you can't make this stuff up

Comments

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,728 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're on a roll, Chris. So is bacon.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

Patrick told me the story and I added some research.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

first mistake: trusting ai:

Alexa tells 10-year-old girl to touch live plug with penny

The suggestion came after the girl asked Alexa for a "challenge to do".

"Plug in a phone charger about halfway into a wall outlet, then touch a penny to the exposed prongs," the smart speaker said.

Amazon told the BBC in a statement that it had updated Alexa to prevent the assistant recommending such activity in the future.

"Customer trust is at the centre of everything we do and Alexa is designed to provide accurate, relevant, and helpful information to customers," said Amazon in a statement.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-59810383

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just wonder how much that case settled for.

• Options

She was smart enough not to accept the challenge. Strange that Alexa would be picking TickTock challenges in the first place, they're always such winners like Slap a Teacher, Vandalize a Bathroom, etc. I hear about them all the time from my Teacher Wife.

• Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was defrosting my piece of shït Samsung refrigerator ice maker the other day with a hair dryer and I felt a tingle thought nothing of it literally told my wife my hands are so dry from the weather and went back at it next thing I know I felt like I electrocuted myself at that point I realized what I had done wrong... yes my hands are tore up but that was not my problem at that very moment.
    That story made me think of this

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why?

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options

A new guy shows up, asks for advice. We give him our thoughtful guidance, which doesn't meet his criteria for helpfulness, and he says we should take our comments elsewhere.
    https://youtu.be/r8zebJ9n-Vc

• Options
    edited December 2021

Bacon can stop extreme nosebleeds.

Nasal packing with strips of cured pork as treatment for uncontrollable epistaxis in a patient with Glanzmann thrombasthenia
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22224315/

Abstract: saving the life of a 4 year old with a tampon of bacon.

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭✭

As if Facebook Marketplace wasn't weird enough already,.....

• Options

@Yakster said:
    Bacon can stop extreme nosebleeds.

Nasal packing with strips of cured pork as treatment for uncontrollable epistaxis in a patient with Glanzmann thrombasthenia
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22224315/

Abstract: saving the life of a 4 year old with a tampon of bacon.

Is there nothing that bacon can't do?

• Options

@ShawnOL said:

Is there nothing that bacon can't do?

Bacon alone cannot unpack a double negative... so, no.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options

• Options

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, reducing the penalty for drive-by shootings is a ridiculous idea! It wouldn't even do anything for "racial equity." If you don't want to do the time, no matter what color your skin is, then don't commit the crime. This is common sense.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options

• Options

hard to believe:

Apple is worth $3 trillion — more than Walmart, Disney, Netflix, Nike, Exxon Mobil, Coca-Cola, McDonald’s, AT&T, Goldman Sachs, Boeing, IBM and Ford combined.

• Options

I didn't think there were that many teenaged girls.

• Options

@ShawnOL said:
    I didn't think there were that many teenaged girls.

Overcharge them enough, you don't need that many.

• Options
    edited January 2022

Worth more than the GDP of Great Britain. Yikes.

1 million seconds equal 11 and 1/2 days.
    1 billion seconds equal 31 and 3/4 years.
    1 trillion seconds equal 31,710 years.

• Options

Goldfish can learn to navigate a small robotic vehicle on land.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,545 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's nothing, I just spent most of November and December in the Nashville area and I'm pretty sure that Orcs and Cave Trolls are operating the majority of vehicles on the highways there.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few years ago a local high school requested over 3 million dollars to renovate the inside of the school. This took place after a bomb scare, so their goal was to make it safer. The walls to the classrooms are now transparent glass.

Now no student can hide from a shooter, and yes, if you shoot in the same spot repeatedly even bulletproof glass can fail.

Oh, and they also used some of the funds to rebuild their auditorium, they made it smaller. It can no longer house the entire school population.

This is the poor decision making that wastes tax payer money.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options

Walls of glass sound so much safer in a scenario that includes a bomb.

I often need to remind myself that I may not have the same information as the 'other people' who made a decision I see as dumb; they may have had other information and unknown reasons for deciding what they did. I often see some gaff and think "boy, was that dumb" and then turn around and do something even dumber.

Two quotes in my brain;

1) We make our decisions based on the information we have on hand at the time of said decision. (lets me off the hook for mistakes made when I was younger)

2) We judge ourselves based on our intentions, but we judge others based on their actions. (lets me off the hook when I screw up because my intentions were good, but others? F them, they screwed up)