you can't make this stuff up

Comments

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy Anniversary!

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TRayB said:
    Today is my wife and my 33rd Anniversay. Married June 16, 1990.

Popular year to get married.

Congratulations

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats Todd. Good milestone.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats, Todd!

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

Humans Aren’t Mentally Ready for an AI-Saturated ‘Post-Truth World’

The AI era promises a flood of disinformation, deepfakes, and hallucinated “facts.” Psychologists are only beginning to grapple with the implications.

https://www.wired.com/story/generative-ai-deepfakes-disinformation-psychology/c

• Options
  • Options

We're paying to spy on ourselves.

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShawnOL said:
    We're paying to spy on ourselves.

@rsherman24 said it best on the vherf last night. Look at how much google is worth as a company…but they don’t charge people a thing. They charge companies for the information they gather on you.

• Options

• Options

@Rdp77 said:

I couldn’t get the link to post for some reason. It makes sense that this would be coming out of California since they’re fighting to destroy the country’s pork industry. Looks like it is approved for restaurants first. The big thing I can’t find is whether or not it has to be disclosed whether you’re eating real meat or a lab experiment.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Homegrown pink slime, aka chicken nuggets

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

https://futurism.com/oceangate-ceo-expired-carbon-fiber-submarine

According to Weissman, Rush had bought the carbon fiber used to make the Titan "at a big discount from Boeing," because "it was past its shelf life for use in airplanes."

In other words, Rush knew that the carbon fiber — which is a very poor choice of material for a deepsea vessel, as many experts have pointed out — already potentially had flaws that could've played a role in the Titan's tragic demise.

• Options
    TRayBTRayB Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:

According to Weissman, Rush had bought the carbon fiber used to make the Titan "at a big discount from Boeing," because "it was past its shelf life for use in airplanes."

In other words, Rush knew that the carbon fiber — which is a very poor choice of material for a deepsea vessel, as many experts have pointed out — already potentially had flaws that could've played a role in the Titan's tragic demise.

I suppose his estate will be paying out big time.

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:

I just don't understand why a man would cut corners on a project when lives could hang in the balance. Bravado? Arrogance? Ignorance? Just sheer stupidity? I suppose it could be any of those and more, likely a mix of things. Whatever it was, it cost people lives and loved ones.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options

Overly thrifty, psychotic, or just greedy? He did charge a million dollars for the trip....

• Options

I thought it was $250k per person.

• Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShawnOL said:
    I thought it was $250k per person.

Maybe that's with the Groupon code

• Options
    edited June 2023

4@$250,000=$1,000,000

Just looked and I was wrong, there were three paying customers, according to this web site:

"Each of the three passengers that purchased a ticket to board the Titan paid $250,000, for a total of $750,000. "

https://en.as.com/latest_news/missing-titan-submarine-how-much-does-the-search-and-rescue-mission-cost-and-whos-paying-for-it-n-2/

Post edited by silvermouse on