Home Cigar 101
Options

Ceder Sleeves, Tubes, and Coffin Warning.....

Comments

• Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    james40:
    Thanks for the post.

I have my first and only Anejo that was generously gifted by a botl here, so I checked it out last night. Here's what I found.
    imageimage
    So, should I try to rub this off or toss it? I was saving this for a special occassion so I'm glad I found this now.
    Just rub it off and should be fine (IMHO). Just make sure there is nothing on the Foot. If so, then it may be inside as well.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Ahh Damm it. Hate to see that. I have never had to throw away a cigar with mold and would hate to, But definitely get it out of your humidor and away from the others.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Thanks for the tips, guys. I completely isolated it and if I remember, the foot looked fine. That's good news!!
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    We move a whole shttload of sticks around this forum guys. And is highly likely that mold also gets transported. It would be wise to inspect your cigars closely when you get them in the mail.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I almost always unwrap everything, but, there are exceptions. So, after reading the above, I checked my only tubed cigar, a Monte Cristo Habana, from Cuba, gift from a friend in the music industry who travels. I've been reluctant to smoke it, been in there for over a year now, fortunately no mold, but I'm thinking, once I'm over this stupid cold, it's going up in smoke. Cool to have a "real Cuban" in the humidor, but, life's too short to leave good cigars to posterity!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    james40:
    Thanks for the post.

I have my first and only Anejo that was generously gifted by a botl here, so I checked it out last night. Here's what I found.
    imageimage
    So, should I try to rub this off or toss it? I was saving this for a special occassion so I'm glad I found this now.
    I un-cedared mine as well and found the same thing on one of my Anejos. I "brushed" it off and put it back in the cello...I will le tyou know if anything changes over the next few weeks.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    james40:
    Thanks for the post.

imageimage
    From the looks of it, I would rub it off hopefully it will easily come off, then i would probably smoke it . I would probabaly not return it to the humi
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I got 90% percent off pretty easily and the foot is fine so it will be smoked after a little more attention. So glad I found and read this thread. Thank you.br>
    Congrats on 2000 posts Kid.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    So what's up with all the mold on AF cedar wrapped/coffined cigars? Doesn't seem like anyone is having nearly the same problem with other brand's cedar or coffined cigars. I wonder if it's the Dominican Republic's weather or something they do during storage which creates the mold there and then it blooms later in everyone's humi. Anyone have a theory?
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    Alright, my only coffin (a Camacho Liberty 2010) and what I found...

So there it is, safe and sound - WHEW!!! Would have been righteously pissed and saddened if this had been jacked up, great gift from a great friend.

This makes me wonder if my box of 3 Pre-Embargos are ok or not.
    I got them as a gift back in January 2011 and have not even removed the shrink wrap from the outside of the box yet.

I was hoping to wait at least until January 2012 before opening them and have been storing them in a humidor between 64-68% RH and 66-70 deg. F.

Do you think mine will still be good like your Liberty 2010?

Has anyone else with the Pre-Embargos checked them?

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    The Sniper:
    Alright, my only coffin (a Camacho Liberty 2010) and what I found...

So there it is, safe and sound - WHEW!!! Would have been righteously pissed and saddened if this had been jacked up, great gift from a great friend.
    This makes me wonder if my box of 3 Pre-Embargos are ok or not. I got them as a gift back in January 2011 and have not even removed the shrink wrap from the outside of the box yet. I was hoping to wait at least until January 2012 before opening them and have been storing them in a humidor between 64-68% RH and 66-70 deg. F. Do you think mine will still be good like your Liberty 2010? Has anyone else with the Pre-Embargos checked them?
    If they have been stored in the manner you stated, I would have no concern about them at all. Even so, Camacho is a brand I would have little concern about as far as being the source of beetles.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    If they have been stored in the manner you stated, I would have no concern about them at all. Even so, Camacho is a brand I would have little concern about as far as being the source of beetles.

Ok great, thanks! That makes me feel better.
    Now all I have to do is wait out the next two months until I open them.

• Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Bump for the noobs... I went digging for an anejo...and found a King B with mold under the cedar sleeve. Bum part is I just buoght this a couple weeks ago and I always check. Needless to say, I pulled all sleeves and found a Party short tubo with mold too. So I guess I jsut joined hte pull the cedar/coffin/tubo immediately club lol...and will be smoking the first CC gifted to me, thanks Laker, and a King B tonight!
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where I am, I cannot leave shrink wrap on the boxes or cigars in tubos or mold seems to occur quite often. If they are in cello, with cedar wrap, I have not run into any problems with those. I do not have any coffins to be concerned about. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    I buy a lot of tube cigars. (As anyone that trades with me may find out.) Where they are in my cabinet the rh never ever spikes higher than 67. (Check all 3 hygrometers twice daily. And temp is nvr over 67-68. Not once had problems with mold. I open tubes daily remove cigars for bout 10 seconds put em back seal em back. This may seem like work but smoking 2 gars a day I'm in my humidors twice daily anyways. No biggie to me.
  • Options
    aeon_spiral@yahoo.com:
    I buy a lot of tube cigars. (As anyone that trades with me may find out.) Where they are in my cabinet the rh never ever spikes higher than 67. (Check all 3 hygrometers twice daily. And temp is nvr over 67-68. Not once had problems with mold. I open tubes daily remove cigars for bout 10 seconds put em back seal em back. This may seem like work but smoking 2 gars a day I'm in my humidors twice daily anyways. No biggie to me.
    My cooler is solid at 65-66 all the time, never fluctuates with beads. My CC humi is at 68-69 with boveda. It happened in both. I store my cigars and organie them by vendor in boxes stacked in my cooler so going through them daily is not an option. Personally, I'd rather not worry about it.
  • Options
    Strange that some have the problem and others don't I wonder why? I wonder if it has anything to do with distribution
  • Options
    aeon_spiral@yahoo.com:
    Strange that some have the problem and others don't I wonder why? I wonder if it has anything to do with distribution
    I would suspect that it is their area. The pacific Northwest, along the Oregon and Washington coast is generally a high humidity area, along with some Florida areas, some southern Texas areas and I would suspect that the rest of the central southern state areas have the same general high humidity.

I would also suspect that where the cigars are stored, shipped and distributed would have a huge impact on it too.

Personally, I like to keep my humidors between 65-67%. When I first started smoking cigars, I read all kinds of things saying that 70% was ideal. Well, after a while and some experimentation, I found that to make them to MY liking and not have half the draw problems, that 65% would more where I wanted to be. At the 65%, it lessens any problems I have with draws, lessens my chances of things like bugs and mold and for me, it makes my cigars far more enjoyable.

Would that work for someone else? I don't know.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    Its very dry where I live. It's seems that it is most common with fuente and tubos
  • Options
    You almost have to wonder if the cedar isn't dry when they are installing it in the tubos or on the cigars.
    If it is the same manufacturer that the problem is prevalent with, then it is possible that their cedar supply isn't properly drying the cedar. Or the cedar supplier has mold spores in the place that they are manufacturing the cedar.

Given the circumstances, I would have to imagine that the latter of the two is the most probable.

I would think that if the cedar was installed with too high moisture (or wet) and had mold spores present, it would be a recipe for growth.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    Rail_JockeyRail_Jockey Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    Just checked my anejos and reconquestas....they are fine, but i took them out of the coffin, and out of the cedar sleeves just to be safe!
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    aeon_spiral@yahoo.com:
    It has to do with humidity. I haven't ever had mold problems with sleeves or tubos, but I keep my humidors around 63% RH...
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just go ahead and remove them from the sleeves, tubes and coffins.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    Bump for the noobs... I went digging for an anejo...and found a King B with mold under the cedar sleeve. Bum part is I just buoght this a couple weeks ago and I always check. Needless to say, I pulled all sleeves and found a Party short tubo with mold too. So I guess I jsut joined hte pull the cedar/coffin/tubo immediately club lol...and will be smoking the first CC gifted to me, thanks Laker, and a King B tonight!
    Found it to on the king b you sent me too....thanks for the heads up. I checked all tubos/cedar cigars in my humis and luckily this was the only 1 with a problem. No more cedar or tubos for me though, and the king b is now in "isolation" in my small travel humi by itself and will be getting smoked very soon.

• Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Heed these lessons well all who read them - this is the most suck-tastic feeling in the hobby IMHO. Lost half a box of LHC CORE's to mold (TOTALLY my fault for the way I took care of them during the initial separation from my wife) and an entire box of GoF tubos that wasnt my fault inseparate incidents. The TRULY crappy part of the GoF's was I found out about all this information about mold AFTER I had sent one of the tubos forward in a pass and another BOTL discovered it for me. A very sick, sinking feeling.

So again, heed these lessons well fellas - my suggestion is that if you have cedar, coffins or tubos, GET RID OF THE DAMNED THINGS! They're simply a mold culture waiting to happen. Other than aesthetics there is no need for any of them... and at the end of the day, you cant smoke aesthetics. :-)

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    To add an anecdote - I used to be a fan of taking cello off of all my cigars; well, the top drawer in my humi caught mold and I didn't catch it for quite awhile. By the time I found out, there was a BLANKET of mold in that drawer. After cleaning it out, I discovered the only cigars that didn't have any mold . . . were the ones in cello, even though they were surrounded by molded over cigars (and my moldy cigars, I mean they were completely covered in it; not just a few spots - COMPLETELY **** COVERED). After that, I'm now an advocate of leaving the cello on.
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    xmacro:
    To add an anecdote - I used to be a fan of taking cello off of all my cigars; well, the top drawer in my humi caught mold and I didn't catch it for quite awhile. By the time I found out, there was a BLANKET of mold in that drawer. After cleaning it out, I discovered the only cigars that didn't have any mold . . . were the ones in cello, even though they were surrounded by molded over cigars (and my moldy cigars, I mean they were completely covered in it; not just a few spots - COMPLETELY **** COVERED). After that, I'm now an advocate of leaving the cello on.
    This is true, unfortunately I also ran into this sometime ago. I didn't get mold to the same degree, but the cello covered sticks were protected. Fortunately most of mine were in cello at the time. Also, to add an additional comment. I got RYJ in a Tubo with cedar sleeve with mold on it when I received it from ccom. So I won't store mine in tubos with cedar sleeves either.
  • Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had three AF King T Tubos I had stored together, with the caps removed. a few week ago I noticed mold on the center one. Wiped the mold off and smoked it without any noticeable effect. Today I went through my AF Anjeo's and found a few with spots of mold under the ceder sleeves. Removed the sleeves and wiped them off. Two of them had mold near the foot, I plan on smoking them this week.

I've had the Anjeos for about two years in a Ziploc storage bin with with 65 rh Boveda packs, temp between 69 and 72 degrees.

Check your cigars with cedar sleeves, especially Arturo Fuentes.

attn @CalvinAndHobo

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found one small spot on the one you gave me. It wiped off easily. I say vherf tomorrow night we smoke em. @IndustMech

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is why I remove cedar sleeves. Check ones wrapped in tissue paper also.