Home Non Cigar Related
Options

you can't make this stuff up

Comments

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://hyperallergic.com/710546/thousands-pledge-to-egg-jeff-bezos-mega-yacht-rotterdam/

“We don’t just take [Rotterdam] apart for the phallus symbol of a megalomaniac billionaire,” said the protest’s organizers, who oppose dismantling the historic bridge.

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's just a Subaru, John Deere has been fighting Right to Repair for years. Wait till your 400,000 dollar tractor is setting in a field, waiting for a week till a technician can get there with his laptop.
    John Deere 8345RT

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@d_blades said:
    It's just a Subaru, John Deere has been fighting Right to Repair for years. Wait till your 400,000 dollar tractor is setting in a field, waiting for a week till a technician can get there with his laptop.
    John Deere 8345RT

People wonder what the fuss is. Here's an example:

When my Kubota was brand new, the PTO quit suddenly. I'm thinking "what the heck?", I was used to my old Ford tractor crapping out, and I usually knew what to do to at least finish today's work, if not a quick permanent fix.

So, new tractor, warranty, blah-blah, call Them to come fix this. Meanwhile, unable to rest my mind, I start checking it out and find that a section of wire that should have been tucked away and zip-tied in place, wasn't. Sure enough, it's wrenched out of the connector and the connector is screwed up, but only on the accessible side. Cool.

Technician arrives, I tell him what I've found, he looks at it and grunts and proceeds to follow the algorithms in his manual. OK, I think I know where that's going to lead him, so I just wait. Surely he's got a pin kit in his 3/4 ton bag of tricks.

After about 20 minutes of poking and grunting and referring to the manual, he arrives at the conclusion: "The rear sector wiring harness must be replaced". Huh? He explains that the tractor will have to go back to the shop, where they'll await the arrival at some undetermined time of the new parts, then be placed on the schedule for repair. New part should run about $1,300, possibly up to 3k for entire repair, since it would be considered operator error that the wire had been pulled out while operating the tractor.

I thanked him for his time as I told him I'd think of another way. Once he was gone I went over to the corner of my shop to the piles of old lawnmowers and motorcycle parts that reside there. After a few minutes work I've located a suitably sized pin in one of the connectors, remove it, solder it in place in the damaged connector on the tractor, voila! Been working ever since.

Kubota place sent me a bill for $47.00 "parts & labor". Well, y'all can probably guess the rest of the story.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

@d_blades said:
    John Deere 8345RT

I saw a documentary on YouTube that highlighted John Deere's desire to handle all repairs. I think John Deere is being quite unreasonable. I also think it is best to go with simple machines whenever possible. By "simple machines" I basically mean machines that you as an individual are capable of repairing when things go wrong.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
  • Options

Holding up lower cost, effective treatment, because the trials weren't racially diverse enough.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/fda-slows-approval-of-affordable-cancer-drug-in-the-name-of-racial-equity

• Options
    TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thinks it's less to do with the trial diversity and more to do with the treatment being low cost. Diversity was just an excuse to get some cheap political points.

Cancer is sadly a huge money maker, not to mention a fear to hang over people's heads. If a low cost treatment exists for lung cancer, the government's fetish to save everyone from 7th hand smoke, goes up in...smoke

• Options

@TheKraken said:
    Thinks it's less to do with the trial diversity and more to do with the treatment being low cost. Diversity was just an excuse to get some cheap political points.

Cancer is sadly a huge money maker, not to mention a fear to hang over people's heads. If a low cost treatment exists for lung cancer, the government's fetish to save everyone from 7th hand smoke, goes up in...smoke

Interesting take, I hadn't thought of that. I certainly wouldn't put it past the government.

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not dangerous to democracy, it's dangerous to the agenda. Democracy only works with varied viewpoints being freely expressed.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options

@d_blades said:
    It's not dangerous to democracy, it's dangerous to the agenda. Democracy only works with varied viewpoints being freely expressed.

Dangerous to their profit margins as well.

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rdp77 said:

What? Looks ready for sea level rise.

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, if there was a sea within 300 miles of here lol

• Options

Canadian Parliament moots a bill to make it a criminal offense to even intend to express hate speech in the future. In other words, if you haven't said anything yet, but someone complains that you might say something some day, then that's your crime.

https://www.parl.ca/DocumentViewer/en/43-2/bill/C-36/first-reading

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options

@webmost said:
    Canadian Parliament moots a bill to make it a criminal offense to even intend to express hate speech in the future. In other words, if you haven't said anything yet, but someone complains that you might say something some day, then that's your crime.

Reminds me of Minority Report.

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sneaky Magpies Outwit Scientists by Removing Tracking Devices

https://apple.news/AJYeeJlDdRwW9wXu-rTWghw

• Options

@webmost said:

Like a bunch of 5 year old kids. "I thought he was going to hit me so I hit him back, first"

Sad thing is, that's about how an all too large portion of humanity thinks. For real.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

@webmost said:

Leftist "progressives"

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@webmost said:

Like a bunch of 5 year old kids. "I thought he was going to hit me so I hit him back, first"

Sad thing is, that's about how an all too large portion of humanity thinks. For real.

Sad thing is, it's not even about hitting. It's merely "I don't like the way he thinks."

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gypsies stole a Russian tank. (Not a trusted source but really hoping it’s true for the laughs)
    https://www.diglogs.com/cesko/the-ukrainian-roma-achieved-success-seizing-the-russian-tank/

• Options

aw, jeez just put us out of our misery:

Putin puts nuclear forces on high alert as Ukraine announces talks with Russia
    Russian President Vladimir Putin said that he had put his nuclear deterrence forces into high alert, attributing the move to “aggressive statements” from the West against Russia.

• Options

Dude's a total thug.

Oh wait, I mean genius, right?

Nah, I think I'll stick with thug.

• Options

Not sure if this is the best thread for this, but it is just really bugging me. This guy kidnaps a 4 year old, beats him to death and leaves his body in the street, then goes back for the twin brother but gets spooked and runs away.

How is it even a debate on whether or not he understood what he was doing was wrong? He ran away when he heard a noise, he did this under the cover of night, both are indications that he didn't want to get caught, which means he understood it to be wrong.

He even tried to kidnap a toddler once but failed, then came back and apologized to the toddler's grandfather. Again, evidence that he knew what he was doing was wrong.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/man-charged-with-murdering-four-year-old-dallas-boy-cash-gernon-wont-stand-trial

All-in-all, this is why I take the measures I do in keeping my home secure.

• Options

@Hobbes86 said:
    Not sure if this is the best thread for this, but it is just really bugging me. This guy kidnaps a 4 year old, beats him to death and leaves his body in the street, then goes back for the twin brother but gets spooked and runs away.

How is it even a debate on whether or not he understood what he was doing was wrong? He ran away when he heard a noise, he did this under the cover of night, both are indications that he didn't want to get caught, which means he understood it to be wrong.

He even tried to kidnap a toddler once but failed, then came back and apologized to the toddler's grandfather. Again, evidence that he knew what he was doing was wrong.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/man-charged-with-murdering-four-year-old-dallas-boy-cash-gernon-wont-stand-trial

All-in-all, this is why I take the measures I do in keeping my home secure.

Deeds are facts.

Shrinkology is a series of conjectures based on fluctuating and frequently preposterous theories. Shrinks may fool themselves, lunatics may fool shrinks, and evil deeds may result from such tomfoolery.

When ought guilt or innocence be based on facts instead of lunacy?

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

Or a wood chipper, feet first. Hopefully they'll alert the family before they let him out so they can give him an appropriate welcome home party.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.