• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All aboard......

Army vet lost 44 pounds only drinking beer for Lent, inspired by monks

This belongs in the beer thread too....
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Seriously, I find this one to be manufactured outrage.  No one with half a brain thinks they were referring to people worshiping Eostre (who is not Ishtar, BTW, a Mesopotamian goddess that has nothing at all, in spite of claims otherwise, to do with either the celebration or spelling of Easter).  There's a lot of assumed intent.  In fact, just a couple of days before, Obama tweeted about celebrating Holy Week with Christians around the world.  Using the word Christians.  Which he has done repeatedly.  It seems like a fairly innocuous phrase to me.

An aside. I've maintained, ever since it was given, that Obama gave the most historically orthodox Christian public speech while sitting as President of any president at least in my lifetime.  It was the Eulogy for the Charleston church shootings.  Check it out.  It's been ignored by those who want to maintain the man hates Christianity.  For my part, the fruit of his personal life seems far more in line with Christian morality than what we get from the current office holder.  But that's beside the point here.

"Ramadan worshipers" has been used for Muslims celebrating that fast.  "Synagogue worshipers" has been used for attacks and other news involving Jewish folks.

Here's some thoughts as to why "Easter Worshipers" might be appropriate:

1. Some who gather on Easter are nominally Christian, at best.  The chosen phrase shows some nuance in that case, recognizing that not all the victims would necessarily claim Christianity.
    2. To indicate the severity of the attack, "Easter worship(p)ers" is more concise than "Christians gathered to celebrate Easter".  There are typically larger than normal numbers gathered on such days, so it actually recognizes a greater severity to the attack while remaining concise within the character limit on Twitter.
    3. Who else celebrates Easter?  I mean seriously, we KNOW these people who are specified as worshiping on Easter are probably Christian, right?
    4. In some circles, "Christian" IS a loaded term, and a fairly narrow one.  It's become synonymous with a certain brand of "Evangelical Christian".  In this case, it might be a little bit of what we're told to be outraged about.  Because that particular group, without any other modifiers, is seen as the subset of Christianity who elected President Trump.  In other words, the term "Christian" for many does not include mainstream denominations, Catholicism, Copts, or any other number of groups who fall outside a certain narrow definition of "Christian."  So, without having to specify type, the bullet was dodged.  Frankly, because of his use of the the word Christian in other tweets, I actually find this the least likely possibility.
    5. It was a turn of phrase from a guy who like to turn a phrase and there was no other intent behind it.  (I mean, if you can assume intent, I can assume lack of one, right?  That's what we're doing.  Assuming something with little basis except wanting it to be true.

The fact that folks seem more upset about this phrase than the bombings themselves is what really boils my blood.  Frankly, at least he (and Clinton) showed concern.  So did Trump (who also avoided "Christians," instead noting the attacks were on "churches and hotels).  The pundits, and frankly, this thread have spent more time and effort picking apart something petty and possibly, probably innocuous, than they have lamenting, mourning, fixing, comforting, or offering hope along with/to the victims.  And now I'm guilty, too.

I'm off to weep.

Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joy Behar tells Kirsten Gillibrand she doesn't believe Democrats are on even ground because they won't 'play dirty

WTF did "she" say....................?????????????????????????????????????????
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Behar's IQ was 10 points higher, she could be a vegetable!
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Martel said:
    Seriously, I find this one to be manufactured outrage.  No one with half a brain thinks they were referring to people worshiping Eostre (who is not Ishtar, BTW, a Mesopotamian goddess that has nothing at all, in spite of claims otherwise, to do with either the celebration or spelling of Easter).  There's a lot of assumed intent.  In fact, just a couple of days before, Obama tweeted about celebrating Holy Week with Christians around the world.  Using the word Christians.  Which he has done repeatedly.  It seems like a fairly innocuous phrase to me.

An aside. I've maintained, ever since it was given, that Obama gave the most historically orthodox Christian public speech while sitting as President of any president at least in my lifetime.  It was the Eulogy for the Charleston church shootings.  Check it out.  It's been ignored by those who want to maintain the man hates Christianity.  For my part, the fruit of his personal life seems far more in line with Christian morality than what we get from the current office holder.  But that's beside the point here.

"Ramadan worshipers" has been used for Muslims celebrating that fast.  "Synagogue worshipers" has been used for attacks and other news involving Jewish folks.

Here's some thoughts as to why "Easter Worshipers" might be appropriate:

1. Some who gather on Easter are nominally Christian, at best.  The chosen phrase shows some nuance in that case, recognizing that not all the victims would necessarily claim Christianity.
    2. To indicate the severity of the attack, "Easter worship(p)ers" is more concise than "Christians gathered to celebrate Easter".  There are typically larger than normal numbers gathered on such days, so it actually recognizes a greater severity to the attack while remaining concise within the character limit on Twitter.
    3. Who else celebrates Easter?  I mean seriously, we KNOW these people who are specified as worshiping on Easter are probably Christian, right?
    4. In some circles, "Christian" IS a loaded term, and a fairly narrow one.  It's become synonymous with a certain brand of "Evangelical Christian".  In this case, it might be a little bit of what we're told to be outraged about.  Because that particular group, without any other modifiers, is seen as the subset of Christianity who elected President Trump.  In other words, the term "Christian" for many does not include mainstream denominations, Catholicism, Copts, or any other number of groups who fall outside a certain narrow definition of "Christian."  So, without having to specify type, the bullet was dodged.  Frankly, because of his use of the the word Christian in other tweets, I actually find this the least likely possibility.
    5. It was a turn of phrase from a guy who like to turn a phrase and there was no other intent behind it.  (I mean, if you can assume intent, I can assume lack of one, right?  That's what we're doing.  Assuming something with little basis except wanting it to be true.

The fact that folks seem more upset about this phrase than the bombings themselves is what really boils my blood.  Frankly, at least he (and Clinton) showed concern.  So did Trump (who also avoided "Christians," instead noting the attacks were on "churches and hotels).  The pundits, and frankly, this thread have spent more time and effort picking apart something petty and possibly, probably innocuous, than they have lamenting, mourning, fixing, comforting, or offering hope along with/to the victims.  And now I'm guilty, too.

I'm off to weep.

Thanks for this post, @Martel.  You make a number of very important points, some of which I've highlighted above.   Manufactured outrage is indeed all the rage these days.  The Powers-That-Be love to inflame the masses with false or misleading information about touchy subjects.  It's what pushes otherwise well-meaning individuals out into the lunatic fringe, and we need to be more conscious of when and how it happens.  There is an excellent book on this subject, "The Lucifer Principle" by Howard Bloom, detailing this very dangerous trend.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    :There is an excellent book on this subject, "The Lucifer Principle" by Howard Bloom, detailing this very dangerous trend."

Read it. Recommend it.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

On a special politicians' episode of Wheel of Fortune, failed presidential candidate Hillary Clinton nearly took home the grand prize. She was on the last puzzle of the regular rounds of the game, which read, CHRISTI_N. The audience began to cheer as it appeared Clinton had finally won something.

But, as is usual for Clinton, she snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, and shouted "Easter worshiper!" instead of the obvious answer, which was "Christian."

Heartbreaker!

Clinton has demanded an appeal, claiming that although she lost fair and square, she feels like she won, as Christians are kinda Easter worshipers, even though no one ever says that.

https://babylonbee.com/news/hillary-clinton-shouts-easter-worshipers-at-wheel-of-fortune-puzzle

• Options
    Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Side by side full page adds local newspaper........gotta love the wild wild west.  Am I the only 1 that sees the humor here?

First get your smoke on.....

Then play with your guns......lol

The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • Options
    Add in some fishing tackle and it's just another day down on the farm.  
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right 
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,703 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Natural selection strikes again.  :s
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard core Darwinism.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd feel better if it said No Rugrats
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
  • Options
    webmost said:

How'd you get a shot of Caitlin Jenners new tattoo?

• Options
    SM, what the hell you doing scouring the innerwebz for dermatology articles? Got a rash?

• Options
    nope, just widely read.
  • Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am sure glad that isn't me.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Friday afternoon at work. Customer service takes a call, I hear some key words that grabs my attention. She puts the guy on hold looks at me and says:

Do we have an MSDS for part number xxxxxx? This guy said one of his employees was messing around fired a rivet in the gun in the air and it **** down his throat. The local urgent care wants the MSDS to determine whether they should see if it passes naturally or if they need to send him to the hospital for surgery. 

Needless to say we laughed the rest of the afternoon about this.
  • Options
    I got censored for that, wtf. 

Ok for the overly sensitive; it launched at a high rate of speed. 
  • Options
    Shot?
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    0patience said:
    Shot?
    That’s the word. 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Came?
    Enquiring minds want to know.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    webmost said:
    Came?
    Tony got it. 

Might have been the the combination of shot and down the throat that got it censored 
    😂
  • Options
    deadman said:
    webmost said:
    Came?
    Tony got it. 

Might have been the the combination of shot and down the throat that got it censored 
    😂
    Well, their person who set up the censor stuff, has a filthy mind. They should totally be ashamed of themselves. 
     :D 
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

😂