Home Non Cigar Related
Options

you can't make this stuff up

Comments

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

For those who find this stuff TLTR.....

From the Dutch survey:

One-Sentence Summary: Our survey shows that one in twelve researchers committed research misconduct and one in two engaged in sloppy science in the last three years.

The second study which silvermouse linked is actually an analysis of several dozen similar surveys. Here's their conclusion:

A pooled weighted average of 1.97% of scientists admitted to have fabricated, falsified or modified data or results at least once –a serious form of misconduct by any standard– and up to 33.7% admitted other questionable research practices. In surveys asking about the behaviour of colleagues, admission rates were 14.12% for falsification, and up to 72% for other questionable research practices.

I like that the second paper attempts to answer the obvious question: "Sure, but how many would actually admit how bad they are cooking the books?"

Both these conclusions are available at the beginning of each paper, so you don't have to wade thru tons of long words to get there.

And I like this bit:

A popular view propagated by the media and by many scientists sees fraudsters as just a ‘‘few bad apples’’. This pristine image of science is based on the theory that the scientific community is guided by norms including disinterestedness and organized scepticism, which are incompatible with misconduct. Increasing evidence, however, suggests that known frauds are just the ‘‘tip of the iceberg’’, and that many cases are never discovered.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought researchers researched a subject, wrote a paper with their findings, published the paper. Then other researchers examined their paper and looked for flaws in their research. Whatever theories they come up with are subject to peer review.

I believe if a researcher falsified data it would either be inconsequential or discovered in the peer review process.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    edited July 2021

@IndustMech said:
    I thought researchers researched a subject, wrote a paper with their findings, published the paper. Then other researchers examined their paper and looked for flaws in their research. Whatever theories they come up with are subject to peer review.

I believe if a researcher falsified data it would either be inconsequential or discovered in the peer review process.

https://physics.nyu.edu/faculty/sokal/transgress_v2/transgress_v2_singlefile.html
    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/10/new-sokal-hoax/572212/

et al

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IndustMech said:

Here's a great (and funny) video about how some fake (and funny) papers were written, reviewed, and sometimes published. You'll love it!

https://youtu.be/OlqU_JMTzd4

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Patrickbrick said:
    ^^^^^ Yep, science says cloth masks protect you.

They work good in south Korea, where every single citizen wears them all the time outside of the home. 51 million people on a peninsula the size of Indiana.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

Can’t wait to see what happens when people wear these to not die of chlorine gas, or hell even drywall dust. I know you like them Frank and that’s good.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IndustMech said:

A whole lot of the "science" we've heard the last few years has not been peer reviewed.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options

@Patrickbrick said:
    Can’t wait to see what happens when people wear these to not die of chlorine gas, or hell even drywall dust. I know you like them Frank and that’s good.

Im just saying bro. Masks prevent the spread of covid when everyone wears them. South Korea is my "proof" of it.

Unless you're disputing the 51 million population, the square footage similar to Indiana, or the numbers of cases and deaths, or unless you're going to offer an alternate hypothesis, I'm gonna say paper surgical masks. I first went to Seoul 20 years ago and they were all wearing them then for head colds and flu. All of them were. In fact, the only people in Seoul who weren't wearing masks were American GIs.

Don't look ↑
  • Options

I do have an alternative hypotheses, I’ll explain on vherf. The masks help but not for the reason you think. COVID is spread slightly differently and for that I will also explain on vherf.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

Can't wait...ill be on tonight. I thought that the human mouth and sinus droplets which carry covid are bigger than the porous fiberous openings in the masks.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

What time !?!!!?

• Options

In 20 minutes or so

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

We're waiting on the vHerf. Maybe I can figure out how to put the interested parties in their own breakout room in Zoom.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

So, who won? I had to leave to help the Wife with some things during the heated debate.

• Options

That’s my disagree, I’m absolutely getting these!

MOW badge received.
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Patrickbrick said:
    That’s my disagree, I’m absolutely getting these!

No doubt. Toasting the outside to a uniform golden-brown, while simultaneously melting the inside to a gooey brown mass of delight... what can be bad about that?

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is it in our make up that seems to demand either/or over both/and?

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

@Bob_Luken said:

@Yakster said:
    So, who won? I had to leave to help the Wife with some things during the heated debate.

I lost. First I had to turn down the volume. Then while it was still going strong I slipped out the side door.

Lol sorry. Patrick insisted.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    Humanity is circling the drain

My god. When? Where? How much?!!

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

• Options

Reminds me of the baking Splenda where they pre-blend Splenda and sugar 50/50 so you can use it for baking. They charge you a lot of money to add the sugar, I can just add my own.

• Options

Again, my disagree.

MOW badge received.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

The skeptic in me asks,.... Are they are stuffed with "milk chocolate" or some marshmallow'ed crap that is colored like chocolate?

Somebody bite the bullet. Let us know.

• Options
    MOW badge received.