Home Ratings & Reviews

A real man's reviews

124»

Comments

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

The flag and disagree buttons are an unfortunate aspect of this forum. The flag button is only useful for voting an abuser or spammer off the list (it takes five flags for removal). Other than that they only cause trouble, hurt feelings, and misunderstandings. And sometimes folks hit them on their tiny phone keyboards by mistake.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21

@Ksqsmoking said:

@peter4jc said:
    Somebody flagged me!!! Who would do such a thing??? Frank!!!

Friend, can’t help but feeling this was a dig. What gives? I’ve posted less than 70 times when I got flagged for something “silly”. With all due respect, cut the BS. If this is how new community members get treated by you… How about you pm me and we’ll take it offline.

So I went back and reviewed all the evidence. You got flagged by probably Peter for posting that you ubered some McDonald's in the dinner thread.

To the naked eye, it looked like you were trying to get to 50 posts to get a newbie trade in. The evidence to support this was a lot of necro posting on threads that were several pages deep. That's why the little gentle love tap from Peter came. When you complained about it, somebody else thought it would be funny to add to your flag list.

By the way a lot of guys do this and I actually Don't GAF. Post whatever you want to post. It looks like to me you're just reading everything on the forum and commenting on things that interest you, even if the conversation is over. That is your prerogative. There are unwritten forum rules here, like only certain guys are allowed to necro post and everybody else catches hell for it. It's stupid and not serious.

By the way, posting that you ubered some McDonald's is not outside the bones of that thread. People are always talking about the cut up strawberries and whatever else they're eating for dinner or whatever meal that was. It's all fine.

I have hundreds if not several hundreds of flags on my account and I dgaf. People can flag me as much as they want and I'm still going to be me.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • KsqsmokingKsqsmoking Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21

@VegasFrank said:

@Ksqsmoking said:

@peter4jc said:

Friend, can’t help but feeling this was a dig. What gives? I’ve posted less than 70 times when I got flagged for something “silly”. With all due respect, cut the BS. If this is how new community members get treated by you… How about you pm me and we’ll take it offline.

So I went back and reviewed all the evidence. You got flagged by probably Peter for posting that you ubered some McDonald's in the dinner thread.

To the naked eye, it looked like you were trying to get to 50 posts to get a newbie trade in. The evidence to support this was a lot of necro posting on threads that were several pages deep. That's why the little gentle love tap from Peter came. When you complained about it, somebody else thought it would be funny to add to your flag list.

By the way a lot of guys do this and I actually Don't GAF. Post whatever you want to post. It looks like to me you're just reading everything on the forum and commenting on things that interest you, even if the conversation is over. That is your prerogative. There are unwritten forum rules here, like only certain guys are allowed to necro post and everybody else catches hell for it. It's stupid and not serious.

By the way, posting that you ubered some McDonald's is not outside the bones of that thread. People are always talking about the cut up strawberries and whatever else they're eating for dinner or whatever meal that was. It's all fine.

I have hundreds if not several hundreds of flags on my account and I dgaf. People can flag me as much as they want and I'm still going to be me.

Just to set the record straight with the rest of the group. There was no malicious intent behind the crapload of posts. I’m on vacation and trying to have fun and kill some time. Incidentally, I’m admittedly ignorant, is there a problem with someone wanting to trade?

The obstacle is the way.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 27,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

All good here.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ksqsmoking said:

@peter4jc said:

Did the whole “thick skin” thing not resonate? Do you not realize that if someone here is giving you a “dig” it’s a form of acceptance? Have you noticed the way we talk to each other? The guys on here giving each other the most digs are some very close friends, not only on this forum but also outside of it. Being “digged” is a way of life here if you’re “one of the guys”.

But take it offline?? The internet toughguy stuff isn’t going to phase anyone here.

@Rdp77 said:

@Ksqsmoking said:

@peter4jc said:

Did the whole “thick skin” thing not resonate? Do you not realize that if someone here is giving you a “dig” it’s a form of acceptance? Have you noticed the way we talk to each other? The guys on here giving each other the most digs are some very close friends, not only on this forum but also outside of it. Being “digged” is a way of life here if you’re “one of the guys”.

But take it offline?? The internet toughguy stuff isn’t going to phase anyone here.

Internet tough guy stuff? Asking to take something private to talk it out is tough guy stuff? You guys have made it clear you don’t see me as a fit. @VegasFrank I appreciate your moderation, but this is a total buzz kill. I thought I had made some positive contributions.

The obstacle is the way.

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ksqsmoking
    Didn't I just post a couple of hours ago that we're glad you made it this far? Hang around for another while, and you'll see that this is a great little community.

I don't have any issues with you... you seem to be a straight shooter and fit in just fine. If I had a problem with you I'd let you know right out in the open, so no need to take it offline. We good?

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    edited July 21

@peter4jc said:
    @Ksqsmoking
    Didn't I just post a couple of hours ago that we're glad you made it this far? Hang around for another while, and you'll see that this is a great little community.

I don't have any issues with you... you seem to be a straight shooter and fit in just fine. If I had a problem with you I'd let you know right out in the open, so no need to take it offline. We good?

@peter4jc We’re good. Listen, contrary to what some others believe, @Rdp77 , I wasn’t trying to be an internets tough guy when I asked you to pm me. Just wanted to talk it out and get on the same page. I’m almost half way to the 5 points that will get me booted and I don’t even have 100 posts. I don’t want to invest my time into something if it’s going to be a dead end. This back and forth, yep it takes two, today hasn’t been a positive experience. It started with that abuse flag for me posting what I ate last night. There are some guys on here, @VegasFrank @ShawnOL , who seem pretty stand up. They’ve been liking my posts and I’ve been liking theirs, including yours. I guess I got out of the gate too fast for people’s comfort. I might just take a break for a bit.

The obstacle is the way.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21

@Ksqsmoking there's no point system that determines if your account gets booted or terminated or whatever. The five points for the spam posting just means that a post that receives five spam alerts will then not go to the top of the pile when that particular post is updated or replied to.

I took your "PM me and will take it offline" comment the same way Rusty did at first, and then I realized you just wanted to talk to it offline, not beat him up LOL. It's no biggie and misunderstandings with writing in forums happens all the time, especially in this one LOL. Don't worry about it. Water under the bridge.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ksqsmoking ,

Somewhere lost in the necromancy of the Merry Memes thread there is a meme that shows a bunch of civilians in one picture, and then a bunch of soldiers in another. The caption was "My civilian friends, talk nice to my face, talk smack behind my back. My military friends, talk smack to my face, say nice things about me behind my back".

That's kind of how it is around here. Hang in, you've been a great addition to the forum.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • VisionVision Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22

@Ksqsmoking

Don't let them fool you. This is like first day prison type ****. You either hit first or you better have a peeerdy mouth boy...... I heard it from a friend...... and maybe experience.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 9,180 ✭✭✭✭✭

$20 is $20, right Pete?

Trapped in the People's Communist Republic of Massachusetts.

• VisionVision Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShawnOL said:
    $20 is $20, right Pete?

You right!

• OutdoorsSmoke_21191OutdoorsSmoke_21191 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ksqsmoking
    Let me have a crack, one at being nice, two, giving a little forum insight. When I joined this forum, less than a year ago, I was the new guy, doing exactly what you are doing, to get involved and interact with the forum members. HOWEVER, me personally, did not negatively react to flags, digs, jokes, etc etc. I responded, as I usually do, as a smart ass. Humor and thick skin goes 99.9% all the way around here. Just let it go buddy and I guarantee you will enjoy yourself for a very long time. Now, keep in mind, this is my humble opinion. Most people on this forum will tell you I’m not nice and I’m full of 💩. 🖕🏼them 😂😂😂

A good cigar and whiskey solve most problems.

@OutdoorsSmoke_21191 said:
    @Ksqsmoking
    Let me have a crack, one at being nice, two, giving a little forum insight. When I joined this forum, less than a year ago, I was the new guy, doing exactly what you are doing, to get involved and interact with the forum members. HOWEVER, me personally, did not negatively react to flags, digs, jokes, etc etc. I responded, as I usually do, as a smart ass. Humor and thick skin goes 99.9% all the way around here. Just let it go buddy and I guarantee you will enjoy yourself for a very long time. Now, keep in mind, this is my humble opinion. Most people on this forum will tell you I’m not nice and I’m full of 💩. 🖕🏼them 😂😂😂

@OutdoorsSmoke_21191

Yeah, I’m over that flag thing. Bring em on. No complaints here going forward. I put too much stock into what those flags mean. Thought I was getting booted prematurely.

The obstacle is the way.

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol, the poor guy gets flagged, is that 4 1/2 points?

A little dirt never hurt

@dirtdude said:

I only have 3 so far. Working on it.

The obstacle is the way.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 27,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still haven't figured out what the points are for.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

@Ksqsmoking said:

@dirtdude said:

I only have 3 so far. Working on it.

To get back on topic, before my sarcasm escapes someone, I'm not sure you answered this @VegasFrank . Would you consider doing some reviews again for us newbies? Just tell us if the draw is good and it's tasty? I get the back story for these, but the reviews were actually entertaining.

The obstacle is the way.

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭✭

The best thing to do with online reviewers as well as with us forum brothers is to figure out whose palates align with yours, as much as that's possible. It takes a lot of time for that alignment to become apparent, but without it, reviews are kinda worthless. Even the "Whatcha Smokin' This ____" threads don't help that much; we smoke a lot of stuff that was given to us, whether or not it's what we'd buy; and sometimes we buy stuff to try it out and find out we won't buy it again. @deadman Nick has a thread each year where we can list our favorite smokes from the past year, and that might prove helpful, but again there's no guarantee that if Mr. Brown likes it Mr. Pink will like it too. Maybe a tabulation of those lists to find the cigars most broadly enjoyed would do it.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

@peter4jc said:
    The best thing to do with online reviewers as well as with us forum brothers is to figure out whose palates align with yours, as much as that's possible. It takes a lot of time for that alignment to become apparent, but without it, reviews are kinda worthless. Even the "Whatcha Smokin' This ____" threads don't help that much; we smoke a lot of stuff that was given to us, whether or not it's what we'd buy; and sometimes we buy stuff to try it out and find out we won't buy it again. @deadman Nick has a thread each year where we can list our favorite smokes from the past year, and that might prove helpful, but again there's no guarantee that if Mr. Brown likes it Mr. Pink will like it too. Maybe a tabulation of those lists to find the cigars most broadly enjoyed would do it.

@peter4jc Appreciate that input

The obstacle is the way.

• Beardedpop1Beardedpop1 Posts: 13 ✭✭

@OutdoorsSmoke_21191 said:
    @Ksqsmoking unfortunately, you are going to have to go through the process that everybody has gone through. If you’re serious about investing in the hobby, you’re going to spend a lot of fawking money to develop your palate.

I greatly agree on all angles of this. First off reviews are just that... What that person thought of that cigar. I typically never review a single cigar as you can buy a box and each one smoke just a little different. I have had a box that half had a hard draw and burn was off but the other half were a dream. Then I have had some that others love and they are rated high yet I toasted half way through. You will need to buy different cigars and buy a couple of each not just one to try and define your palate and see what you like and don't. I do try suggestions from various people and reviews when I try new cigars. But I haven't found that one have to have cigar just yet that I won't be trying any other cigar again. So keep on trying and enjoy the journey. That is just my two cents.