Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Kuzi's cigar catalog

Comments

• Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Lasabar:
    Mmmmmm Kelner Musk...

It's kinda like when you notice a Stripper fart... Yeah it smells, but she's hot and you paid $20, so you ain't saying nuthin'
    Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp!
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    rwheelwright:
    Lasabar:
    Mmmmmm Kelner Musk...

It's kinda like when you notice a Stripper fart... Yeah it smells, but she's hot and you paid $20, so you ain't saying nuthin'
    Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp!
    lol, never heard that before, though maybe that's why music is so loud in strip clubs.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    iduno how often im going to do reviews. my motivation waxes and wains all the time for taking notes on cigars.
    i do know that my palate has changed a bit since i stopped reviewing, and so has my attitude for reviewing. in the past i would always try to make it as mechanical as i could. I took away the concept of how much a cigar cost and did the review on only how it tasted. I would try and review every cigar as an individual being, as if it was the first cigar i had ever smoked. i would review more on how pronounced the flavors were and less on if i liked them. i would review without looking up what to expect out of it and went out of my way to avoid the hype.

now i want things to be a bit more personal, and a bit more of what is going on in my head as i review.

in the real world, cost is a factor on if you like a cigar (is it worth $12? ). in the real world i have smoked many cigars and i compare them in my head and on paper. in the real world i know i dont like some flavors and i shouldnt rate it high just because its distinct. in the real world many people buy cigars based on hype.
    all of that should factor in. it should yield a better, more accessible review.

on that note....
  • Options

4-29-10 been in humi since 12-24-08

Gurkha Beast (6.5 x 58)
    Wrapper: Costa Rican Maduro
    Binder: Nicaraguan
    Filler: Dominican, Honduran, Columbian

This cigar is dark. In the humidor it was sitting between a 5 Vegas Series A and a Gurkha Titan. I’m only noting this because all three use a Costa Rican maduro wrapper, with Dominican and Honduran fillers. The titan is, as far as I can tell the same blend as the Beast but in a bit smaller vitola (6.2 x 56). All three of these cigars are about the same color. I’m not sure how they got next to each other.

The smell before it is cut is very barn yard. This seems to be typical out of many maduros that are this dark. The band is very hard to take off. A tiny bit of the wrapper comes off as I peel off the band. I hate that. Far too many cigars do that. The cedar and second band came off just fine. A lick on the cap has almost no flavor at all. there is just a hint of classic tobacco. Cut with my Xikar 007 punch. I find the draw a bit on the easy side and it brings with it a mild coffee and earth flavor.

The first puffs are slightly sweet and a hint of coffee. The finish is a tiny bit of spice. All of these flavors are a bit washed out. There is nothing that stands out at all. An underlying earth develops after a very short time but again it is not pronounced.

The cool temperatures of the smoke, in conjunction with the easy draw, give a very airy texture to the puffs.

The first ash is just after an inch. A bit of spice has entered the mix on the finish and is a bit long but not unfavorably so. The sweet has left but the cigar is not bitter. there is maybe a bit of coffee and cedar but again, nothing jumps out.

At the half way point the sweetness returns on an inconsistent basis. The draw is a bit too easy. The draw is so easy, and the flavors are so mild it is causing me to smoke fast, and this speed is probably what is causing the inconsistent sweet. The body is a medium-full but the flavor is mild-medium. The fast smoking to get flavor and full body are causing me to feel the cigar more so than I would otherwise.

The burn isn’t perfect but all problems with the burn seem to even themselves out quickly.

The last third finally has built up some flavor. It has rounded out and reminds me of how many Honduran cigars’ smoke feel in the mouth. It is earthy, coffee, slightly nutty, with a mild pepper on the finish. As the burn approaches where the band was the wrapper becomes a bit flakey.

The final puffs are consistent with the final third. Burn to the nub in 2 hours 15 minutes.

Part of the hype about this cigar is the size. It’s a big enough vitola that it’s called “Beast.” So as strange as this may sound, in my opinion this cigar would be better in a (much) smaller ring gauge. The flavors would not be as washed out.
    This cigar would have a better feel to it if it was about half the cost. IMHO that’s closer to what it is worth.
    This cigar would have also rated higher if the balance between the flavor and the body were better. That brought it down considerably.

Burn: 9
    Draw: 8
    Taste: 8
    Aftertaste: 9
    Balance: 7
    Construction: 8
    Feel: 7.5

Overall: 8.1

• Options
    nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    WOO HOO!! NEW REVIEWS!!

I really liked this review. I felt it touched on some of the exact things that go through my head too when enjoying a cigar.
    The vitola and how it effects the amount of flavor, smoke's texture/density of how it feels in your mouth and smoke-ability of the cigar and how they all mix and blend throughout the duration of the cigar.
    And how it compares as worth, in your eyes, versus cost.

Kuzi, as always, this was great!! I can't wait to see another new review!!
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I've had that a few times from the beast. Though other times and it would be most of the time I get a very flavorful smoke, but it always sucks when one of the sticks is how you described.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    good review good to see them back! I hope you enjoy them better this way.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Glad to see your reviews are back!
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    kuzi16:

4-29-10 been in humi since 12-24-08

Gurkha Beast (6.5 x 58)
    Wrapper: Costa Rican Maduro
    Filler: Dominican, Honduran, Columbian

This cigar is dark. In the humidor it was sitting between a 5 Vegas Series A and a Gurkha Titan. I’m only noting this because all three use a Costa Rican maduro wrapper, with Dominican and Honduran fillers. The titan is, as far as I can tell the same blend as the Beast but in a bit smaller vitola (6.2 x 56). All three of these cigars are about the same color. I’m not sure how they got next to each other.

The smell before it is cut is very barn yard. This seems to be typical out of many maduros that are this dark. The band is very hard to take off. A tiny bit of the wrapper comes off as I peel off the band. I hate that. Far too many cigars do that. The cedar and second band came off just fine. A lick on the cap has almost no flavor at all. there is just a hint of classic tobacco. Cut with my Xikar 007 punch. I find the draw a bit on the easy side and it brings with it a mild coffee and earth flavor.

The first puffs are slightly sweet and a hint of coffee. The finish is a tiny bit of spice. All of these flavors are a bit washed out. There is nothing that stands out at all. An underlying earth develops after a very short time but again it is not pronounced.

The cool temperatures of the smoke, in conjunction with the easy draw, give a very airy texture to the puffs.

The first ash is just after an inch. A bit of spice has entered the mix on the finish and is a bit long but not unfavorably so. The sweet has left but the cigar is not bitter. there is maybe a bit of coffee and cedar but again, nothing jumps out.

At the half way point the sweetness returns on an inconsistent basis. The draw is a bit too easy. The draw is so easy, and the flavors are so mild it is causing me to smoke fast, and this speed is probably what is causing the inconsistent sweet. The body is a medium-full but the flavor is mild-medium. The fast smoking to get flavor and full body are causing me to feel the cigar more so than I would otherwise.

The burn isn’t perfect but all problems with the burn seem to even themselves out quickly.

The last third finally has built up some flavor. It has rounded out and reminds me of how many Honduran cigars’ smoke feel in the mouth. It is earthy, coffee, slightly nutty, with a mild pepper on the finish. As the burn approaches where the band was the wrapper becomes a bit flakey.

The final puffs are consistent with the final third. Burn to the nub in 2 hours 15 minutes.

Part of the hype about this cigar is the size. It’s a big enough vitola that it’s called “Beast.” So as strange as this may sound, in my opinion this cigar would be better in a (much) smaller ring gauge. The flavors would not be as washed out.
    This cigar would have a better feel to it if it was about half the cost. IMHO that’s closer to what it is worth.
    This cigar would have also rated higher if the balance between the flavor and the body were better. That brought it down considerably.

Aftertaste: 9
    Feel: 7.5

Overall: 8.1

Review of the review:

Burn: 9.5
    Draw: 10
    Balance: 9
    Feel: 10
    Information: 10

Overall: 9.7
  • Options
    Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    +1 on review of review. Your a natural!
  • Options
    Dark Roast:
    +1 on review of review. Your a natural!
    this IS the best review of a review i have ever had.

i was thinking the balance was a bit off as well. ill have to have a bit more personal thoughts in my next one. good lookin out.
  • Options
    5-10-10 been in humi since 8-24-09
    Perdomo Habano Corojo Robusto (5x52)
    Wrapper Cuban seed Ecuadorian Grown Corojo
    Binder: Ecuador
    Filler: Ecuador

This cigar is a nice medium brown and feels slightly fuzzy. The majesty of the double band makes it look like it costs more than it does. The two bands are huge and that makes me worry that they were designed to cover up wrapper imperfections and inconsistencies.

The lick on the cap is light in flavor. The smell is barnyard in nature. Cut with a punch. The draw is classic tobacco and un-sweet tea.
    The first puffs are very woody and a bit of spice. Its almost the flavor you would find in a Nicaraguan cigar. As it settles from the light a roundness develops. There is still wood and spice, but with a bit of earth to balance it out.

About half an inch in the wrapper cracks a bit.
    At this point the flavor develops a vegetable flavor. It is a bit “green” in flavor. (not to be confused with “young,” rather, if the color “green” had a flavor to it)

The first ash is at ¾ of an inch and the flavor has not changed from before. The finish is spice and it is long but not overly so.

Every puff cracks the wrapper a bit more. Since I know the cigar is not over humidified, and the air is not too humid as I smoke I can only guess that it has to do with poor construction in conjunction with a corojo leaf (corojo leaves are notoriously thin)

At the half way point the flavor has not changed. The split moves as the burn moves. It is frustrating to watch.

The flavor is simple. With about 1/3 of left the spice starts to dwindle. The aftertaste becomes more earth and coffee leaving the cigar a bit unbalanced.

Burn to the nub.

Draw: 9
    Aftertaste: 8
    Construction: 7
    Feel: 8

Overall 8.0
  • Options
    5-14-10 been in humi since 12-24-09

Man O’ War Ruination Belicoso (5.7x 56)
    Wrapper: Nicaraguan
    Binder: Costa Rican
    Filler: Costa Rican, Honduran, Mexican

The cigar is dark and oily to the touch. It smells fairly light, maybe woody and earthy. The lick on the cap is a touch spicy. Cut with a double guillotine. The draw is firm but in a very good way. There is an earth flavor and a very light sour note while unlit.

The light is quick and notes of spice and wood with a nutty undertone appear first. As it develops the nutty flavor becomes earth and musk. If I didn’t know better I could say it was “Kelner musk” but I know Kelner did not blend this cigar. This musk changes quickly though. It is still a bit musky but not reminiscent of Kelner.

At the first ash, it continues with the sweet wood, musk and spice. The body is not as full as expected.

The half way point the flavor is consistent. The burn is even. The body is medium. Medium-full at best.

In the last third the draw becomes a bit difficult but a roll between the fingers fixes this. The sweetness is lost a bit to the heat. The finish becomes long and a bit too drawn out.

The cigar ends in the same way.

Burn to the nub
    Time: 1h 35min

Burn: 10

Overall: 8.6

The best way to describe this cigar is “average” or “uneventful”
    Its not a bad cigar, it just doesn’t “pop” to me.

• Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    hmmmm. I've smoked at least 10 of these, and never had a construction problem. That's weird. There's always bound to be a bad one though. Sorry that happened.
  • Options
    cholmes8310:
    hmmmm. I've smoked at least 10 of these, and never had a construction problem. That's weird. There's always bound to be a bad one though. Sorry that happened.
    its not your fault.

unless you sent it to me and you knew it was a bad one.

im also noticing that my reviews are becoming way more critical than they used to be. not sure if thats good or bad.
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    kuzi16:
    cholmes8310:
    its not your fault.

im also noticing that my reviews are becoming way more critical than they used to be. not sure if thats good or bad.
    Nah, I sent you the Relics. If those are crappy, you can blame me.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    cholmes8310:
    its not your fault.

I've also noticed that I am way more critical than I used to be. I find myself putting average cigars down early and lighting up another rather than struggle through a half-decent stick. I think part of this is just that I have way more cigars in my collection in comparison with last year, but part of it is just that I don't want to waste time on an "ok" cigar when I know I can enjoy a much better one.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    5-14-10 been in humi since 12-24-09

Man O’ War Ruination Belicoso (5.7x 56)
    Wrapper: Nicaraguan
    Binder: Costa Rican
    Filler: Costa Rican, Honduran, Mexican

The cigar is dark and oily to the touch. It smells fairly light, maybe woody and earthy. The lick on the cap is a touch spicy. Cut with a double guillotine. The draw is firm but in a very good way. There is an earth flavor and a very light sour note while unlit.

The light is quick and notes of spice and wood with a nutty undertone appear first. As it develops the nutty flavor becomes earth and musk. If I didn’t know better I could say it was “Kelner musk” but I know Kelner did not blend this cigar. This musk changes quickly though. It is still a bit musky but not reminiscent of Kelner.

At the first ash, it continues with the sweet wood, musk and spice. The body is not as full as expected.

The half way point the flavor is consistent. The burn is even. The body is medium. Medium-full at best.

In the last third the draw becomes a bit difficult but a roll between the fingers fixes this. The sweetness is lost a bit to the heat. The finish becomes long and a bit too drawn out.

The cigar ends in the same way.

Burn to the nub
    Time: 1h 35min

Burn: 10

Overall: 8.6

The best way to describe this cigar is “average” or “uneventful”
    Its not a bad cigar, it just doesn’t “pop” to me.

I've also noticed the body isn't as full as I initiallly expected. Not a bad thing but I feel this info. needs more attention because I think a lot of people are hesitant to try the Ruination based on it's reputation as an ultra full-bodied butt kicker.
  • Options
    bigharpoon:
    I've also noticed the body isn't as full as I initiallly expected. Not a bad thing but I feel this info. needs more attention because I think a lot of people are hesitant to try the Ruination based on it's reputation as an ultra full-bodied butt kicker.
    agreed.
    the original MoW was a bit more full in my opinion.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    bigharpoon:
    agreed.
    I had a similar experience with the torpedo. Then I tried the robusto #1. Much better, and stronger. I don't find them as strong as I once did, but I think it's more me just getting used to full bodied smokes over time.
  • Options
    Russ55:
    kuzi16:
    bigharpoon:
    agreed.
    I had a similar experience with the torpedo. Then I tried the robusto #1. Much better, and stronger. I don't find them as strong as I once did, but I think it's more me just getting used to full bodied smokes over time.
    but are they more complex?
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Russ55:
    kuzi16:
    bigharpoon:
    agreed.
    but are they more complex?
    Probably, but it's been a long time since I had the torpedo. I do remember a dramatic difference in the depth and quality of the flavor in the robusto.
  • Options
    5-20-10 been in humi since 5-1-10

Davidoff Millennium Series Petite Corona (4.5 x 41)
    Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sun Grown
    Binder: Dominican
    Filler: Dominican

The cigar is a darker brown. The Davidoff rep at the even where I bought this cigar said that this particular batch of Millenniums have had a darker wrapper than most. He was able to prove it by comparing to another Millennium.

The lick on the cap is slightly sour and has some spice to it. Cut with a double guillotine. The draw is perfect and has a creamy coco flavor to it.

The light is quick given the ring size. The first few puffs are very cedar with some spice to it. Only through the nose is the trademark Kelner musk noticeable.

By the first ash an earth tone develops on the finish. This is about the point where every Davidoff I have ever smoked begins to amaze me. Its not so much the flavor that is amazing, but rather how it makes my mouth water. The finish is long but seems to fade out at just the right moment. It fades as you are th inking of taking another puff. Though the flavors are not amazing in and of themselves, the way they interact together works perfectly.

By the half way point the cigar is sweeter than before. I wouldn’t go so far as to call it “sweet” but it is “sweeter” than the first half. The musk through the nose has settled down a bit as well.

By the last third the spice has become a bit more pronounced and the wood starts to stand out in the finish.

I doubted that any Davidoff was as full bodied as this one is. This is a medium bodied cigar and to some may come across as med-full. It is pleasant, relaxing, but not overpowering in any way.

The cigar ends with the smoke heating up a bit and the musk making a comeback.

Burn to the burn.
    Time: 1h 10min

Draw: 10
    Balance: 10
    Construction: 10
    Feel: 9

Overall: 9.1

Ive been on a bit of a Davidoff kick as of late. Out of the recent Davidoff cigars ive smoked (puro d’oro, thousand series, Winston Churchills, Millennium Series) this is the weakest of the lot. However, it is still a good cigar, and if you are not a huge fan of Kelner’s blending style, this Davidoff is the least representative of it.

• Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Have you found as you are progessing in your cigar palate profile that you are narrowing into what you like and dont like and smoking one of those as apposed to keeping a variety of smokes going?

Im finding myself reaching and searching for mainly sticks that I know I like, before venturing into new territory now a days.

• Options
    Fourtotheflush:
    Have you found as you are progessing in your cigar palate profile that you are narrowing into what you like and dont like and smoking one of those as apposed to keeping a variety of smokes going?

Im finding myself reaching and searching for mainly sticks that I know I like, before venturing into new territory now a days.

yes and no. i only buy what i know i like. however, i am very excited to get a cigar that i have not smoked in a PIF or whatever. this has always been the best way for me to try new stuff... some guy going "here try this. i like it. maybe you will"
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Fourtotheflush:

yes and no. i only buy what i know i like. however, i am very excited to get a cigar that i have not smoked in a PIF or whatever. this has always been the best way for me to try new stuff... some guy going "here try this. i like it. maybe you will"
    Yes, me too! I will buy a variety pack with some I know I like and some I want to try but buying 10 of something that's a roll of the dice...those days are gone. I trade and play games only a little bit and that still manages to provide a ton of diversity.
  • Options
    yes

i recently got to a point where i had no double in my humidor. thats all fine and good but someitmes i wanna be able to smoke a cigar and NOT have it be my last one. so... im smoking down the humi. once i get to -25 or -30 ill buy some... ill probably do a box split or two here. whatever.

ive also stopped playing some games because i ran out of room. i wasnt buying cigars anymore. i just kept accumulating them. sometimes i just wanna buy a box of AVO domaines damnit!
  • Options
    6-30-10 been in humidor since 12-24-09

Rocky Patel Decade Toro (6.5 x 52)
    Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sumatra
    Filler: Nicaraguan

The cigar has a decent presentation. A few veins are visible but they are not raised in any way. The bouquet is a bit of straw. There is a soft spot about an inch in from the foot. The lick on the cap is oily and has a tiny bit of spice to it. Cut with a punch. The draw is a tiny bit loose and has a taste of coco and coffee.

The light seems a bit quick. The first few puffs are mild in flavor. The flavor is coffe and a woody. There is a bitter note on the finish. The spice that is in this stick is very Nicaraguan.

The first ash drops at the very beginning of the soft spot. Shortly after that one side burns very quickly. The other side does not. After corrective actions were taken (corrective light) another run on a different side begins. It’s a frustrating start.

After all the shenanigans, a subtle sweetness develops. It is very mild and otherwise the flavor is much of the same. The aftertaste has become a bit “ashy”

The blending style of the company is coming through. This cigar along with the vintage 90 and 92 exemplify this style. This cigar reminds me of a less complex version of the 92. The wood and spice are there. Neither flavors are pronounced but at the same time they are the only flavors I get out of it.

At the mid point the flavor is the same.

The biggest positive is the balance. There is nothing that stands out too much, or that feels out of place. The body is medium, so is the flavor. It is so balanced it feels almost neutral. It doesn’t feel bold or daring or new. It is the epitome of RP cigars. Not bad, but not great.

13/ left and there are burn issues again. The flavor is the same.

Burn to the band.

Burn: 7
    Feel: 7

Overall: 7.7

I really wanted to like this cigar. The hype was there. I don’t know many that don’t like this cigar. Most people seem to like Rocky Patel more than I do. I never seemed to like many of RP’s blends and the blending style they employ. This to me was another unremarkable RP that is not worth the money.

to each his/her own.
  • Options
    When the Decade first came out, I loved them. But I swear the last 4 or 5 I've smoked were just boring as all can be. I traded away my last few I had left and will definitely not be purchasing any more Decades. And as you stated, most of the RP blends are just not my thing. There are a few I enjoy, but so so many more that are just not good.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    6-30-10 been in humidor since 12-24-09

Rocky Patel Decade Toro (6.5 x 52)
    Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sumatra
    Filler: Nicaraguan

The cigar has a decent presentation. A few veins are visible but they are not raised in any way. The bouquet is a bit of straw. There is a soft spot about an inch in from the foot. The lick on the cap is oily and has a tiny bit of spice to it. Cut with a punch. The draw is a tiny bit loose and has a taste of coco and coffee.

The light seems a bit quick. The first few puffs are mild in flavor. The flavor is coffe and a woody. There is a bitter note on the finish. The spice that is in this stick is very Nicaraguan.

The first ash drops at the very beginning of the soft spot. Shortly after that one side burns very quickly. The other side does not. After corrective actions were taken (corrective light) another run on a different side begins. It’s a frustrating start.

After all the shenanigans, a subtle sweetness develops. It is very mild and otherwise the flavor is much of the same. The aftertaste has become a bit “ashy”

The blending style of the company is coming through. This cigar along with the vintage 90 and 92 exemplify this style. This cigar reminds me of a less complex version of the 92. The wood and spice are there. Neither flavors are pronounced but at the same time they are the only flavors I get out of it.

At the mid point the flavor is the same.

The biggest positive is the balance. There is nothing that stands out too much, or that feels out of place. The body is medium, so is the flavor. It is so balanced it feels almost neutral. It doesn’t feel bold or daring or new. It is the epitome of RP cigars. Not bad, but not great.

13/ left and there are burn issues again. The flavor is the same.

Burn to the band.

Burn: 7
    Feel: 7

Overall: 7.7

I really wanted to like this cigar. The hype was there. I don’t know many that don’t like this cigar. Most people seem to like Rocky Patel more than I do. I never seemed to like many of RP’s blends and the blending style they employ. This to me was another unremarkable RP that is not worth the money.

to each his/her own.
    Wow, I'm surprised you smoked a RP knowing that they aren't your thing...I have tried all the sizes in the Decade, and IMO, the Torpedo is the best. If you ever give this smoke another try, get a torpedo. I don't know why, but it is ALOT better than the toro...robo...etc.

"Long ashes my friends."