    BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cottage cheese, grapes, cantaloupe.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:

Grilled cheese, horseradish jack cheese, made the way @Patrickbrick taught me, with a side of coleslaw.  Following up w/ an original Klondike bar.

Looks "Homemade"
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    You had me at horseradish.
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're welcome.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Nice.  Basic poor man's lobster. Turned out delicious tonight.

• Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^That doesn't look like crawfish
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    Frozen tilapia, boiled 10 min in water with some white vinegar in it, then put on a pan, melted butter and smoked paprika applied, and broiled for five minutes.
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    A 20oz ribeye steak, medium-rare, smothered with bleu cheese crumbles plus a loaded baked potato and a small salad. Oh, and a glass of Merlot. 

And i’m having a second glass at home. I mean, WTF??  It’s my birthday so I can have whatever I want, right?  Might even have a third glass......   B)
    Happy Birthday