Home Trades, Passes and Bombs

Looking for interest CCom book club

With the weather getting cold in northern Illinois, I'll be spending more time indoors. To pass the time, I like to read a good book. I was thinking it might be fun to pass books back and forth once we finish them. Right now I would just like to know if anyone else is interested. I think there should be a post at the start of the forum that we all edit to say what books are available to pass. Next to the book title you put your screen name so anyone that wants the book can PM you. Make sure you make it clear if you want your book back at some point or if it's OK to just pass around. We can chat about the books on the thread. No spoilers on the thread - PMs only! Of course whilst I'm sending you that book, might as well toss a couple sticks in there too. Any thoughts?

Comments

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I think Kuzi had started a book club back in the day, sounds like fun to do it again

"Long ashes my friends."

• robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    I tend to do a lot of reading... but I have a pretty good queue going here... I have some stuff I could send out but it would be about a year before I checked anything out...

so when we get the thread up, i'll list some stuff I have available for borrow... so in a halfway sense, I'M IN!
  • docedwardsdocedwards Posts: 319
    Maybe we could throw in a bottle of single malt with the book and cigars? And on a book-related note, does anyone have a Kindle? Been worth the money? Any problems?
    docedwards:
    Maybe we could throw in a bottle of single malt with the book and cigars? And on a book-related note, does anyone have a Kindle? Been worth the money? Any problems?
    I test drove one for a week and it was fine... I just like turning pages... I like picking up a book and seeing that I have 500 pages down and 175 to go, ya know? and in my old age, I am coming around on hard cover books... I used to avoid them completely, but now I kinda like a heavier book... it's more manly...
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    I'd be interested in this. I'll be switching shifts to midnights next month, so I'll be reading like a mad man.

I can't bring myself to do the Kindle or the Nook. I'm a purist when it comes to most things. It just seems like sacrilege. People have died to preserve the written word. I'm not going to encourage the phasing out of it.....
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    I would be interested in this.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Considering my library is quite literally the largest thing I ever move, I have plenty of books that I could toss into this pass. I would have to delay my participation for a little while, as my books are currently packed up getting ready to move, and I won't be into my new place till the 1st of the year, but come then, I'd be WAY down for this. I plan on picking up a LOT more reading come the New Year, so bring it on!
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
    BUMP - any other interest here?

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
    If you want to start this, I just finished The Given Day by Dennis Lehane if anyone wants it, PM me...... Great book BTW.....
  • ljlljl Posts: 819
    I'm planning on getting this rolling after the holidays. One less thing to think about until then. I should have a couple books finished by that time too.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    Time to start reading more.
  • SmokySuitSmokySuit Posts: 429
    Count me in, if newbs are allowed
    Bump. Don't want this one forgotten about.... I'm pretty excited for this one.
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    I would like to try this because I feel like I need to read more. Reading is one of those funny things that I really enjoy when I do it but I have a hard time picking a book out.
    I'm going to give my "library" a once over tonight and I'll list time titles that I can lend out...
    robbyras:
    I'm going to give my "library" a once over tonight and I'll list time titles that I can lend out...
    Good idea..... I'll do the same this week.
    OK... Here are some titles I have to loan out:

Stephen King - The Dark Tower 1-7, The Shinning, IT and Salem's Lot (My favorite single King Novel)
    I am Legend - Richard Matheson
    Bourne Trilogy - Ludlum
    George R.R. Martin - Song of Fire and Ice 1-4
    The Terror - Dan Simmons
    Brave New World - Huxley
    Dracula, Frankenstein, Dr Jeckel- single volume
    In Cold Blood - Capote
    Black, Red - Ted Dekker
    The Road - Corman McCarthy

Graphic Novels:
    Batman - The Long Halloween, Dark Victory and Year 1

I have more floating around, but this is all readily available...
    robbyras:

Stephen King - The Dark Tower 1-7, The Shinning, IT and Salem's Lot (My favorite single King Novel)
    Bourne Trilogy - Ludlum
    The Terror - Dan Simmons
    Brave New World - Huxley
    In Cold Blood - Capote
    Black, Red - Ted Dekker

Graphic Novels:

Oooo oooo!!! I'll take Song of Fire and Ice 1-4!!!!

ljl, are we starting this yet??? Don't wanna step on any toes..... I'll post up some books later this week. Gotta dig through the closet. I moved in Sep, so a lot of my books are still packed away.
    lilwing88:
    robbyras:

Bourne Trilogy - Ludlum
    The Terror - Dan Simmons
    Brave New World - Huxley
    In Cold Blood - Capote
    Black, Red - Ted Dekker

Graphic Novels:

ljl, are we starting this yet??? Don't wanna step on any toes..... I'll post up some books later this week. Gotta dig through the closet. I moved in Sep, so a lot of my books are still packed away.
    I have no problem sending them out... do you mind if I just send 2 books at a time though? the first 2 are 800 and 960 pages respectively... so I imagine they might take a little while...

I'm not sure what the rules are for this pass, but I do want these back... let me know and I'll fire them away... with a few stick of course... I probably won't be checking a book out from anyone for a while... I'm knee deep in the series I am currently reading...
    robbyras:
    lilwing88:
    robbyras:

Bourne Trilogy - Ludlum
    The Terror - Dan Simmons
    Brave New World - Huxley
    In Cold Blood - Capote
    Black, Red - Ted Dekker

Graphic Novels:

I have no problem sending them out... do you mind if I just send 2 books at a time though? the first 2 are 800 and 960 pages respectively... so I imagine they might take a little while...

I'm not sure what the rules are for this pass, but I do want these back... let me know and I'll fire them away... with a few stick of course... I probably won't be checking a book out from anyone for a while... I'm knee deep in the series I am currently reading...
    You can just send one at a time if you want. Whatever's cool for you. I'll post up some of my books later. And, of course, mine will be sent out with sticks too......
    Damn you Marty! lol I was gonna snag the SOFAI novels... read too late. It'll still be a couple weeks before I'm able to inventory my books, as they're all boxed up right now till I move into my new apartment, but to give you guys an idea of what I'll be working with:
    Photobucket

There's two more full bookcases, other than the two complete ones you see there. Barring any of my valuable/rare books (yet another hobby of mine), any of those are up for borrowing.

lilwing88:
    robbyras:
    lilwing88:
    robbyras:

Bourne Trilogy - Ludlum
    The Terror - Dan Simmons
    Brave New World - Huxley
    In Cold Blood - Capote
    Black, Red - Ted Dekker

Graphic Novels:

You can just send one at a time if you want. Whatever's cool for you. I'll post up some of my books later. And, of course, mine will be sent out with sticks too......
    PM me your info (no idea why I don't save these) and I'll get the first 2 books out to you... it's a great series...