Home Pipes

Beginner Pipe Smoking Sessions Personal Notes

OutdoorsSmoke_21191OutdoorsSmoke_21191 Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

Today, after taking in knowledge from several generous people from this forum, started back my pipe tobacco journey. These are simply my thoughts and opinions. Keep in perspective, from a new hobbyist.

1. Started with KBV BURLEY MORNING PIPE tobacco (from @Stubble). Flavors I tasted: sweet cream and sugary notes over mild flavored coffee. I will look up this tobacco and flavor profile later.
  2. Definitely too loosely filled bowl at first. Many relights. Noticed very audible drawing sounds from bowl. Most body of smoke and flavor was on initial relights. I used a soft flame lighter.
  3. Remembering not to draw too fast and be patient…I wasn’t at first. Many relights. Set pipe aside for 10 minutes. I was expecting too much too fast.
  4. Tamping became my friend. Started experimenting by slowly tamping to get tobacco more compressed to see if I could get a better and more consistent burn. Eureka! Tamped and compressed more than I thought I should and got longer burn time, more consistent body of smoke and consistent flavor. I enjoyed this discovery.
  5. Patience during the learning and self discovery process must become internalized in order to focus on the positives and reaping enjoyment from the experience.
  6. I enjoyed my session thoroughly. I discovered a few things I can use during my next session.
  7. Overall, I had fun.

A good cigar and whiskey solve most problems.

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 27,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, yeah, I use the small knife blade on my pipe knife to release the vacuum on tins when opening them.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • OutdoorsSmoke_21191OutdoorsSmoke_21191 Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    Oh, yeah, I use the small knife blade on my pipe knife to release the vacuum on tins when opening them.

Now you tell me 🤣🤣🤣

• YaksterYakster Posts: 27,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

A coin should also work.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

Like Rusty @Rdp77 says….some things you just have figure out yourself. 🧐🤔🤣

So far, in my piping journey, I’ve been drawn to Virginian and Latakia. I love the boldness of these tobaccos.

Does anyone have a suggestion on a blend that is heavy with both of these?

Thank you in advance.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OutdoorsSmoke_21191 said:
    So far, in my piping journey, I’ve been drawn to Virginian and Latakia. I love the boldness of these tobaccos.

Thank you in advance.

Well, you have some pure latakia, you could try looking for Full Virginia Flake (FVF) tobacco, and then experiment with adding latakia in measured ratios and see what really tickles your fancy.

For example, Robert McConnell's Red Virginia, or maybe the Folded Flake which I think is all, or nearly all Virginia and then your latakia. I'd start with one part Lat to four parts Virginia. Let it rest in a small jar for a day or two, then try it. Change ratios and see if you like your new blend better?

Should you decide to add some Black Cavendish to this, which I sometimes do, remember that a very small amount of Black Cav goes a long, long way. Long way. No foolin'.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

@Amos_Umwhat said:

Thank you in advance.

Well, you have some pure latakia, you could try looking for Full Virginia Flake (FVF) tobacco, and then experiment with adding latakia in measured ratios and see what really tickles your fancy.

For example, Robert McConnell's Red Virginia, or maybe the Folded Flake which I think is all, or nearly all Virginia and then your latakia. I'd start with one part Lat to four parts Virginia. Let it rest in a small jar for a day or two, then try it. Change ratios and see if you like your new blend better?

Should you decide to add some Black Cavendish to this, which I sometimes do, remember that a very small amount of Black Cav goes a long, long way. Long way. No foolin'.

Steve thanks for the advice. I have both. I will begin the experiment. Keep you posted.

@Amos_Umwhat I miss spoke when I said Virginian… I meant Kentucky. Would you still recommend the same ratios?

edited May 1

@Amos_Umwhat I miss spoke when I said Virginian… I meant Kentucky. Would you still recommend the same ratios?

yes, but you'll probably end up with a higher latakia ratio as you go. Just start small.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • HawksHawks Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try Uzumaki from KBV. I've been burning the heck out of that one lately. 🤙

Nolite Oblivisci Peniculus Dentes

Thank you in advance.

Loading my pipe this morning with Sextant and thought about this question. It's a G.L. Pease blend. I think @Stubble sent it to me a while back. Heavy on Latakia with oriental and Kentucky, If you haven't had it, you might add it to the list.

Missed this one somehow 🤔. Thank you @Amos_Umwhat