• Options
    DerekDerek Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    The legend of Gurkha lives on....

I didn't know I was supposed to hate it... But I'm a natural

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:
    Tar buildup. That happens with a v cutter. You can cross-cut that v to make a big X which would help. You could also deepen the v. You could also blow through it or just straight cut through the v. You could also take all of your gurkhas and toss them into the grill. Makes for a nice cedar finish on your hamburgers.

I've had just as many cigars get tossed because of tarring up that were straight cut as V cut. A V or a punch will focus the smoke in ways a straight cut won't but from what I can tell if a cigar is producing excess tar it's because something's not right further up from the head. Somebody smarter than me could tell us what's causing the excess tar, maybe poor construction or poor fermentation, etc, but it's not the cut IMHO.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

I agree with everything that you said, Peter. However, sometimes the issue can be a cut which funnels all of the smoke into a single area. This is why punch cuts kind of went out of style, or at least it's one of the reasons that it did. I know that the v cut that I saw in Derek's picture was pretty shallow. That said, there's no way that cigar should be tarring up after about 5 minutes. That is a piece of crap cigar that has all kinds of construction and aging issues, and Derek should definitely toss that sucker.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Options

@peter4jc said:

@VegasFrank said:
    Tar buildup. That happens with a v cutter. You can cross-cut that v to make a big X which would help. You could also deepen the v. You could also blow through it or just straight cut through the v. You could also take all of your gurkhas and toss them into the grill. Makes for a nice cedar finish on your hamburgers.

I've had just as many cigars get tossed because of tarring up that were straight cut as V cut. A V or a punch will focus the smoke in ways a straight cut won't but from what I can tell if a cigar is producing excess tar it's because something's not right further up from the head. Somebody smarter than me could tell us what's causing the excess tar, maybe poor construction or poor fermentation, etc, but it's not the cut IMHO.

Near the foot, the cigar was spongy. Near the head, felt like a brick. I'm sure that was the reason. In any case, my first ghurka experience just made me frustrated.

• Options

@Derek said:

@peter4jc said:

@VegasFrank said:

Near the foot, the cigar was spongy. Near the head, felt like a brick. I'm sure that was the reason. In any case, my first ghurka experience just made me frustrated.

Also, every touch up immediately set the wrapper on fire

This DPG on the other hand... Perfection

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Derek said:

@silvermouse said:
    The legend of Gurkha lives on....

I didn't know I was supposed to hate it... But I'm a natural

Other than construction, taste, and price, it's a pretty good smoke. I guess the sultan of Brunei likes smoking yard gars.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

ROTT. Definitely infused, but lightly - not acid style infused. Sweetened tip, wash that off as much as possible. OK cigar. I my try the bigger sizes next time.