What Brought YOU To Cigar.Com?

2»

Comments

• Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Yo sup?

• Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    The short answer, smoker first, ccom customer second, and forum member only recently. And I found out about them from a ridiculously old school Ccom catalog after years of crappy service elsewhere.

I'm long winded, so here goes the long version . . . .

8 or so years ago when I started smoking cigars pretty casually, I used to buy from a local B&M in San Diego, and smoked what I bought right away, becuase humidors we're way too expensive. I also thought they pushed their house blends a little too hard and everything was marked up a little too much for me. I'm sure there was a reason, but I just wasn't into it. So, I did what most people do and found an online retailer and I moved most of my cigar ordering online to save some cash. Obviously the site that I ordered from started sending me their catalogs, and I thought that was what it was all about. Even though half the cigars in their catalog were crappy house blends and the service stunk, I got used to it. Then one day, a Ccom catlog showed up in my mailbox. (Probably back in 2003?? or 2004??). It was tiny and looked like it was printed on some 8.5 x 11 photo paper, stapled in the middle and folded in half. probably had only about 10 pages in it printed on 5 sheets of paper, but I was impressed by the selection and the prices. So I kept it hanging around.

Then one day I finally got sick of getting dried out or damaged cigars, being called on nights and weekends to join up to their stupid clubs or incentive programs, and reading the same catalog every month thats half filled with crappy house blends. So, I picked up that old ccom catalog, hopped online checked the website and made my first order here probably 4 years ago. Never went back. The selection and the freshness we're all the customer service I needed. Then a while back Tim emailed me and I started making my purchases via email directly with him, and its so much more personal, and I'll never order from another site again. I'll occassionally check out a B&M near my house, in northern california now but Ccom is now basically my local B&M that just happens to be online.

As for the forum . . . I used to read it to get input on cigars I hadn't tried and general industry news and then last month me and a buddy of mine finally joined up. So even though I'm a new forum member I feel like its already helped me learn a ton about cigars.
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Google did.....lol
  • Options
    sppd81sppd81 Posts: 26
    Google. I was a very casual cigar smoker and was looking to pick up a few to keep around the house. I googled cigars and checked out several sites. CCom was the most user friendly site and the prices were ridiculously low. Made my first purchase with them and haven't even thought about going to another site for my sticks. As for the forums, I lurked for a few months, reading what others had to say about everything from seasoning a humi, to favorite sticks and reviews. Just recently have I actually started posting. IMHO CCom has the best cigar related site out there.
  • Options
    LeftFiveLeftFive Posts: 184 ✭✭
    I got a random catalog in the mail.
    I was a greenhorn; I'd smoked cigars before and liked them, but never considered taking it on as a full-time hobby. I'd quit smoking cigarettes 5 years or so before that. I consider them separate entities, even if some of my still-smoking friends consider it falling off the wagon.
    That first magazine was amazing, and I still love getting them in the mail, even if I feel a bit guilty having stacks of duplicates from orders. Whoever designs the catalogs does a great job, they're very slick and well put together.

I bought first and joined the forums very shortly thereafter, the wealth of information here can't be matched anywhere else. My first order was a daily deal of 5 Graycliff 1666 presidentes, A three stick Padilla sampler (Miami, Habano, and Series '68) and the Ccom cutter. I still remember how great they all smelled and how excited I was.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I came to Cigar.com because I like tator tots.
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    I did a search about 3 years ago for cigars and cigar.com was one of the top links. I ordered because I noticed that the price was much better than the B&M I had frequented. I was also looking to try better than average sticks. I also liked the sampler packs of higher end brands. I now work with Tim and he is great, always helping me get great prices and free shipping. The sticks arrive quickly and humidified properly. The customer service is always top notch. I agree I love the catalogs also, great work. The funny thing is I have been here for years but am new on the forum. -John
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    ShotgunJohn:
    I did a search about 3 years ago for cigars and cigar.com was one of the top links. I ordered because I noticed that the price was much better than the B&M I had frequented. I was also looking to try better than average sticks. I also liked the sampler packs of higher end brands. I now work with Tim and he is great, always helping me get great prices and free shipping. The sticks arrive quickly and humidified properly. The customer service is always top notch. I agree I love the catalogs also, great work. The funny thing is I have been here for years but am new on the forum. -John
    Nice, another WA BORK. Greetings from Seattle.
  • Options
    smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Google..i had searched for free cigar forums and after looking around on the site for a few minutes I knew I had to sign up. Can you believe other cigar sites make you pay to join?? Glad I found cigar.com...the brothers on here are great.
  • Options
    I also like chicken pot pies.
  • Options
    Pacman84Pacman84 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A good buddy of mine from PA got me into cigars and told me about ccom. They have the best customer service and that is why the always get my dinero!
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LeftFive:
    I got a random catalog in the mail.
    I was a greenhorn; I'd smoked cigars before and liked them, but never considered taking it on as a full-time hobby. I'd quit smoking cigarettes 5 years or so before that. I consider them separate entities, even if some of my still-smoking friends consider it falling off the wagon.
    That first magazine was amazing, and I still love getting them in the mail, even if I feel a bit guilty having stacks of duplicates from orders. Whoever designs the catalogs does a great job, they're very slick and well put together.

I bought first and joined the forums very shortly thereafter, the wealth of information here can't be matched anywhere else. My first order was a daily deal of 5 Graycliff 1666 presidentes, A three stick Padilla sampler (Miami, Habano, and Series '68) and the Ccom cutter. I still remember how great they all smelled and how excited I was.
    My wife quit smoking 12 years ago. She now smokes cigars with me and has become quite adept at knowing what's good and bad. Neither of us considers it falling off the wagon. They are indeed two different entities!

• Options
    jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    I stareted getting into the collecting of cigars a few years back and googled the site I followed the forums for a while and saw what a gret bunch of guys were here and the rest is history
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I was just getting into cigars, and a friend of mine told me he bought here occasionally and was telling me about the 5 Vegas line. So I placed a small order of some singles. Got the order a few days later and it I opened it up and the humi pillow had burst and messed up some of the sticks. I sent and email and they took care of it. It was really quick, and no hassle. A few weeks later I got an email from Tim, it was a "Hey, don't forget about us, I will hook you up" kind of email. I started ordering from him, and the rest is history.
  • Options
    Seriously, I found this when doing a search for cigars. I liked the forum section and liked how small and friendly it was. Everyone was really helpful and I jumped right in.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    How I found this place isnt important to me, its why I keep coming back! Great bunch of knowlegable borks!
  • Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    I was smoking cigars long before I ordered from Ccom. How I found out about Ccom was through Tat6. I ordered first and then Phil kept telling me about how this forum was different then all of the others out there. It was hard for me to believe until one day he was talking about the games, passes, bombs etc. I decided to check it out and now my spare time and bank account are cursing Phil!

Seriously a great group here that have helped me develop my palate and knowledge of cigars. It has changed my cigar smoking to ends that I can not explain. I have tried things I never thought I would have tried (cigars). Met many of you, which led to making great friends. It helped me get into the cigar biz. It has brought my dad and I closer. I'm glad that I found this site and all of the BORK's on here.

Why do I come back? The prices and customer service that is like ordering from a friend. The wealth of knowledge and the endless laughs I get. No better place on the internet that I have found.