Home General Discussion
Options

CONTEST: Your design ideas win !!

OutdoorsSmoke_21191OutdoorsSmoke_21191 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

Open to everyone. Here’s your chance to competitively design something I will use forever.

I’m offering a forum cigar 15 pack for the most design elements I use of yours to finalize a design build pipe and tobacco pouch, roll, container or whatever, as long as it’s portable and contains all the necessities. The main body must be made out of leather, suede or a combination of both. Doesn’t matter if you smoke a pipe or not. It’s all about the design features.

Im purposely, not providing too many parameters. I’d like this as organic and spontaneous as possible, with as many participants as possible. Go wild. I will be commissioning this design build project to a professional leather crafter buddy of mine. Details matter.

I’d like to keep this open until the end of the month. Seriously, I appreciate your helpful feedback to design this.

I will attach some photos of a cigar roll I had commissioned a few years ago as inspiration.

Good luck and let the ideas flow.

A good cigar and whiskey solve most problems.

Comments

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

That makes it worse ↑

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't know about leather but I could send you one of these.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

@ShawnOL said:
    Don't know about leather but I could send you one of these.

Have plenty 😜

• Options

@First_Warrior said:
    I'm just bit old fashioned

Not opposed to the fray element 😉

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use an old camera case for mine. I keep the pipe and a bag of tobacco where the camera would go, and all the tools/lighters in the film roll holders. It zips closed and has a belt loop on it, which I usually use with a carabiner to connect it to my camping pack (as the only time I take it away from home is camping)

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

Magnets…..bring the cool factor up!

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options

Nice….magnets instead of clasps, buttons or snaps???

• Options

Looking for the cool factor while being functional. Sure I could do the easy route and buy something online but I’d rather do custom and put food on my buddy’s table.

Please post as many pics that represent your ideas. 🤙🏼

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20

Magnets can easily fail. Snaps fail way less often. Ties won't fail (if you can tie).

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

What leather are you looking to use? Smoked brain tan or chrome tan buffalo, mule deer, elk, moose, would add something that domestic animal hide like cow, horse, or goat lacks.

• Options

@VegasFrank said:
    Magnets can easily fail. Snaps fail way less often. Ties won't fail (if you can tie).

I have snaps on my cigar roll. The snaps also have individual designs on them. They work great to keep the cigar tubes secure.

• Options

@First_Warrior said:
    What leather are you looking to use? Smoked brain tan or chrome tan buffalo, mule deer, elk, moose, would add something that domestic animal hide like cow, horse, or goat lacks.

This is interesting. I had not thought passed regular domestic animal hide. You got any sample pics?

• Options

@silvermouse said:
    A couple of deerskin pouches from my Wampanoag friends

I like those pouches. Perhaps a tobacco pouch that disconnects from the main body??

• Options

I like the texture of that horse hide.

• Options

I think I was too ambiguous for this contest. First time, so forgive the suckiness. Let me try to clarify and simplify.
    1. Looking for an overall design, done by you, for a pipers set up.
    2. Looking for as many different features you can come up with for your particular overall design. Pics definitely help.
    3. From your designs I will pick the features I like and will incorporate in my final design.
    4. The person that I choose the most design elements from wins.

I’m open to suggestions for making this more fun and interesting. LMK

Thanks

• Options
    MrShrekMrShrek Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21

Ok so here is a quick lunch break sketch. With the bedroll look in mind, you would have a leather cylinder that would be bound shut with one or two straps with clasps. The opening would be down the length of the cylinder to clamshell open into two halves. As you will see at the bottom is a tobacco tin that will determine the diameter and combined with the chosen pipe you would get the necessary length. Half of the tin would be exposed when opened as to make it easy to remove and would fit into the mirrored half to store. On the tin side you would have the pipe with a strap to help secure it or you could even do an envelope to tuck in the bowl of the pipe to secure it as well.
    The void in the mirrored half would allow for the width of the pipe much like the tobacco tin. With what space is left in the void of the mirrored half you could have envelopes stitched in for a lighter or matches and various tools. Hope this helps on your new design my friend.

Post edited by MrShrek on
  • Options

@MrShrek Glen!!! Yessir this the kind of input I was hoping to get from people. Thank you for your input and insight.

Everyone else please take note!! You guys don’t want to give e freebie to Glen, do you 😜😜

• Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like Glen's sketch. If the body is made out of latigo leather it could be dyed and embossed like the cigar roll that you have. Anyway both could be stuffed in to your saddlebags without damage.

• Options
    TRayBTRayB Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OutdoorsSmoke_21191 said:
    I think I was too ambiguous for this contest. First time, so forgive the suckiness. Let me try to clarify and simplify.
    2. Looking for as many different features you can come up with for your particular overall design. Pics definitely help.
    3. From your designs I will pick the features I like and will incorporate in my final design.

**** I’m open to suggestions for making this more fun and interesting****. LMK

Thanks

For my part, although I am not offering a design, and not being a pipe-smoker, I would need to know what equipment and accoutrements are essential to a complete design.

• Options

@TRayB said:

@OutdoorsSmoke_21191 said:

**** I’m open to suggestions for making this more fun and interesting****. LMK

Thanks

For my part, although I am not offering a design, and not being a pipe-smoker, I would need to know what equipment and accoutrements are essential to a complete design.

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,861 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be thinking something down the lines of an Antique Surgical Kit but I think TRay summed it up for the direction I would take. Also WW1 and WW2 field medical pouches are equally as awesome.

• Options

Compiling participant elements I intend to use. Will post later. Closing this one out 6/1. I appreciate your input. Thank you.

PS. I promise I will K.I.S.S. in future contests AND forum thread appropriate 🤓