Home General Discussion

Looking 4

I'm searching for cigars made w/ a strain of tobaco called" Pelo De Oro",do any of u know of this.

Comments

• sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    My Father Le Bijou uses a Pelo de Oro wrapper. Don't mean to plug, but I did a review of the cigar:

http://wbfiller.com/my-father-le-bijou-1922-petite-robusto-cigar-review-by-tony-yan/
  • jet057jet057 Posts: 30
    Why thank u,i will check this out.On page 42 of my aug. copy of C.C there is where i read about this tobacco brought in from Cuba nearly 50 yrs ago.I really,really want to try some hombre..thanks
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    No worries. Felipe Gregorio also makes a Pelo de Oro cigar called....Pelo de Oro.

More info on the tobacco: http://tobacconistuniversity.org/glossary.asp#355
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    jet057:
    Why thank u,i will check this out.On page 42 of my aug. copy of C.C there is where i read about this tobacco brought in from Cuba nearly 50 yrs ago.I really,really want to try some hombre..thanks
    Well, technically, every strain of tobacco is derived from one of two original cuban tobacco plants (can't remember name - kuzi would know more).

Anyway, when the cuban revolution started and castro took over, a lot of the cigar rollers and growers fled cuba, but not before they stuffed their pockets full of cuban tobacco seeds. Today, the stuff that's grown in Nicaragu, Honduras, Dominican, etc - a lot, if not most, of it is the same seeds that were smuggled out of cuba. The only difference between the cuban cigars and the current ones, is the soil/climate conditions that give cuban cigars their trademark peppers/strength.

If you've been wanting to try a "legal cuban" tobacco, chances are, you've been smoking it all along every time you light up a Nicaraguan.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I could be wrong and do not claim to be an expert on any of this but I thought all tobacco we smoke today came from the original corojo and criollo tobacco from Cuba.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    fla-gypsy:
    I could be wrong and do not claim to be an expert on any of this but I thought all tobacco we smoke today came from the original corojo and criollo tobacco from Cuba.
    you are right.

this is just another variation of it.

kinda like "connecticut shade"
    those seeds can be planted in other countries and it will be called "connecticut seed"
  • jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    kuzi16:
    fla-gypsy:
    you are right.

this is just another variation of it.

kinda like "connecticut shade"
    those seeds can be planted in other countries and it will be called "connecticut seed"
    So the only place there has ever been natural tobacco good enough for cigars was cuba? I would of thought that some other country would of had some decent leaf natural to there country
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    a few do. but the VAST VAST majority is all derived from cuban tobacco at some point or another. seeds got imported or exported, selected for this trait or that trait...

there are other strains of tobacco, but they are grown for pipes, cigarettes, ow various forms of chewing...

cigars really did develop out of that region. it doesnt surprise me too much...
  • jet057jet057 Posts: 30
    A bump on this please...thanks
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Nestor Miranda Art Deco
    Litto Gomez Small Batch #4
    Tatauje La Verite 20009
    My Father LE

A little google goes a long way... FYI, Henke uses it as well
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    jet057:
    A bump on this please...thanks
    You've got to be the all-time greatest economy poster. Stuck around 3 years and managed to post about 10 per year. That's impressive.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.