Home Trades, Passes and Bombs
Options

Our client paid us in Cigars

Hello! I read a few posts, sounds like I can post this here?
We had a client pay us in Cigars, stored in Humidor.
Is anyone interested? The Facebook group I tried to join aren’t allowing my posts yet…
Any other advice on where to sell?
Thanks so much! Almost all wrapped in plastic and I don’t know how long we can make sure these continue to stay in excellent condition…as there is a temperature gauge etc..this is just a few of them.
Thanks in advance for any help or advice as we are not cigar users(;

Comments

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11

@Yakster said:
    You should have insisted on cash.

Or taken them to court if the initial agreement was for payment in money of some sort. Even if they have nothing to pay with now, someday they might, and that is a better chance of you being made whole than getting paid in cigars.

I feel your pain; you realized this would be the only form of payment you'd ever get from this low-life client, and now here we are... you have a load of cigars you don't want and we have a person we know nothing about trying to sell said cigars.

You should know that selling cigars on a forum is nigh impossible; we have no way of knowing who you are or the condition of the cigars. You could set the price at pennies on the dollar and I still don't think you'd get any takers.

I wish I had better news for you, and some good ideas on how to re-coup your money, but I don't.

Or... maybe I'm the dupe that just spent 10min typing a reply to someone who doesn't have cigars, who wants to have my money?

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

Questions.
    1. What type of client?
    2. What business are you in?
    3. Why accept something as payment you know nothing about?
    4. Ever wonder why the Facebook group wouldn’t allow the post?
    5. Do you smoke cigars?
    6. Can you show other pictures?
    7. Yes, I ask for specific reasons.
    8. Do you have prices in mind?
    9. Where did you come up with said prices?
    10. Did you know that if 5 people mark this thread as spam it disappears?

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭✭

You would have to ship without payment to ensure the buyers aren't cheated. We operate on trust and we don't trust new people. If your willing to ship out the cigars and receive payment after they are received come back to us.

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    ErikasashaErikasasha Posts: 7

I did not know I even put prices (; sorry!
    Just looking for advice I just posted.
    Questions.
    1. What type of client? Property management
    2. What business are you in? pm
    3. Why accept something as payment you know nothing about? He is an old wealthy man and he gave us a lot of stuff this is what is left.
    4. Ever wonder why the Facebook group wouldn’t allow the post? I didn’t want our business to be online and I’m under “anonymous” I started a new fb page and waiting to get accepted.
    5. Do you smoke cigars? No
    6. Can you show other pictures? Yes!
    7. Yes, I ask for specific reasons.
    8. Do you have prices in mind? Nope wide open
    9. Where did you come up with said prices? I did not put any price down I am open I have zero clue on cigars
    10. Did you know that if 5 people mark this thread as spam it disappears? No😂

• Options

This is what we have, I didn’t want to wait as I am clueless and don’t want to toss them and we need the money.
    I went to all local smoke shops and they recommended try online!
    Is there a fb group you would recommend?
    I have no problem sending some out to make sure we are legit!

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11

@Erikasasha
    What major city are you near?

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options

Boise (;

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Erikasasha said:
    Boise (;

Boise :(

• Options
    TRayBTRayB Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish I lived in Boise. Not just for the cigars.

• Options
    edited April 12

@Erikasasha said:

This is what we have, I didn’t want to wait as I am clueless and don’t want to toss them and we need the money.
    I went to all local smoke shops and they recommended try online!
    Is there a fb group you would recommend?
    I have no problem sending some out to make sure we are legit!

It's hard to tell if that container is airtight or close to being airtight.
    Are you aware that if cigars are not stored within specific temperature and humidity ranges for extended periods of time, they will lose flavors, and eventually become worthless? How do you know, as someone with no experience with cigars, that the previous owner was properly dedicated to meticulous storage practices? Was there any device in the box that provided humidification? Was there a hygrometer that measures humidity and temperature? Have you examined any of the cigars closely to determine if they are dried out? Even an untrained eye can spot severe "dehydration". Are they crumbly? Cracked? Falling apart in any way?
    I think it's good that you appear willing to ship without advanced payment, because the condition of the cigars will determine their value.
    Here's something to consider, I happen to be hosting a gathering of a half dozen top-notch high-quality members of this forum in a couple of weeks. If you would be willing to "carefully" pack up some of your cigars and ship them to me, you would have a panel of experts evaluate their condition, and providing that they are smokable, we will light them up and see if they are worth buying. If that goes well, I would be willing to offer you a fair price for perhaps the whole lot. Or if others in attendance are also willing to purchase, we could split the sale into separate interests. I would like for you to send for evaluation five or six each of the Davioffs, Camachos, Fuentes, and maybe others, but not the Baccarats. Send me a PM if you are interested in this idea.

Post edited by Bob_Luken on
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12

@Erikasasha
    The Camacho corojos are pretty good cigars. A week ago I received a 10pk of them for $40 fresh from the retailer. I'll give you $3/cigar for a box of them. If they are good ill buy the rest of the camachos at $4/cigar. You ship first, I pay when they arrive. If they are in good condition I'll vouch for you here.
    I can do PayPal, zelle or personal check.

Post edited by ShawnOL on

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for taking one for the team, @ShawnOL!

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

I got a PM also. This will be a fun project for us at the MurfHerf in two weeks.

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShawnOL said:
    @Erikasasha
    The Camacho corojos are pretty good cigars. A week ago I received a 10pk of them for $40 fresh from the retailer. I'll give you $3/cigar for a box of them. If they are good ill buy the rest of the camachos at $4/cigar. You ship first, I pay when they arrive. If they are in good condition I'll vouch for you here.

Just know that those Camachos should be completely different than any you recently purchased.

• Options

I wanted to mail Monday as we live in a tiny mountain town and it will ship faster on Monday and not sit in our post office all weekend!
    Also I took the temp gauge out to take a picture and accidentally reset it..I have attached photos.
    it was at 64* 65% I don’t know if that is good or bad? Advice appreciated (; should I be doing something to make these stay good for you all?

And this was in there…see attached photos.

• Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12

Radio shack that's awesome

Edit: spelling

• Options

@Erikasasha said:
    I wanted to mail Monday as we live in a tiny mountain town and it will ship faster on Monday and not sit in our post office all weekend!
    Also I took the temp gauge out to take a picture and accidentally reset it..I have attached photos.
    it was at 64* 65% I don’t know if that is good or bad? Advice appreciated (; should I be doing something to make these stay good for you all?

And this was in there…see attached photos.

64 degrees and 65% humidity is good. You should not have to do anything else to preserve them. It would be good if you could get the hygrometer reset so that it would work properly for the time being.

• Options

I am very appreciative of your community!
    Praying you all like these cigars too(;

• Options

@Erikasasha
    I call dibs on the antique hygrometer!

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Erikasasha
    How much for the Davidoff and Opus? Asking for a friend.....

• Options

Make an offer.

• Options

@Rdp77 said:

@ShawnOL said:
    @Erikasasha

Just know that those Camachos should be completely different than any you recently purchased.

@Rdp77 said:

@ShawnOL said:
    @Erikasasha

Yeah, judging by the boxes I'd say they are quite old. Old banding, blend. That's why I only offered $3/stick to try them out. Hoping they still have most of their flavor.

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShawnOL said:
    Make an offer.

I can't be the buyer and the seller. I'll start at $100

• Options

Tracking number received.

• Options
    OutdoorsSmoke_21191OutdoorsSmoke_21191 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tracking number received also.

A good cigar and whiskey solve most problems.

• Options

Yep, apologies all..apparently this was a bust, I guess the 70’s Radio Shack gauge didn’t work (;

It was recommended I get a Bovidar to see if they come back…I will try that but I guess I’m out (;

Thanks for all your help and advice and it was fun getting to know you all a little!

If you are all ever in the Sun Valley area, we have vacation rentals and I can give you a Cigar discount on your stay (;

www.sunvalleyconcierges.com

Wishing you all well!

Best,
    Erika

• Options
    edited April 19

Received mine yesterday. Same thing, hard as a rock and a little dry. They have definitely lost a bunch of strength and flavor. The wrapper still smelled good. If they rehydrate well, they would make acceptable yard/work gars. I may still like to buy some of the camachos, @Erikasasha. A price would need to be negotiated.
    Here are some pics. Sealed box.