Home General Discussion

Real or copy

2»

Comments

• KenpoKnightKenpoKnight Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Bob_Luken Thanks I’m happy to share if we can all take something from it.  I told two other guys that were given the others.  I felt bad breaking the news but when they saw the pics, they were very thankful I told them.  
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I was thinking about the tar builup and seems like I might have posted a pic. I didn't find any thread that I had posted but I did find someone else's thread with a pic that looked just like what happened to me, and according to my reply this person's occurrence happened before mine did but even then my speculation involved tobacco beetles. LOL

Here's a link to that thread ,.....
      https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/890646/tar-question#latest

and the pic,.......

Bob_Luken said:
    I was thinking about the tar builup and seems like I might have posted a pic. I didn't find any thread that I had posted but I did find someone else's thread with a pic that looked just like what happened to me, and according to my reply this person's occurrence happened before mine did but even then my speculation involved tobacco beetles. LOL

Here's a link to that thread ,.....
      https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/890646/tar-question#latest

and the pic,.......

Yikes!  That’s is pretty gross!  Did you have holes in the cigar that showed any evidence of beetles?
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://www.bnbtobacco.com/blogs/bnb-tobacco/why-is-tar-coming-out-of-my-cigar

This suggests it may be excess sap that didn't evaporate during curing. Sounds plausible. I've had it happen a couple times.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I've had it happen at least once.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    edited August 2019
    KenpoKnight said: Yikes!  That’s is pretty gross!  Did you have holes in the cigar that showed any evidence of beetles?
    Nope. But cigars can have tiny tiny eggs on the tobacco during production that hatch while inside the cigar once it gets warm enough for them to hatch and the larvae stage happens unseen. Later, when they transform into beetles, they bore their way out to mate and lay eggs. (As I understand it.)

• Significant3Significant3 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that this thread has officially been high jacked along with my imagination I may never smoke another cigar. Thanks @Yakster .  

JK. I’ll smoke them anyway!
    Yakster said:
    A nice satisfying and suspenseful death to the culprit.  
    edited August 2019
    I may have gotten some facts wrong in my previous post. I know there are four stages in their life cycle, egg, larvae, pupa, and adult. And I know the larvae are responsible for the major damage. But after reconsidering my earlier post, and doing a little googling, I have some unanswered questions.

Does the pupa stage occur inside the cigar?
    Do the adults bore holes? 
    I have read that the adults do not feed but will drink liquids, so if the pupa stage does occur inside the cigar, does that mean adults do not bore holes and instead exit through holes already made by larvae?

Still googling. 
    Post edited by Bob_Luken on

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Continuing the tar hijack: about 10 posts down, I experienced it with an Edgar Hoil.  Ruined my night.

https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/617301/martels-marvelous-musings-on-magnificent-miasmas-of-merit/p8
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.