Home Cigar 101
Options

Could have this been a Cuban?

OneillnOneilln Posts: 37 ✭✭✭

I went on a cruise this past May and Dominican Republic was one of the stops. I went on an excursion on a truck ride through the thickets of DR and one of the stops along the way was a hand made cigar making demonstration. The guy gave me a full blown cigar for free to try. He said it was a mix of Dominican and Cuban leaves. It was 9am so I puffed it a few times and he cut it off and re-packaged it for
me. Later that day I went into the cigar lounge and enjoyed the rest of it. Is there a chance this had real Cuban leaf in it? It certainly tasted completely different than any other cigar I’ve had and it may sound weird but i swear there was a mouth feel to it. I’ve attached a picture of the band incase it may give anything away.

Comments

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not likely.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023

“Cuban leaf” could mean a lot of things. Could mean it was grown and cured in Cuba…most likely not. Could mean it was grown from Cuban seed…maybe. Could mean a guy in the thicket of the DR saw a tourist and took a chance hoping he would get some money out of you….most likely

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023

Pretty sure that was a Dominican Victor Sinclair. ;)

Without being mean to a new guy... but why, outside of just being curious, does it matter. A long time ago Cuban tobacco was great, but now not so much, and none of us can afford it. So disabuse yourself of pursuing anything Cuban here and now.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

@peter4jc said:
    Pretty sure that was a Dominican Victor Sinclair. ;)

Without being mean to a new guy... but why, outside of just being curious, does it matter. A long time ago Cuban tobacco was great, but now not so much, and none of us can afford it. So disabuse yourself of pursuing anything Cuban here and now.

Fair point. The only reason for wondering if it’s Cuban is just to expand my pallet and start to learn flavor profiles of different countries and such.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

palate

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023

What palate? 😉

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly DR promotes their tobacco. Unless it comes from a habanos store it’s just talk to get you to buy more.

• Options

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    palate

Haha sorry, I’ve been writing “pallet” at work everyday in paperwork for the last 3 months. Habit.

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rewired 5 different palletizers.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.