Home Cigar 101

Can't Judge a Cigar By The Color of the Wrapper

Comments

• ScotchnSmokeScotchnSmoke Posts: 134

@Jrflickster said:
    So handsome 😍 I'll buy anything you say

flattery will get you everywhere with me.

@VegasFrank said:
    I think that Lawrence should take the video just as it is, and insert a 2 second cut of me saying, "that's bullshīt."

In fact, maybe I'll download his video and then insert myself into certain parts of it.

Better yet, I'll make a video of me watching his video and reacting to it.

I think we have a winner.

Honestly, I'd love to see that! :smiley:

@CalvinAndHobo said:
    You could also go the other direction and make parody videos of guys in suits talking BS about cigars, like my favorite electrician (electroboom on youtube).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynfxqWXwmkE

I plan doing a video about the stereotypical smokers. So far I have:

• The Fan Boy
    • The Elitest
    • The Collector
    • The Burnout
    • The Cheapo
    • The Newb
    • The Influencer
    • The Chefs Palate

@Hobbes86 said:
    I liked your video overall, but I also am not educated enough on cigars to catch your faux pas concerning maduro wrappers. Personally, I am not a fan of cuts and changes in camera angles. I'd rather the camera simply have a forward shot of you and leave it at that.

Regardless of any of this, I admire your boldness in putting yourself out there to be potentially ridiculed, you've got guts. I look forward to seeing more from you, subscribed!

Wow Hobbes thank you so much man! I will say, the camera angle changes are to hide the cuts as best as possible. It's hard AF to nail some of the lines. Just saying the La Aroma name took me 6 tries.

Big thanks for the subscribe, it really means a lot to me. Also, I knew of all places, posting it here was going to lead to a textualize raping. I think knowing that it's going to happen makes it go down easier.

• Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ScotchnSmoke said:

• The Cheapo

This is me!

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

edited February 2022

@Vision said:

• The Dry Begger

You missed one.

I think I've seen one or two of these around here...

• d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hobbes86 said:

@ScotchnSmoke said:

• The Cheapo

This is me!

I prefer the term Bargain Smoker.

@ScotchnSmoke all those have been covered.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

I like your terminology better as well, @d_blades.

• VisionVision Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

I believe there are both types of people. The cheap smoker buys bundles of 20 cigars for $1.50ea because they are just looking to stick a cigar in their mouth and couldn't care less about flavor or profile. The bargain smoker will still spend $80-$100 on a box on auction sites to save $60-$100 but doesn't compromise on taste or quality.

Edit: There is always going to be people who's budget doesn't allow for $200-$500 a month on cigars. This person has their own category.

• d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's more where I am. Recently was able to get 25 cigars that list over 200 a box for less than a hundred including the shipping. I do get some of my smokes at my local B&M, just to help support local business.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

@Vision said:

@ScotchnSmoke said:

@CalvinAndHobo said:
    You could also go the other direction and make parody videos of guys in suits talking BS about cigars, like my favorite electrician (electroboom on youtube).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynfxqWXwmkE

I plan doing a video about the stereotypical smokers. So far I have:

• The Fan Boy
    • The Elitest
    • The Collector
    • The Burnout
    • The Cheapo
    • The Newb
    • The Influencer
    • The Chefs Palate
    • The Dry Begger

You missed one.

Ok, so you have @RobbyCruz covered. What about the rest of us?

@Vision said:
    The cheap smoker buys bundles of 20 cigars for $1.50ea because they are just looking to stick a cigar in their mouth and couldn't care less about flavor or profile.

My disagree. I don't buy inexpensive bundles because I don't care about taste. I buy them because I enjoy finding things I like while also not spending what I consider to be a lot of money. Though I will occasionally buy something from my local B&M in an effort to support local small business. However, no matter the price tag, if I know I don't like a specific cigar I won't buy it again.

edited February 2022

@Hobbes86 said:

@Vision said:
    The cheap smoker buys bundles of 20 cigars for $1.50ea because they are just looking to stick a cigar in their mouth and couldn't care less about flavor or profile.

My disagree. I don't buy inexpensive bundles because I don't care about taste. I buy them because I enjoy finding things I like while also not spending what I consider to be a lot of money. Though I will occasionally buy something from my local B&M in an effort to support local small business. However, no matter the price tag, if I know I don't like a specific cigar I won't buy it again.

Bundle cigars are marketed towards the cheap smoker. Most of the time, if not always, they use a lower quality (for many different reasons) leaf. $3 bottles of wine are marketed towards someone who wants to drink for the buzz but not for the nuances and flavor. Cheap bundles are cheap bundles because there are very very very very few hidden gems and you know what you're getting...... a cheap cigar

Edit

@Hobbes86
    You may venture out of the $1-$4 cigars range. Bundle cigars are marketed towards people who, let's be honest, aren't part of the "hobby". I'm assuming you're here to learn. Bundle cigar smokers..... don't care about learning.

Post edited by Vision on
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vision said:

@Hobbes86 said:

@Vision said:

Bundle cigars are marketed towards the cheap smoker. Most of the time, if not always, they use a lower quality (for many different reasons) leaf. $3 bottles of wine are marketed towards someone who wants to drink for the buzz but not for the nuances and flavor. Cheap bundles are cheap bundles because there are very very very very few hidden gems and you know what you're getting...... a cheap cigar

Edit

@Hobbes86
    You may venture out of the $1-$4 cigars range. Bundle cigars are marketed towards people who, let's be honest, aren't part of the "hobby". I'm assuming you're here to learn. Bundle cigar smokers..... don't care about learning.

The industry is moving to bundle cigars across the board. Things are changing. Andalusian Bull and Umbagog spring to mind here.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

@Vision

I think you and I just have different perspectives, Pete, or perhaps we just weigh facets differently. I think I understand what you are saying about the cheap wine and cigars, but I don't think all folks who enjoy those things do so while forgoing their taste buds. There are tasty cheap wines out there, why spend money on an expensive wine you like when there is also a cheaper one you like just as much? I also don't think liking cheap cigars, and only buying cheap cigars, excludes a person from being a part of the hobby or means that individual isn't interested in learning. We all partake according to our tastes, finances, and personalities.

edited February 2022

@Yakster said:

@Vision said:

@Hobbes86 said:

@Vision said:

Edit

@Hobbes86

The industry is moving to bundle cigars across the board. Things are changing. Andalusian Bull and Umbagog spring to mind here.

Maybe I'm being misunderstood. I'm not speaking of good cigars wrapped in paper or cellophane and still sold at $9 a cigar. I'm talking poor quality, poorly constructed cigars that are marketed towards somebody who wants to spend $1.50 a smoke. Are we saying that Umbagog is equivalent to Quorum? No. I am not.

Edit.
    Yes. I know most cigars come wrapped in cello.

edited February 2022

My disagree. So you're saying there's no difference between the Davidoff smoker and the bundle Quorum smoker? So the Jack Daniels drinker is the same as a Pappy Van Winkle drinker? So you're saying both are looking for the same experience correct?

Edit

So if the OP reviewed a Quorum he would have the same audience as if he reviewed a Year of the Tiger Davidoff. He would not. Because nobody cares about the taste of a Quorum. You seem offended that somehow I am calling you a bundle cigar smoker. This again I am not. I am not saying that you cannot enjoy your Quorum or your Jack Daniels. But they are absolutely different. Heck. I may even get an eye roll when I buy Lost and Found or some other "inexpensive" cigar. But they are not "cheap".

Maybe the confusion is the cost. Just because you don't spend a lot on the cigar doesn't mean it's a bundle Cigar. Quorum has their target audience.... that is not the Padron smoker.

I do agree tho on one point. Our perspective on cigars is vastly different.

• cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

I smoked a Victor Sinclair today, and it was nice! Does that make me a bad person?

@Vision said:
    My disagree. So you're saying there's no difference between the Davidoff smoker and the bundle Quorum smoker? So the Jack Daniels drinker is the same as a Pappy Van Winkle drinker? So you're saying both are looking for the same experience correct?

If both the Davidoff and Quorum smoker are partaking for the same purpose of enjoyment, the relaxation and tastes they enjoy, then yes, there is no difference. If both finish their smokes feeling equally satisfied, why would the cost or quality of the cigar matter?

Same goes for the Jack Daniels vs. Pappy Van Winkle drinker.

Just for clarification: I am not saying that their palates are equal, that is highly subjective.

@Vision said:

Edit

So if the OP reviewed a Quorum he would have the same audience as if he reviewed a Year of the Tiger Davidoff. He would not. Because nobody cares about the taste of a Quorum. You seem offended that somehow I am calling you a bundle cigar smoker. This again I am not. I am not saying that you cannot enjoy your Quorum or your Jack Daniels. But they are absolutely different. Heck. I may even get an eye roll when I buy Lost and Found or some other "inexpensive" cigar. But they are not "cheap".

Maybe the confusion is the cost. Just because you don't spend a lot on the cigar doesn't mean it's a bundle Cigar. Quorum has their target audience.... that is not the Padron smoker.

You edited your post while I was responding, so I will address your edit.

I am not offended by what you have said, I merely disagree with you. No, I do not believe that if the OP reviewed a Quorum he would get very many Year of the Tiger Davidoff fans tuning in. I am not saying that brand names are equal or that the quality of taste is equal. I am speaking more to the individual's enjoyment when smoking the cigar. Perhaps each of us is speaking to a different facet and that is why we seem to be misunderstanding one another.

@peter4jc said:
    It would very interesting to see how many cigar smokers who began w/ the lowest tier of handmade cigars stay there. I'd venture that many here who consider themselves serious smokers, who don't mind paying more, started off w/ cheaper sticks and were more motivated by price.

@Hobbes86 I don't think you need to defend your position, but I'll wager a forum fiver that if you read this in a couple of years, your position (and buying practices) will have changed.

You could certainly be right about that, Peter! Even now, being as cheap as I am, I have been eye-balling some pricier options (that San Cristobal Classico was excellent!). Though, I have to be able to justify the expenditure or I will simply not enjoy it as much due to guilt. Whether that guilt is justified is another matter. LOL

Actually I changed it to my agree. We do have different perspective. I am no longer looking for a cigar that fits my > @Hobbes86 said:

@Vision said:

If both the Davidoff and Quorum smoker are partaking for the same purpose of enjoyment, the relaxation and tastes they enjoy, then yes, there is no difference. If both finish their smokes feeling equally satisfied, why would the cost or quality of the cigar matter?

Same goes for the Jack Daniels vs. Pappy Van Winkle drinker.

Just for clarification: I am not saying that their palates are equal, that is highly subjective.

Yes, I may be absolutely wrong. But I'm not sure there are many bundle cigar smokers sitting down to enjoy the nuances, transitions and flavor consistency that the Tat, Davidoff, BWS, BLTC ETC.... have to offer. Someone please help me out here. Am I missing the mark?

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I smoke cheap cigars and expensive ones, there are times that I find a 5 Vegas much more satisfying than a Tat.

“The Red Wheelbarrow”:

so much depends
    upon

a red wheel
    barrow

glazed with rain
    water

beside the white
    chickens

@silvermouse said:
    I smoke cheap cigars and expensive ones, there are times that I find a 5 Vegas much more satisfying than a Tat.

“The Red Wheelbarrow”:

so much depends
    upon

a red wheel
    barrow

glazed with rain
    water

beside the white
    chickens

Was price the factor?

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

^ no. Price is irrelevant if you never spend more than you can afford. Debt is the sinkhole of capitalism.

• GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vision
    You’re not missing the mark Pete.
    Expressing an opinion, or facts, while attempting to educate can be frustrating.
    This curmudgeon gave up a while ago. Good Luck

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.

When a person drinks Dragons Milk or Bourbon Stout it's not for the buzz or the drunk. Tho that may have happened anyhow it was not the intention. When you drink Natty Ice.... it's not for the flavors, it's for the drunk..... Am I honestly wrong in thinking this way? That some how the journey is the same? That the outcome is the same?