Home General Discussion
Options

Why I don't Use Apple

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
Okay so I know there are a few people on here who use them and I am not bashing anyone or endorsing any one OS. Okay now onto the point...
http://www.apple.com/legal/privacy/
Apparently Apple's new Iphone 4 (not a 4g product mind you) has a new privacy issue, they can/will sell information including where you are and what you are doing.

This is amid the other issues plaguing Apple as of late.. That being not using Flash, providing control on what apps you can "buy" and what is appropriate on what you can "buy" for your phone. They've already taken off and then blacked out comics online. They have no opensource for their stuff, meaning you can only use "certified" apple products so your only allowed what Steve wants you to have (meaning what you can buy). They also have had a lot of security issues with the iphones and leopard os. I've had many jobs where I had to fix peoples MACS due to this. There was a story a while back about how it took some some-what skilled hackers about 10 minutes to break into leopard but over an hour to break into Vista.
I think the iphone is cool, though I don't like the massive amount of control that apple puts on it's products. I hate At&T and think their service sucks and I think it is very poor taste to make people buy something then block them on putting open source products on their "bought" device. I only use Linyx and I do like my Vista 64 bit main computer. I do have problems with everything out there, nothing is perfect but at least I have the option of putting something on my devices that aren't certified (whatever the os is). Just a thought, I wanted to put it out there for you apple buffs.

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    this is almost the EXACT reason why i dont use Apple too.
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Eff Apple. They're always advertising about how they're better than Windows and how Apple users are cooler than PC users, too. In fact, all they're getting is a toy with Steve Jobs constantly telling you not to use it.
  • Options
    Here's another interesting story about how they tried hiding a security patch>>>>
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/21/apple_security_update/
    btw I can post some bs about microsoft too I just don't have that much beef with them as they don't really limit me on what I can't do. Most all the software on my computers are freeware or are things I made myself.
  • Options
    oh crap I put this in the wrong forum... doh!!!! I mean iphones need a cigar inventory app!!! hehe..
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    We are currently tesing MACs to roll out in the Army. I can't go into detail but as of now they do not work in an enterprise environment and do not meet that requirements but there are a few people here that are pushing for them. I have one on my desk now but it is not on the network.
  • Options
    Why? Like I said they are so locked down on what they can do. Oh well I guess the DoD needs to spend more money so why not go to apple, they cost more. Which I might add if they went with something other than dell then they might get good computers!!! lol.
  • Options
    I can't get into why... As for Dell, we can get a bunch of different brands. I personally like the Dells that we use. I find that most of our issues here are with the custom software configs given to us. II find the 755 - 780s solid PCs and foe 4300 and 6500 solid laptops.
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    rwheelwright:
    We are currently tesing MACs to roll out in the Army. I can't go into detail but as of now they do not work in an enterprise environment and do not meet that requirements but there are a few people here that are pushing for them. I have one on my desk now but it is not on the network.
    God...if I have to use an Apple computer for work, Imma punch a baby in the mouth.
  • Options
    wwhwang:
    rwheelwright:
    God...if I have to use an Apple computer for work, Imma punch a baby in the mouth.
    lol..
    Wheelie, I didn't know you were in the "know" for dod?
  • Options
    Only because there are a few people here who want them and I happen to support those people. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm always more than happy to leanr new things and add to my experience and knowledge but the fact that MACs are not geared towards the enterprise is going to make this difficult.
  • Options
    Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    rwheelwright:
    I can't get into why... As for Dell, we can get a bunch of different brands. I personally like the Dells that we use. I find that most of our issues here are with the custom software configs given to us. II find the 755 - 780s solid PCs and foe 4300 and 6500 solid laptops.
    From that first sentence, you entered into a new level of badassery
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Wow lota apple hate. Can't say I saw that coming.
    The reason I like Mac's is because I'm an audio engineer by trade.
    When I first started, configuring Protools and other DAWs to work on a windows system was damn near impossible.
    Then it got better, and then Vista and it was back to square one.
    After that I just said f it and went with apple.

• Options
    Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    i believe apple is good for some things...such as programming, or for music/video editing, etc....but i had a iphone and it was limited on what it could do...also had a macbook...and never again will i cuz i dont do any editing of any sort.... oh and pics are up for the cigar for troops guys under the trade section
  • Options
    GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Posts: 474
    I've always used PC so I'm kinda biased against Mac in the sense that I don't know it. If someone gave me a Mac for free though - I'd learn it like it's going out of style - and then have a real opinion on whether I liked it or not.
  • Options
    Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    I am a Mac aholic.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibal:
    When I first started, configuring Protools and other DAWs to work on a windows system was damn near impossible.

I dunno dude, windows is only as good as the gear you use. Vista is far from square one. Actually vista is the best operating system they've ever put out. You just need to know how to work it. Win 7 isn't bad but I do prefer Vista. But hey, I'm glad apple works for you and I really don't know much about audio stuff beyond music and video encoding and decrypting. I'm curios though what/why did you have problems with it and how did going to Apple make it easier?
    Thing about windows is that most people (I'm generalizing I know but I run into it so much) buy the dell computer or the cheap hp at best buy or walmart then complain about it. Well wtf? You bought a computer for 300 bucks, what do you expect. I see it with Apple too. I had a customer on saturday who bought a 3500 apple and I mean the design was pretty and I do like the look of leopard but damn, 3500 bucks! I built my rig for 4300 and it's a fracking sweet machine but I told this guy I could have built him a computer for about half and it would perform much better. I think if Apple opened up it's OS and devices than I would change my tune. That's really my only beef and the fact that apple fan-tards are so uppity. Not saying you fall into that category but I have friends who do. I constantly give them ***, but you know.
    Then again I get crap for liking Vista from my other friends when they all use a lynx based OS. I dunno my thing is I like to buy something and have options. It's why I bought a zune, not an Ipod. They look better and I have more options.
  • Options
    GentlemanGentleman Posts: 152
    IT geek here. I prefer PC over Mac any day. I'm leaving before I get out of hand. Also, iPods are cool.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    stephen_hannibal:

I dunno dude, windows is only as good as the gear you use. Vista is far from square one. Actually vista is the best operating system they've ever put out. You just need to know how to work it. Win 7 isn't bad but I do prefer Vista. But hey, I'm glad apple works for you and I really don't know much about audio stuff beyond music and video encoding and decrypting. I'm curios though what/why did you have problems with it and how did going to Apple make it easier?
    Thing about windows is that most people (I'm generalizing I know but I run into it so much) buy the dell computer or the cheap hp at best buy or walmart then complain about it. Well wtf? You bought a computer for 300 bucks, what do you expect. I see it with Apple too. I had a customer on saturday who bought a 3500 apple and I mean the design was pretty and I do like the look of leopard but damn, 3500 bucks! I built my rig for 4300 and it's a fracking sweet machine but I told this guy I could have built him a computer for about half and it would perform much better. I think if Apple opened up it's OS and devices than I would change my tune. That's really my only beef and the fact that apple fan-tards are so uppity. Not saying you fall into that category but I have friends who do. I constantly give them ***, but you know.
    Then again I get crap for liking Vista from my other friends when they all use a lynx based OS. I dunno my thing is I like to buy something and have options. It's why I bought a zune, not an Ipod. They look better and I have more options.
    I built myself a PC about 3 - 4 years ago. Forget how much I paid. I was running Vista 32 with 2GB ram. I decided to upgrade. Went with 8GB ram, 6 HDDs and a Quad 2.4. I had a duo 1.86 and 4 500GB drives in raid-5. I put in 2 150GB Velociraptors in raid-1 and 4 500GB RE2 drives in Raid-5. Other than a problem with my onboard raid controller everything works. Oh and I'm running Vista 64 now. The problem I have is that if I leave my computer on long enough it says the mirror failed. All I do is click on the drive in the management software and click set as normal and it rebuilds in about 30 minutes and all is fine again. I had problems like this before I put thise drives in. I would put an add-in card in but I don't have the PCI-E 4X slot. But aside from all of that, it works and works well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then there is my server that I bought from dell. It was $4300 but I got it for $3000. It has dual quad core 2.66 xeons, 8GB memory upgradeable to 48GB and I got 3 750GB drives in Raid-5. I could put in up to 8 drives. It has add-in raid, dual PSUs, dual NICs, etc... The only thing I don't like is the 8MB video but hey, what the hell it's a server! Oh and it runs 2008 64. I bought this to replace all of my old and aging PCs like some 233s, 333s, 500, 800, dual P3 450, etc... Now, I can run all in virtual machines. And... It just works!
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    Okay so I know there are a few people on here who use them and I am not bashing anyone or endorsing any one OS. Okay now onto the point...
    http://www.apple.com/legal/privacy/
    Apparently Apple's new Iphone 4 (not a 4g product mind you) has a new privacy issue, they can/will sell information including where you are and what you are doing.

This is amid the other issues plaguing Apple as of late.. That being not using Flash, providing control on what apps you can "buy" and what is appropriate on what you can "buy" for your phone. They've already taken off and then blacked out comics online. They have no opensource for their stuff, meaning you can only use "certified" apple products so your only allowed what Steve wants you to have (meaning what you can buy). They also have had a lot of security issues with the iphones and leopard os. I've had many jobs where I had to fix peoples MACS due to this. There was a story a while back about how it took some some-what skilled hackers about 10 minutes to break into leopard but over an hour to break into Vista.
    I think the iphone is cool, though I don't like the massive amount of control that apple puts on it's products. I hate At&T and think their service sucks and I think it is very poor taste to make people buy something then block them on putting open source products on their "bought" device. I only use Linyx and I do like my Vista 64 bit main computer. I do have problems with everything out there, nothing is perfect but at least I have the option of putting something on my devices that aren't certified (whatever the os is). Just a thought, I wanted to put it out there for you apple buffs.
    I'm an avid Iphone user, and just upgraded my 3G to 4.0 yesterday morning. After the upgrade, my emails no longer sync to my Iphone. I have to HAVE my emails due to my job and all, and Apple didn't seem to give a ***. I went over to the Apple store today, cuz basically I was out of options and the guy was no help (big surprise). He then said I could make an appointment with the "Genius Bar" I literally laughed in his face and told him thanks, but no thanks...and that the two guys I work with have more knowledge about the iPhone in there left pinky than all those "Geniuses" behind the counter. You should have seen the look on his face. Lesson learned here: Don't ever install anything from Apple that has a .0 after the version number.

"Long ashes my friends."