Home Non Cigar Related
Options

you can't make this stuff up

Comments

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is that there are a lot more ex-rock-throwers than we imagine, and that the vast, vast majority of them grew out of it and became responsible citizens in society. I only say that because, as a reformed rock-thrower, I believe that that vile practice does not doom one to perdition.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you get your ass whooped?

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have a lot of sympathy, for the kids. It was really impressed on me when I was driving I had others lives in my hands, both my passengers and others on the road.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ardent environmentalist Steven Spielberg may have to appear in court because of his $250 million megayacht. The luxurious 357 foot long yacht is built by the same shipyard that constructed Jeff Bezos’ Koru sailing yacht.

• Options

@Rdp77 said:

@ShawnOL said:
    You can't be an "environmentalist" and own a yacht that consumes 8 gals of diesel per mile.

Just like all of them that flew separate private jets to the “climate summit”. If I remember correctly is upwards of 120. They want you to do the things they say. Not to do them themselves.

Then they had to bring in diesel generators to charge the EVs.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rdp77 said:

@ShawnOL said:
    You can't be an "environmentalist" and own a yacht that consumes 8 gals of diesel per mile.

Just like all of them that flew separate private jets to the “climate summit”. If I remember correctly is upwards of 120. They want you to do the things they say. Not to do them themselves.

That was why I had to respect Ross Perot. All the dignitaries would show up in a caravan of Cadillacs and bodyguards to some event, here comes Ross with a couple assistants in his little car, Toyota Corolla I think. And he had more money than any of them. Walk the walk.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

https://fortune.com/2023/04/27/new-york-mta-twitter-service-alerts-elon-musk/

New York’s subway will no longer post alerts on Twitter after Elon Musk demanded $50,000 per month

• Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:
    El Septimo has cigar for sale... the Luxus Green, 2"x56 ring guage... ONLY $91 for a 5-pack.

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:

New York’s subway will no longer post alerts on Twitter after Elon Musk demanded $50,000 per month

MTA has their own app. Why on earth would they want to push people to another app? Idiots

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CharlieHeis said:

@silvermouse said:

MTA has their own app. Why on earth would they want to push people to another app? Idiots

And on top of that they are a MAJOR business. Why should they not have to pay to advertise and use services like every other major business does?

• Options

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

I smoked at least two packs a day of Kent golden lights for 8 years, “here’s looking at you kid”. Not looking awesome for me.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options

Looks like they took them off the market in 1956, so you can breathe a sigh of relief, Patrick.

https://www.mesothelioma.com/asbestos-exposure/products/asbestos-cigarette-filters/

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Edward!

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options

This is probably not good...

Published: 01 May 2023
    Semantic reconstruction of continuous language from non-invasive brain recordings
    Jerry Tang, Amanda LeBel, Shailee Jain & Alexander G. Huth
    Nature Neuroscience (2023)Cite this article

1219 Altmetric

Metricsdetails

Abstract
    A brain–computer interface that decodes continuous language from non-invasive recordings would have many scientific and practical applications. Currently, however, non-invasive language decoders can only identify stimuli from among a small set of words or phrases. Here we introduce a non-invasive decoder that reconstructs continuous language from cortical semantic representations recorded using functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI). Given novel brain recordings, this decoder generates intelligible word sequences that recover the meaning of perceived speech, imagined speech and even silent videos, demonstrating that a single decoder can be applied to a range of tasks. We tested the decoder across cortex and found that continuous language can be separately decoded from multiple regions. As brain–computer interfaces should respect mental privacy, we tested whether successful decoding requires subject cooperation and found that subject cooperation is required both to train and to apply the decoder. Our findings demonstrate the viability of non-invasive language brain–computer interfaces.

Semantic reconstruction of continuous language from non-invasive brain recordings

Data collected during the decoder resistance experiment are available upon reasonable request but were not publicly released due to concern that the data could be used to discover ways to bypass subject resistance.

This is a preview of subscription content, access via your institution

• Options

Anyone remember Firefox?

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    This is probably not good...

1219 Altmetric

Metricsdetails

Abstract
    A brain–computer interface that decodes continuous language from non-invasive recordings would have many scientific and practical applications. Currently, however, non-invasive language decoders can only identify stimuli from among a small set of words or phrases. Here we introduce a non-invasive decoder that reconstructs continuous language from cortical semantic representations recorded using functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI). Given novel brain recordings, this decoder generates intelligible word sequences that recover the meaning of perceived speech, imagined speech and even silent videos, demonstrating that a single decoder can be applied to a range of tasks. We tested the decoder across cortex and found that continuous language can be separately decoded from multiple regions. As brain–computer interfaces should respect mental privacy, we tested whether successful decoding requires subject cooperation and found that subject cooperation is required both to train and to apply the decoder. Our findings demonstrate the viability of non-invasive language brain–computer interfaces.

Data collected during the decoder resistance experiment are available upon reasonable request but were not publicly released due to concern that the data could be used to discover ways to bypass subject resistance.

This is a preview of subscription content, access via your institution

Could be useful for people that can't move and can no longer speak.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found another article on this. In the one above it says…
    As brain–computer interfaces should respect mental privacy, we tested whether successful decoding requires subject cooperation and found that subject cooperation is required both to train and to apply the decoder. Our findings demonstrate the viability of non-invasive language brain–computer interfaces.

The way this one says they gather the information it looks to me that if a fmri can be made small enough or made portable…then anyone’s thoughts can be translated by it.

• Options
  • Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

https://nypost.com/2023/05/01/woman-has-full-body-****-during-la-philharmonic-concert/

The ground really moved for one woman during the second movement of the LA Philharmonic's performance of Tchaikovsky's 5th Symphony   when she experienced a "loud and full body ****."

Several concertgoers described the woman's climactic moment Friday from the balcony at the packed Walt Disney Concert Hall.

"Everyone kind of turned to see what was happening," Molly Grant, who was sitting near the overjoyed woman, told the Los Angeles Times on Sunday.

"I saw the girl after it had happened, and I assume that she   had an **** because she was heavily breathing, and her partner was smiling and looking at her   like in an effort to not shame her," she said.

"It was quite beautiful," Grant added.

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?