Home Non Cigar Related
Options

you can't make this stuff up

Comments

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would bother me for the rest of my life, however long or short, to kill someone to save a TV.

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was he on a shopping trip for lakesha?

• Options
    Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^^^ You're probably not wrong. And even if you are, I'm not willing to take that chance.

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

@silvermouse said:
    It would bother me for the rest of my life, however long or short, to kill someone to save a TV.

Maybe he just wanted the TV, or maybe the person's retirement gold watch, or just the keys to the car in the driveway.

Bold enough to break into someone's hime knowing they are or may be home. Means possibly bold enough to not leave a witness. Not a chance I would take

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:

Don't trivialize the break-in. Rapes and murders may also begin with a broken window. Young Deyfon made the decision; not the old fellow with an equalizer.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a middle ground here that's getting missed. I'm not one of these mas macho doofus's (would a plural doofus be a doofi? Anyway...) who thinks violence is the answer to most of my problems. I've never killed anyone, or came close to killing anyone. I think life is valuable, and I think people can change, with me as proof. I knew people like Deyfon, most of them continued to be giant a holes, but some of them changed. Some got off of whatever they were on, got honest jobs, tried to help other people. If I was in the position of that man, and shot someone trying to break into my home, I'd most definitely cry, as well as need therapy. I'd question myself for a long time, maybe the rest of my life...

But hopefully I'd still pull the trigger if that time came.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    edited July 2020

@CalvinAndHobo, you're one of the smartest guys I've met and I absolutely see your point, but there's zero machismo here. Were I in this guy's place I'd be fairly sure had Dindoo Nuffin come through the back door and not the bedroom window, ol' Dindoo would probably still be breathing. He'd be nine ways of messed up from falling down the cellar stairs repeatedly, but he'd still be around.

Bedroom window when I and mine are asleep? You're done. There'd be reflection and some soul searching, but Dindoo's still getting 2 center mass without much hesitation, especially if he ignores repeated verbal warnings. Safe bet there were probably a few "WTF are you doing?" and "Stops" uttered loudly by the homeowner before he dispatched this choirboy.

When faced with an incredibly volatile situation where the intent of one party is unknown but can be fairly easily deduced, and the safety and continued well being of yourself and your loved ones is likely in jeopardy, you will stop that situation with whatever means are available. That is not the time to consider counselling or rehabillitation measures.

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah I'd hope I'd pull the trigger (I'm not saying I would, just because I've never been in that situation. I'd hope I would, but who knows, maybe I'd freeze. That's part of the machismo thing I was referring to). What I'm trying to say (probably poorly) is that it would definitely eat me up inside afterwards, and that that's ok.

• Options

Yep. That's OK.

• Options
    edited July 2020

Where I live, rural, people are armed to the teeth, As I have previously said even the older people are armed. There will be no hesitation to shoot. We would rather read about some cockroach being blown away, then attend the funeral of a loved one.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

I forget if I posted this already somewhere, but I don't use the phrase or promote Black Lives Matter. I say Black People Matter, not to say All lives don't or that black lives are more important than other lives. It's just my way of distinguishing between black people and the ideology of BLM.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

I take the RedHead out for breakfast to the same cafe every Saturday. Last Saturday, there was a portrait in front of four candles on the counter going in. A 35 year old kitchen worker named Abel Rivera-Mojica. Shot in the back and killed. Body found in the Wilmington Latino district. A 16 year old was found four blocks away. He's expected to recover. Police don't know why they were shot, nor whether the shootings were connected. Wilmington has the distinction of having improved from worst to only 5th most dangerous small city in America, w/ murders down 32% since the new police chief took over 2 years ago.

The newspaper disagrees. When the paper parses the same stats, they report shootings up 42% (driven by shootings of juveniles up 16%), murders up 5%, rapes up 9%. So, according to the paper, all the new chief has been able to do is cook the numbers. According to the newspaper, the police chief's solution is simply do not report crimes which have not been solved. So Abel's murder won't even be counted. Nor was a memorial held.

Either way, both newspaper and chief suggest the same remedy: talk. e.g. : "Integrating community engagement efforts into every facet of policing." Which means the magic of chin music. Government and paper habitually faithful PC Democrats, from Governor to Mayor to police chief to DA to ... you know the routine. Best they can come up with is the same old song and dance. A curfew in effect since the latest civil unrest in May did not prevent this dust-up.

Neither caucasian nor black, Abel. No connection to riots, far as anyone can tell. Just another weekend fatality.

Wilmington is home to skyscrapers loaded with liars (I spell attorney phonetically for clarity). Lie firms are the #1 major industry in DullAware, followed closely by banksters, then chemists. Highest rate of PhDs in the nation, last I checked. The liars commute in their bimmers from the skyscrapers back to the burbs, but the kitchen help commutes in their beaters from their jobs back to the slums. So you have these giant skyscrapers clustered round the courthouse, then slum after slum surrounding.

10 juveniles shot this month. No one has an answer. Outlaw guns? Murder is already outlawed. No one has an answer. School bussing didn't help. Welfare housing hasn't helped. A plague of liars hasn't helped. Head Start hasn't helped. Programs, chin music, community centers, basketball, riots, a veep, you name it. Nobody has an answer.

Is there one?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options

• Options

maybe a more lethal pandemic.

• Options

One that only affects gang bangers and junkies.

• Options

Just got my Mail in Ballot. If I vote Democrat I'm allowed to vote multiple times. How many times am I allowed to vote if I vote Republican?

• Options

If voting really mattered they wouldn't let us vote.

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Trykflyr_1 said:
    If voting really mattered they wouldn't let us vote.

It's a fixed system.
    To give an example, decades ago, Oregon put it to a vote on the seatbelt law.
    46% of Oregon voted FOR the law and it passed.
    Last I checked, 46% is not the majority.

How do you put faith in a system that fails consistently?

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options

Same type of thing happened here. Sestbelt laws are moneygrabs. Just who are you endangering besides yourself? And isn't that your chouce to do so? Flippin' nanny states....

• Options

emts got tired of scraping people off the road?

• Options

Perhaps. Still don't agree with it. Helmets on motorcycles are optional for the driver here but mandatory for the passenger. Where's the sense in that? It's akin to saying a car driver doesn't need to wear a belt but all the passengers do.

I wear one because it's a smart decision, not because it's a law.

My point is the choice should be left up to the individual, not be mandated by some flunky in a suit in some committee.

• Options

The seatbelts aren't the issue. The issue is that it was put to a vote and 46% is NOT the majority, yet it passed.

So why vote? Why even give the illusion that voting matters, when it's been proven, it does not.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options

I learned just how much trolls will be trolls.
    A subject of discussion came up on a group and I made a joke comment about "Colon Pumpernickel".

I was promptly told, "It's Colin. Learn how to spell."

Evidently, the joke was totally lost on them.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options

A&E has lost half its viewers since dropping ‘Live PD’

Before A&E pulled the show, its prime-time viewership was up 4% from the same period in 2019

Think about it, and you **have to told to think about it. **
    Unscripted. No actors. As it happened. No special effects. True.
    And it is the show they deleted.
    All the BS TV, and they stop this show.
    Gee who is in charge?
    DTV took it up the arse because they were going to drop A&E, because people would lose PD Live. Was anyone listening?

NFL anyone? Please run all NFL on one channel so It will be easier to ignore, like I ignore A&E..