Home Cigar 101

Can't Judge a Cigar By The Color of the Wrapper

Comments

• VisionVision Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

But you can judge a book by the cover. Look how well playboy did.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • ScotchnSmokeScotchnSmoke Posts: 134

@Hobbes86 said:
    Providing opinion and information on a given topic is providing a good or service. People watch YouTube for this kind of content all the time.

@ScotchnSmoke may not be as informed or authoritative as some other sources, but he is not starting from the bottom. He has experience and information to share and he is going to become more accurate as time goes by. The guy posted his video here knowing he would likely get some harsh criticism. Someone who isn't willing to learn and grow wouldn't do that.

The greatest danger I see facing Lawrence is the potential to overstate his level of authority on the subject of cigars. But if he keeps it grounded and humble then I don't see much issue with him pursuing this YouTube channel.

Thank you Hobbs. Your signature isn't just for show I see.

@Bob_Luken said:

"Let's smell this thing," I like that part.

You can definitely see the influence of Friendly Frank's focus group.

Lol, literally two seconds later I mock other reviewers for doing this, but I appreciate you watching. :D

@VegasFrank said:
    Okay Lawrence I'm getting fed up here, so maybe you can enlighten us...

I took a peek around your YouTube profile this morning. I see you teasing a future video that you are hosting about the TPE (wearing the same suit and Boots combo that we all know well), and the preview shows you fully credentialed. So what are you bro? Some kind of so-called fake insider?

Then there is this. This is exactly what my YouTube screen looks like 10 minutes ago:

YGTBSTFOOM

Never mind that it's 90% the same title and 90% the same content. You ripped yourself off so big time! Same intro with the cut, toast, light, draw fast cuts with the same style of music, if it's not the same music entirely.

You're a little Nick perdomo!

And never mind the fact that you have 113 "subscribers," one fake comment, 200 views (30 of which came from this site) on your video, and no likes.

No, never mind any of that.

The part that irks me is that you're faking us out again. In your history, you have talked about your videos that you didn't do. Then you admitted to doing them. Then a year and a half went by. Then you did a newbie trade. Now we're back to videos.

Seems to me you did the newbie trade so you can get us to focus group your videos.

In the meantime, you haven't been part of the community. Freaking again! You've been prepping your YouTube channel since about the time you asked me to complete the newbie deal with you. The narrative tells the story and the data supports the narrative.

You're seriously like my 11-year-old kid. You will just lie straight to our faces thinking that we'll believe it. Oh he's back. Oh he did a newbie trade. Oh he's being legit with a new video that he's doing so that he can be part of the community.

I gave you my view on your video, and so did a lot of other people. Then again, that's all you're looking for, right? Just a free goddàmn focus group?

Well let me be your one man focus group on your channel. You don't know shít about marketing bro. You don't know shīt about YouTube bro. You think you do because you read a book on Google analytics, and the magic sauce between subscribers, likes, comments, notifications. Just like you read a book on the Maduro leaf.

You also think you're a genius because you had perceived success with a celebrity hosting your video. News flash, if I got Nick Perdomo to do six second video reviews, he'd have 20 million views today.

I have 4,000 views and 48 hours, two real unsolicited subscribers, 100 likes and a few comments. I have those as a gag. I spent 10 seconds coming up with the idea, four total minutes and producing and uploading my videos, and I am out liking it out viewing you 20 to 1! No music no makeup the pretty boy shít no suits just my brilliant mind and my unquestioned wit!

Step one of the seven habits of highly successful people is to start with the end in mind. You started with your opening credits in mind, and that's why it's not going to work bro. You started with your video camera and your beard gel in mind. That's why it's not going to work bro. You're going to produce high quality cinematic masterpieces that nobody is going to care about because all you are feeding is your ego, not the hunger for content of your viewers. It's fake. Your plastic man.

So here's a challenge to you bro. We'll see if you want to be part of this community or not. Never ever ever mention another video here again. Go ahead and put the link in your signature block to your YouTube channel. Put it in your about me page. But any posts you make should only focus on being part of the community instead of getting the community to do you a favor.

Quit being a freaking taker bro. You are a nice looking fit young man who could probably kick my as$ up and down the street, but you don't know the first God dammn mother fuckiing thing about the real world.

Always taking and never being selfless will get you nowhere, no matter how nice your suit is.

Sorry Frank, I did not mean to offend anyone here. I didn't read this before posting my last link in "What are you smoking tonight" Yes I was looking for feedback to get better but I was not looking to offend the people that cherish this community.

I know some of the guys here are going to talk trash no matter what because they have nothing better to give, but your feedback on my last video was priceless to me and made me think it was cool to continue with.

You got a lot wrong here, but I'm not offended. I won't post anymore of my video links, but I do like the idea of adding the link in my sig, thank you for that idea.

Is it cool if I still ask around about questions I don't know the answers to even knowing that it will most likely be used for my YouTube channel? I respect the combined knowledge of this forum, you guys have insights that others working in the industry don't. You are not my target market by any means, but make great points.

@Hobbes86 said:
    @Vision said:

you around my guy? Just making sure everything is ok. I figured you would want to give @VegasFrank an ear full after that critique. Or is it just me you don't care for?

Don't take any of our disagreements personally, Pete. I don't. We may not always see eye-to-eye and there may be certain traits we don't like about eachother, but I wouldn't say I dislike you as a whole.

I see good things in you on a consistent basis. You are willing to share your knowledge, and like Frank, you are patient with newbs, like when I asked on the vHerf what the difference was with a box-pressed cigar.

Frank did some digging and found some info on Lawrence and his channel that shed some light on things for me. I had previously been taking Lawrence only at what I had seen in this thread and was ignorant of any dealings with him in the past.

I am now uncertain in where I land in all of this and I may never fully form a position on it. Time will tell.

Frank is taking a lot out of context and is dead wrong on several things, he's pretty good at finding a mole hill and building into a mountain, honestly, it's impressive. I can defend myself on most of what he is saying, but Frank is so efficient in his responses that I wouldn't have time for anything else if I tried to keep up.

The short of it is, when I was working for Perdomo, I was posting here as if I was just curious about his content when I was really just trying to buffer the numbers. After my working relationship ended there, I came clean about it here and apologized. A lot of people here were rightfully pissed at me for being deceptive.

@Vision said:
    @ScotchnSmoke
    I don't take you for a stupid person. You seem extremely bright and well spoken. Learn from this banter. Figure out the "Why". Why would people want to watch me over _____? Why would some watch the review of this ______ ? ..... write down your whys and answer them.
    You review a Quorum..... no one cares. Review a Bic lighter..... no one cares. Review a Pour of Poland Springs Vodka..... no one cares. Review a CI plastic cutter..... no one cares. Make people care about your content.

Doing my best to learn. I appreciate your feedback, this is great advice that I will definitely be using.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, he's persistent. I'll give him that.

Trapped in the People's Communist Republic of Massachusetts.

@Rdp77 said:

@ScotchnSmoke said:
    Is it cool if I still ask around about questions I don't know the answers to even knowing that it will most likely be used for my YouTube channel? I respect the combined knowledge of this forum, you guys have insights that others working in the industry don't. You are not my target market by any means, but make great points.

Herein lies your main problem. You are admittedly wanting to USE the people of this forum for their knowledge without wanting to be part of the community. In my experience people generally do not like being used. Somewhere in his rant @VegasFrank mentioned “stop being a taker”. He’s spot on. This forum is made up of some of the most generous people I have ever had the privilege of knowing. We share cigars of course, as well as information and knowledge about a vast number of other topics. It’s the “pay it forward “ generosity and mindset that makes it what it is. So yeah, when someone wants to use it for their own personal gain, people tend to take it a little personally. Stop being such a taker.

I totally get that, 100%. However, I am a truly curious person and as many people here have pointed out, I don't know what I am talking about. I have posted in the what are you smoking many times, I have joined the VHERF once to face the music, I have done the newb trade and not just to get into the good graces but to find rare cigars when it comes up.

However, if I lack the knowledge, what else can I contribute? The YouTube is a biproduct of my curiosity. I can't find definitive answers to a lot of my questions. Also, I have never once dropped a post and left, I respond to as many of the comments as I can every time. Also, many people have enjoyed entertainment at my expense. I would argue that some people here enjoy watching others get roasted more than anything and in that I have given quite a bit of contribution.

• Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ScotchnSmoke said:
    Frank is taking a lot out of context and is dead wrong on several things, he's pretty good at finding a mole hill and building into a mountain, honestly, it's impressive. I can defend myself on most of what he is saying, but Frank is so efficient in his responses that I wouldn't have time for anything else if I tried to keep up.

The short of it is, when I was working for Perdomo, I was posting here as if I was just curious about his content when I was really just trying to buffer the numbers. After my working relationship ended there, I came clean about it here and apologized. A lot of people here were rightfully pissed at me for being deceptive.

It seems to me you aren't genuinely interested in simply being a member of this forum and sharing in the community of it. You want feedback for your videos and channel, that isn't inherently bad, but it does mean you are here for very different reasons than the rest of us. Like Frank pointed out, your reasons for being here are based around what you can take from the forum and individuals, not what you can contribute.

I would say you should stick around and simply partake of the normal rhythms of this community without looking to mention your channel and without looking to use anyone here for purposes directly related to your channel. However, I have read up on past threads of yours and combining that information with recent responses of yours in this thread, it is apparent to me that you cannot separate your desire for channel feedback and success from your interest in cigars. Therefore I think you should look elsewhere for what you seek.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

@Hobbes86 said:

I would say you should stick around and simply partake of the normal rhythms of this community without looking to mention your channel and without looking to use anyone here for purposes directly related to your channel. However, I have read up on past threads of yours and combining that information with recent responses of yours in this thread, it is apparent to me that you cannot separate your desire for channel feedback and success from your interest in cigars. Therefore I think you should look elsewhere for what you seek.

If that's the general consensus, I will step away.

I have no problem not mentioning my channel anymore. However, the reason I cannot separate the two is because my channel is driven by my genuine thirst for knowledge in cigars. So if I stay, never post another video link again, and participate with my burning questions, it will still benefit my channel.

If I quit my YouTube endeavor, never make content again, but still ask my burning questions, would there be a difference?

The idea for the YouTube channel came when I was watching a man torch the foot of his cigar by practically sticking his lighter into the foot. I found out he was the owner of a cigar shop and had been smoking cigars for over 40 years. So I changed my ways (after about 12 years of being a casual smoker) and started toasting the foot like he did. That's when someone corrected me and told me I was charring the foot and ruining the tobacco. At that point, I became very interested in knowing what I didn't know and eventually convinced Perdomo to make a YouTube channel for new smokers with basic tips. But throughout that process I have always been very intrigued by what is factual and what isn't because the cigar world is full of misinformation. I genuinely want to learn. But I also want to share what I learn with others. Do I want to eventually make a living off of that effort, yes, but who here wouldn't want to make a living off of smoking cigars and drinking whiskey? As of now, it will probably be years until I actually make a living wage off of this, if ever.

Did I want feedback from my videos, yes, but now I know that will offend most everyone that is active here. Was I genuinely excited to share the video here otherwise? Also yes. I figured of all the communities out there, this one might appreciate someone doing justice to the hobby they love and appreciate. I know I may not be doing justice right now, but with help I can.

I am happy to leave if that is what the majority want. I am not impervious to the blatant attacks coming my way. Some people are easy to ignore, others aren't. This **** sucks, but I am doing my best to brush it off and appeal to the better half that I am genuinely interested in learning, but that I want to share what I learn with others.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

@ScotchnSmoke said:

Everything else you said doesn't matter. That's what you were doing then, and that's what you are doing now.

Once a meth addict always a meth addict.

Pro tip on your Rocky Patel video, when you Ash on yourself don't use that clip.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ScotchnSmoke said:
    Did I want feedback from my videos, yes, but now I know that will offend most everyone that is active here. Was I genuinely excited to share the video here otherwise? Also yes. I figured of all the communities out there, this one might appreciate someone doing justice to the hobby they love and appreciate. I know I may not be doing justice right now, but with help I can.

You say a lot of stuff like this, as if you wish to guilt and manipulate people, maybe that is your goal, I don't know for sure. That is also what sticks in my craw, though, the fact I can't be sure about your intentions. You talk nice, but you also joined the forum under false pretenses and don't comment much outside of your own threads. You seem to make an appearance mostly when you want folks around here to do something for you.

I prefer to know for sure where people stand and I value folks who are straight-shooters. That is why, even though I've butted heads with @Vision and @VegasFrank, I still like them. Pete and Frank are honest and I don't have to wonder whether or not I can take them at their word.

Anyway, stick around if you want, but you'll need a shovel, determination, and consistency to get out of the hole you've dug for yourself.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

@Hobbes86 said:

Anyway, stick around if you want, but you'll need a shovel, determination, and consistency to get out of the hole you've dug for yourself.

Aint that the truth.

@VegasFrank said:

Pro tip on your Rocky Patel video, when you Ash on yourself don't use that clip.

You're not a pro Frank, you're using the Tik Tok version of YouTube.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Frank's up to date with the times, @ScotchnSmoke, you're stuck in the past.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

@ScotchnSmoke said:

@Hobbes86 said:

Aint that the truth.

That is a word that you apparently don’t comprehend.
    I can’t judge a cigar by the wrapper, but I can judge a person by the lies they have told.

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.

@ScotchnSmoke said:

@VegasFrank said:

You're not a pro Frank, you're using the Tik Tok version of YouTube.

Ain't that the point, my man? I'm obviously not a pro and I'm obviously kicking your channel's rear end!

And as a gag
    and without trying
    and without a website
    And without a fake lawyer
    And without Instagram
    And without Facebook
    and without beard gel
    and without makeup
    and without cross posting on 50 different media sites
    And without software
    and without 700 takes and 25 edits
    and without caring

And with just being myself... Which everyone knows is a socially awkward, resting drunk face, hyper unphotogenic, inappropriate, fat, middle-aged idiot. In a $20 sweatshirt a $15 hat and $6 pants... All of which I purchased at Walmart several years ago.

I have 10,000 views in less than a week brother. My like, subscriber, and comment data is flowing with the expected norms, which means that YouTube considers the data valid and normal. Now that they know I'm not patting my stats, I am getting put into others' feeds.

This is much unlike your video channel with your 135 subscribers before the first video was posted. All abnormal. All artificial. YouTube and Google know it.

Pro tip from a professional statistician of almost 30 years, your YouTube channel does not lie as well as you do.

I would say good luck on the YouTube channel, but that would be disingenuous. I think that in one year it's either going to be discontinued or it's going to be at the same or slightly higher level than it is now.

My amateur hour tick tock channel will also probably be discontinued because, lawrence, I really don't fúcking care about being popular brother.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.

Tiktok. Now that's a fabulous **** idea! Maybe I'll post all this **** on the tiktok LOL LOL

Then I might have 100,000 views in a week!

That take ^ was top dead center Tom.

edited February 2022

Update on my TikTok stats Lawrence. How are your 300 views doing? They look lonely over there...

I have more thousand percent increases in viewership then you have total viewers....

@TBonz said:

@ScotchnSmoke said:
    However, the reason I cannot separate the two is because my channel is driven by my genuine thirst for knowledge in cigars.

Folks will tell you I don't post often, but I do try and contribute when I can...My cigar knowledge is far less than most of the folks here. My knowledge on many other subjects is far less as well.

The quote above stood out to me...Why do you (IMHO) try to portray yourself as an expert and then want to ask questions...Why not invite guests who have the answers and let them be the experts? You say you have a desire to learn but that does not match well with the content...

Nice to meet you @TBonz

My channel is in its infancy, so it's difficult to tell at the moment. But it is geared towards new smokers. I'm not trying to be an expert, i never said i was. Just giving basic tips. Cut and light, how the size of a cigar makes a difference in experience, different types of cutters. Stuff like that.

As i have spent a couple of months in factories and farms in esteli, and have met with several owners of large cigar companies, i would hope i could answer these basic questions.

But as the channel grows, i will have to grow as well and become more knowledgable. That's where my questions come from.

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

@VegasFrank said:
    Update on my TikTok stats Lawrence. How are your 300 views doing? They look lonely over there...

I have more thousand percent increases in viewership then you have total viewers....

You need to monitize. Drop a 30 second ad before the 7 second review. Use the ad revenue to get another one of your reviews set up as an ad then drop that before each one. Make the $$$.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...

@Wylaff said:

@VegasFrank said:

You need to monitize. Drop a 30 second ad before the 7 second review. Use the ad revenue to get another one of your reviews set up as an ad then drop that before each one. Make the $$$.

You need about 1,000,000 views to make $50 on YouTube Shorts.