Home Non Cigar Related
Options

you can't make this stuff up

Comments

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

🤣

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023

@silvermouse said:
    Women’s programming code rated better than men, but only when their gender is unknown

https://www.zmescience.com/research/technology/womens-programming-code-rated-better/

It's a story from 2016. However, I've googled the headline, and I found many different stories of the same basic article, written by different authors/reporters regurgitating the same statistics using the same big headline. - "If the sex of the code writers was kept anonymous, code written by women was approved at a higher rate (78.6 percent) than code written by men (74.6 percent) and that means men are bad". Wait, hold up. 4%? I don't give a crap about 4%. Sure, it's a win for Team Misandry, but basically like a buzzer beater in basketball with 90ish points scored by each side. That 4% rate is especially no big deal if you also omit what the percentage is when the writer's sex is known. Can you please show me the other side of the coin?

Does anybody know what the acceptance rate was when the sex of the author of the code was known? I've tried to find the answer and now I'm tired of looking for the opposing statistic. If they have one stat, they damn well have the other and they choose not to include it in all these "stats prove men are bad" articles. So, since they have chosen to keep that stat to themselves, I'm just gonna assume that it is also a low single digit percentage. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing less than 8% because even if the unreported stat was only 8%, they would be more than happy to use the terms "twice as much sexism" or "double the misogyny" ,.. wouldn't they?

• Options

I suspect that number to be quite low.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,703 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saw a meme yesterday; Burning Man - All of those tarot cards, and nobody saw this coming.

LOL

Maybe I don't understand BM but I'd think it has jumped the shark already, and if not, it will soon.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

@peter4jc said:
    >

Maybe I don't understand BM but I'd think it has jumped the shark already, and if not, it will soon.

It’s all about the orgies. Isn’t it?

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

You think things are confusing now…15-20 years from now you won’t be able to tell if it’s a real person you’re looking at or not….

• Options
  • Options

Looks like SkyNet is about to go online.

• Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShawnOL said:
    Looks like SkyNet is about to go online.

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    And an eco-warrior shows his true self:

Outspoken climate activist Steven Spielberg sailed his mammoth superyacht just to enjoy the Italian Riviera. The $250 million vessel, which is longer than two Olympic-sized swimming pools, burns around 700 liters of diesel every hour even when it is not moving.

https://luxurylaunches.com/transport/steven-spielberg-sailed-seven-sea-yacht-to-italy.php

When you figure two V-12 Detroit main engines, the hydraulic power engine and the generator, our fishing vessels, about 130', burned about 55 gallons per hour or about 200 liters, sitting still.

Under way, quite a bit more.

700 gallons is probably a bit exaggerated sitting at idle.
    Under way, absolutely.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    edited September 2023

Article said 700 liters to make it sound worse. Only 180 gallons. Must have been a European writer.

• Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

A 95-year-old Korean War veteran said he was given less than two months' notice to figure out where he was going to live after the nursing home he resided in was sold to become a facility for undocumented migrants.
    Veteran Frank Tammaro joined Rep. Nicole Malliotakis, R-N.Y., a vocal critic of New York City's handling of the migrant crisis, at a press conference on Monday to discuss the reported deal.
    "The thing I'm annoyed about is how they did it, it was very disgraceful what they did to the people in Island Shores," Tammaro said, referencing the assisted living facility he was in.
    "Then one day there was a notice on the board. I think that gave us a month and a half to find out where we were going to go," he said. "I thought my suitcases were going to be on the curb because I'm not that fast."
    "If it wasn't for my daughter, they would've been on the curb. That was it. I said, 'No, no, no, no, you're not moving me,' and they said, 'Yes, yes, yes we are.' Everything was done behind closed doors we didn't have a chance to actually make any attempt to stop them because there wasn't enough time."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/95-old-veteran-kicked-nursing-205910143.html

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

New York. Sounds like Chucky Schumer and Heinrich Himmler have more in common than anyone would have thought.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

What the fvck, chuck

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options

German airline Lufthansa says it would consume half of Germany’s electricity if it were to switch to green fuels
    Lufthansa's Carsten Spohr thinks it could take half of Germany's electricity supply to make enough green fuel for its fleet.

• Options

CULTURE, lol

North Carolina radio station plans to reject broadcasts of 'inappropriate' Met operas

https://www.npr.org/2023/09/29/1202425600/met-opera-wcpe-north-carolina

• Options
    edited October 2023

@silvermouse said:
    CULTURE, lol

North Carolina radio station plans to reject broadcasts of 'inappropriate' Met operas

https://www.npr.org/2023/09/29/1202425600/met-opera-wcpe-north-carolina

90% of the listeners replying to the survey said they agree with the station manager. There's no problem here except outside libs butting in, trying to force influence onto a local/regional radio station.

Post edited by Bob_Luken on
  • Options

I didn't know operas could be inappropriate.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's been a while since I've stopped by Harris Ranch, good stop for long trips, but most of the EV charging stations at rest stops in CA seem to use diesel generators for power.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )