Home Non Cigar Related

you can't make this stuff up

Comments

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ketamine?  The anesthesia drug that makes you barf and leaves a 2 day hangover?  I think I'll just stay depressed thank you very much.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭✭
    didn't know that about ketamine. Nonetheless, as a last resort I think it beats ECT, that treatment still sounds barbaric to me. I saw what it did to people when I was hospitalized. In some ways I think depression, like alcoholism and drug abuse, can be useful in helping one carry baggage until one's ego is strong enough to do what it takes to put it down.
  • Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dirtdude said:
    webmost said:
    TX98Z28 said:
    There's dumb, stupid and heres both.

This is an old pic. Often wondered who knows that model truck enough to say, given the buzz box and the leads, is he welding his gas tank?

Too lazy to dig it up but took a pic of a couple trucks in Africa, a Jac parked next to a Mann.
    I prefer to pick em  up with a forklift. Saves so much time jacking.
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    or, you could buy some from the kid down the street for what, $10-$20?

The FDA has approved the first drug to treat depression in decades, paving the way for Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ) to sell a nasal spray based on ketamine, which is often used as a party drug with the nickname "Special K". Esketamine, which will be sold under the brand name Spravato, will be available for adults who have already tried at least two other antidepressant treatments. The fast-acting drug will cost between $590 and $885 (before discounts and rebates) depending on the dosage. JNJ +0.5% premarket.
    I’ve heard on another forum that this stuff is even stronger than Ketamine. Big Pharma quality.
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • CigarsonistCigarsonist Posts: 267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    anything that will help, I’m all for it. I actually volunteered for the clinical trial they conducted at UAB a few years back. I’ve heard it can be beneficial (through people that have gone through clandestine therapy sessions) but it isn’t a long lasting fix. 6-8 months and you’re kinda back to square one
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rep. Ayanna Pressley proposes lowering voting age to 16, claims maturity not an issue

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pressley-proposes-lowering-voting-age-to-16-claims-maturity-not-an-issue

Someone please make it stop. Anything for votes is getting totally out of hand.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Dems just squashed a resolution today to ban illegals from voting.  I guess we know where they expect the votes in the next election to come from.  No wonder they don't want a wall.
    anything that will help, I’m all for it. I actually volunteered for the clinical trial they conducted at UAB a few years back. I’ve heard it can be beneficial (through people that have gone through clandestine therapy sessions) but it isn’t a long lasting fix. 6-8 months and you’re kinda back to square one
    You may or may not know it, but you just hit the nail squarely on the head.  You see, anti-depressants were not supposed to be a lifetime solution.  They were originally intended to help you over the hump, and make it easier to get your own head straight.  The idea was that over about a 6 month period you could get some relief from the depression so that you could work out your issues, and then not need medication.  

It was never supposed to be that you just took this pill forever and were no longer depressed.  If you haven't identified and resolved the underlying issue, this therapy isn't working for you and you need individual psychological help.  From a professional.  
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    edited March 2019
    Weld County, Colorado set to become a ‘2nd Amendment sanctuary’ in response to new gun control legislation

Banks like it, stores like it, and especially credit card companies love it since they get a few cents for every dollar spent.
    I don't like it:
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/talkingtech/2019/03/09/dont-ditch-cash-yet-but-paying-venmo-phones-cards-future/3110706002/
    Twitter loses it after video showing how to ‘peel and eat’ pineapple goes viral: ‘My whole life was a lie’

https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/twitter-loses-it-after-video-showing-how-to-peel-and-eat-pineapple-goes-viral-my-whole-life-was-a-lie

Wait until they see the proper way to peel a Pomegranate. 
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Turns out Jonah is German https://youtu.be/ChcEb6mlEUo
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

edited March 2019
    Suspected burglar crushed to death by 900-pound safe: police
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:

Scumbag attorney for the family of deceased scumbag - 

"While careers in burglary do entertain certain risks, clearly the homeowner is to blame because 900lb safes should be secured in a way that prevents injury to all, including thieving scumbags." 

Bob_Luken said:
    jd50ae said:

"While careers in burglary do entertain certain risks, clearly the homeowner is to blame because 900lb safes should be secured in a way that prevents injury to all, including thieving scumbags." 

Seriously?  

OK, new campaign.  Bring back the spirit of Judge Roy Bean.  

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Bob_Luken said:
    jd50ae said:

Seriously?  

OK, new campaign.  Bring back the spirit of Judge Roy Bean.  

Not actually, that I know of, but it wouldn't surprise me. It was my second thought when I read the story, "I bet the dumb scumbag's family will sue".

My first thought was. "Crap, the homeowner slept one night not knowing a dead guy was in his garage."
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least the dead guy qualifies for the Darwin Award.....  posthumously, of course...... 😏
    edited March 2019

modern plague:

Mental health issues increased significantly in young adults over last decade
    Shift may be due in part to rise of digital media, study suggests
    Date:
    March 15, 2019
    Source:
    American Psychological Association
    Summary:
    The percentage of young Americans experiencing certain types of mental health disorders has risen significantly over the past decade, with no corresponding increase in older adults, according to new research.

The rate of individuals reporting symptoms consistent with major depression in the last 12 months increased 52 percent in adolescents from 2005 to 2017 (from 8.7 percent to 13.2 percent) and 63 percent in young adults age 18 to 25 from 2009 to 2017 (from 8.1 percent to 13.2 percent). There was also a 71 percent increase in young adults experiencing serious psychological distress in the previous 30 days from 2008 to 2017 (from 7.7 percent to 13.1 percent). The rate of young adults with suicidal thoughts or other suicide-related outcomes increased 47 percent from 2008 to 2017 (from 7.0 percent to 10.3 percent).

https://psycnet.apa.org/doiLanding?doi=10.1037/abn0000410
    It is only talked about on one cable network. There have been a ton of warnings from a lot of people with serious credentials for years. 
    Plane turns round after Mom realizes she left her baby at the air[ort

https://nypost.com/2019/03/12/plane-turns-around-after-mom-realizes-she-left-baby-at-airport/

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost said:
    Plane turns round after Mom realizes she left her bhiaby at the air[ort

https://nypost.com/2019/03/12/plane-turns-around-after-mom-realizes-she-left-baby-at-airport/
    Exactly how, does one forget their baby at the airport?
    Isn't a baby kind of an important thing to remember?
    But I'll bet she remembered her phone..
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    more stupidness: the problem with monoculture:

Desperate plan to save oranges with antibiotics

Florida citrus farmers are set to start a controversial experiment in a desperate bid to save their trees: they will spray their crops with hundreds of thousands of kilograms of antibiotics. They hope that regular treatments with two common drugs, streptomycin and oxytetracycline, will slow a bacterial disease that has crippled the industry. But there’s little evidence about what the spraying will do to the other microbes in the environment, how it might contribute to antibiotic resistance — or whether it will even work.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    webmost said:
    Plane turns round after Mom realizes she left her bhiaby at the air[ort

Exactly how, does one forget their baby at the airport?
    Isn't a baby kind of an important thing to remember?
    But I'll bet she remembered her phone..
    She was probably so sleep deprived from having a baby that she just didn't notice. Happens plenty where young parents forget their child in the car seat. Just glad that apparently this one didn't have a disastrous result.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That story is incomplete, the child was with an adult close to the woman, they both missed the flight.  The child was not left alone, nore was it in the US, the pilots would not have cared.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )