Home General Discussion
Options

Thoughts on this offer?

Closed, thanks for looking

Comments

• Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Nico... where did this list come from? Who is this person? Are they a member or selling these somewhere else? Please post more info. bro'.
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    My first...and main thought....are to be DAMN sure you know its reliable.
  • Options
    nikostewartnikostewart Posts: 451
    That was my first thought also, Someone is selling these on craigslist in my area. Unfortunately you never know how reliable sales on craigslist are.
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Unless you have experience spotting fakes or can bring someone with experience spotting fakes, pass...
  • Options
    lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    I think the hardest part on making sure these are legit is the fact that he/she said that they all have 10 years of age on them. Seals and packages changed alot in 10 years. I have seen good deals before but if these are legit, I would grab some of those.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Diamondog:
    Unless you have experience spotting fakes or can bring someone with experience spotting fakes, pass...
    this was my thought as well but these are some of the less copied sticks. if it were Cohiba and Monte only I would be more worried.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    if it seems to good to be true.....

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    if it seems to good to be true.....
    +1,000,000
  • Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    Becareful using craigslist not only could you be dealing with someone who is trying to sell you a bogus product but there are people out there getting robbed and worse when they show up to check out the products.
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    What little I know about CCs, those seem a bit pricey. Especially considering the risk factor......
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Could always be cops trying to nail some BOTL. +1 to what Krieg already said
  • Options
    ellinasellinas Posts: 329
    i wouldnt take them. some of those are over priced...
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I really couldn't afford to buy these even if I wanted to, but was interested in what everyone thought of buying something like this.
  • Options
    jakevtjakevt Posts: 10
    Frankly the prices are fairly high - also consider that cigars from 00-02 are the worst in recent memory for isoms. 
  • Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    nikostewart:
    I don't think i will be purchasing anything from this list but thought i should post it if anyone is interested in any of these. Thoughts?

Offered: Fine collection of authentic - aged - ISOM cigars. The cigars are in perfect condition, stored in their original boxes in a custom built humidor. They are an exceptionallygood variety of sizes and flavor profiles, the result of painstakingly searching for quality boxes at various authorized shops in ISOM (some with the help of key contacts - some just plain luck).And they are 10 years old!Check out the list below for the quantity available, and the each & lot prices I’m asking.If you’re interested in the whole ‘lot’, feel free to make an offer.As a group these cigars make an outstanding addition to any cigar enthusiast’s humidor.Note: I’m NOT offering my entire collection, so some lots will not come with the box. (But we can talk about it.)

Bolivar Belicoso Fino CabinetPyramid 7/6/2001 OSU 5@$20 $100
    Bolivar Royal Corona Robusto 2/28/2000 CLO 5@$20 $100
    Cohiba Esplendido Churchill 12/15/2004 PEL 9@$25 $200
    Cohiba Edicion Limitada 2002PiramidePyramid1/19/2003 5@$30 $150
    Hoyo De Monterrey ParticularesA 11/27/2002 RPO 5@$35 $150
    Partagas 155 AnniversaryChurchill 12/9/2000 PAR 5@$50 $200
    Partagas Edicion Limitada 2001PiramidePyramid7/5/2001 PAR 10@$25 $225
    Partagas X I AnniversarioDiademasDiademas11/27/2002 PAR 10@$50 $450
    PunchPunch CabinetCorona Gorda 12/9/2000 RSE 10@$15 $125
    Ramon Allones8-9-8 (varnished Box)Lonsdale12/9/2000 OSU 10@$20 $175
    Ramon AllonesGigantesDouble Corona7/5/2001 VEL 10@$20 $175
    Ramon AllonesSpecially Select 12/00Robusto12/9/2000 EOG SEP00 25@$15 $325
    Romeo Y Julieta Ed. Limitada 2002 RobustoRobusto 11/29/2002 ARA AGO02 25@$20 $425
    Sancho PanzaBelicoso 12/00Pyramid 12/9/2000 ARA 10@$20 4175

Hmmm Seems these to good to be true deals are popping up everywhere..... Batch No.? Im telling you better know what the hell your doing throwing around that kind of jack , there are all kinds of thefts and bodus crap going out there... the other thing i Questions is this
    WHY WOULD YOU POST THIS LIST OF ILLEGAL CIGARS ON A WORLD WIDE CIGAR COMPANY WEB SITE? Im JUST SAYINF THATS NOT TO SMART!
  • Options
    SmokySuitSmokySuit Posts: 429
    jakevt:
    Frankly the prices are fairly high - also consider that cigars from 00-02 are the worst in recent memory for isoms. 
    +1 Although I enjoy a ISOM smoke as much as anyone just look at those box prices...think of what that amount of money could get you here at Ccom...I could almost fill a bath tub up with Diesel Shortys and swim in them...Mmmmmmmmmmm
  • Options
    Redtailhawkoz:
    nikostewart:
    I don't think i will be purchasing anything from this list but thought i should post it if anyone is interested in any of these. Thoughts?

Offered: Fine collection of authentic - aged - ISOM cigars. The cigars are in perfect condition, stored in their original boxes in a custom built humidor. They are an exceptionallygood variety of sizes and flavor profiles, the result of painstakingly searching for quality boxes at various authorized shops in ISOM (some with the help of key contacts - some just plain luck).And they are 10 years old!Check out the list below for the quantity available, and the each & lot prices I’m asking.If you’re interested in the whole ‘lot’, feel free to make an offer.As a group these cigars make an outstanding addition to any cigar enthusiast’s humidor.Note: I’m NOT offering my entire collection, so some lots will not come with the box. (But we can talk about it.)

Romeo Y Julieta Ed. Limitada 2002 RobustoRobusto 11/29/2002 ARA AGO02 25@$20 $425

Hmmm Seems these to good to be true deals are popping up everywhere..... Batch No.? Im telling you better know what the hell your doing throwing around that kind of jack , there are all kinds of thefts and bodus crap going out there... the other thing i Questions is this
    WHY WOULD YOU POST THIS LIST OF ILLEGAL CIGARS ON A WORLD WIDE CIGAR COMPANY WEB SITE? Im JUST SAYINF THATS NOT TO SMART!
    First and foremost its not my sale and second it was already posted on craigslist I simply copied and pasted. I was simply asking for everyones input. I have deleted the main post. Thank you for everyones responses!
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Just want to mention that discussions like this aren't illegal, so everyone can take a big, deep breath, and realize that there are no task forces out there setting up sting operations over a few cigars. Unless they happen upon your shipment during the customs process, you're good. I'm pretty sure none of us know anyone who has been arrested for possession of Cuban cigars, once they are already in the country. Cops have better things to do with their time, especially those patrolling cyberspace...
  • Options
    True; no harm in talking about it - freedom of speech and whatnot. OP didn't need to take down the original post

And anyway, if the cops really enforced the "no cuban" ban, don't you think they'd arrest the pompous **** at CA?

• Options
    xmacro:
    True; no harm in talking about it - freedom of speech and whatnot. OP didn't need to take down the original post

And anyway, if the cops really enforced the "no cuban" ban, don't you think they'd arrest the pompous **** at CA?

Actually media sort of has loopholes for that. I am friends with a journalist who spends a few months of each year in Cuba, which is VERY illegal for Americans, unless they are exempted for various reasons, such as journalism/media/press.
  • Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    xmacro:

Actually media sort of has loopholes for that. I am friends with a journalist who spends a few months of each year in Cuba, which is VERY illegal for Americans, unless they are exempted for various reasons, such as journalism/media/press.
    ...and for acadic reasons, too.
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    docbp87:
    xmacro:

Just because they got a press pass to visit an illegal area, doesn't necessarily mean they have a pass to bring back or "sample" the local merchandise. An example I'd use is Afghanistan - journalists can visit, but they aren't allowed to sample the local heroin, even if it's for academic reasons

All in all, from what I read of news reports, the cuban ban only really affects you if you get caught, and even then, they seem to want the dealers - seems that law enforcement doesn't really care about individuals smoking them on a small scale - have you ever seen a report of cops going after someone JUST because they bought a box of cubans online or had one in their possession?

The only news report in recent memory of the feds doing anything, was when the coast guard picked up a small boat off the coast of Florida, and the guy had something like a hundred boxes of cuban Cohiba's (can't remember which line)
  • Options
    xmacro:
    docbp87:
    xmacro:

Just because they got a press pass to visit an illegal area, doesn't necessarily mean they have a pass to bring back or "sample" the local merchandise. An example I'd use is Afghanistan - journalists can visit, but they aren't allowed to sample the local heroin, even if it's for academic reasons
    But the only reason possession, and consumption of Cuban cigars is illegal is because the possession or consumption of ANY Cuban goods is illegal. So you're saying that when American citizens go to Cuba, it is illegal for them to eat? Or drink? Or do anything else that could potentially stimulate the Cuban economy (which is the point of the embargo, silly as it is in this day and age...)?

It is illegal for an American citizen (technically) to go to London and smoke a Hoyo De Monterrey Des Dieux. Also, I'm pretty sure that if an American citizen goes somewhere that the consumption of heroin or opium is legal then it would be legal for them to consume it, so long as it was not on American soil. Where it would be illegal.
  • Options
    docbp87:
    xmacro:
    docbp87:
    xmacro:

But the only reason possession, and consumption of Cuban cigars is illegal is because the possession or consumption of ANY Cuban goods is illegal. So you're saying that when American citizens go to Cuba, it is illegal for them to eat? Or drink? Or do anything else that could potentially stimulate the Cuban economy (which is the point of the embargo, silly as it is in this day and age...)?

It is illegal for an American citizen (technically) to go to London and smoke a Hoyo De Monterrey Des Dieux. Also, I'm pretty sure that if an American citizen goes somewhere that the consumption of heroin or opium is legal then it would be legal for them to consume it, so long as it was not on American soil. Where it would be illegal.
    No, I'm saying that while journalists can go places and do things others can't, there are limits. What those limits are, I'm not sure of, but I doubt CA fits under any journalistic exceptions

As to your second point, I'm not sure about it not being illegal - I'm reasonably sure I heard awhile back that American laws technically apply to American citizens, regardless of where they are in the world. Then again, I'm not a lawyer on this kinda thing, so I'm not entirely sure
  • Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    xmacro:
    docbp87:
    xmacro:
    docbp87:
    xmacro:

No, I'm saying that while journalists can go places and do things others can't, there are limits. What those limits are, I'm not sure of, but I doubt CA fits under any journalistic exceptions

As to your second point, I'm not sure about it not being illegal - I'm reasonably sure I heard awhile back that American laws technically apply to American citizens, regardless of where they are in the world. Then again, I'm not a lawyer on this kinda thing, so I'm not entirely sure
    That is incorrect if you are an American citizen then you are only held accountable for the US laws when you are on US soil. For instance if an American goes to Canada they can drink when they are 19 years old where the laws here in the US is 21. This was brought up when there was a 19 year old that came back after a night of drinking. They were only accountable for the laws while on US soil.
  • Options
    Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    Redtailhawkoz:
    nikostewart:

This is done often at other sites...maybe not big-name cigar company websites, but definitely talked about often elsewhere. I would assume if people were out "trolling" for this kind of info, they would be at one of the other sites more often than this one.
  • Options
    Sandman1am:
    xmacro:
    docbp87:
    xmacro:
    docbp87:
    xmacro:

That is incorrect if you are an American citizen then you are only held accountable for the US laws when you are on US soil. For instance if an American goes to Canada they can drink when they are 19 years old where the laws here in the US is 21. This was brought up when there was a 19 year old that came back after a night of drinking. They were only accountable for the laws while on US soil.
    ah, my bad then. But I still don't see how CA can fit under any exceptions :-/
  • Options
    xmacro:
    Sandman1am:
    xmacro:
    docbp87:
    xmacro:
    docbp87:
    xmacro:

ah, my bad then. But I still don't see how CA can fit under any exceptions :-/
    Because they are an international publication, and outside of the US, Cuban cigars dominate. Legal exceptions are made for journalists in plenty of fields, and for the biggest Cigar magazine in the world to review Cuban cigars (even though most, well, WERE reviewed by Suckling, who lives in Italy) really isn't hurting anyone, and is actually helping the American economy (Shanken is an American company, so, if they do well, worldwide, the American economy benefits.)

Regardless, the embargo is frivolous at this point, especially given the huge capitalist changes being made by Raul. He is currently selling off huge plots of lands for privatized agricultural endeavors (taxed, but not Govt run). They also just cut out a bunch of state provided amenities as well.

As for
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    xmacro:

Technically speaking, it is not illegal for an American citizen to be present on Cuban soil. The problem lies in the fact that the embargo makes it illegal for a US citizen to, in any way, further or contribute to the Cuban economy.. so you can't buy anything. As has already been mentioned, both journalists and academics can be, and regularly are, granted travel visas to Cuba with no special restrictions on their purchases. This would then make it entirely feasible for a long-established, nationally published magazine to obtain the journalistic license necessary to review these cigars.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    Hays:
    docbp87:
    xmacro:

Technically speaking, it is not illegal for an American citizen to be present on Cuban soil. The problem lies in the fact that the embargo makes it illegal for a US citizen to, in any way, further or contribute to the Cuban economy.. so you can't buy anything. As has already been mentioned, both journalists and academics can be, and regularly are, granted travel visas to Cuba with no special restrictions on their purchases. This would then make it entirely feasible for a long-established, nationally published magazine to obtain the journalistic license necessary to review these cigars.

They also have a london office, and I have never seen them name exactly the person that is reviewing the cigars.(so they probably technically say that it's not an american citizen reviewing)
    It is illegal for an american citizen to smoke a cuban cigar, drink cuban rum, or purchase cuban goods anywhere in the world. The reason for this is because the u.s. (and all of its citizens because of this) have an embargo against cuba.
    If it wasnt specifically for the embargo it wouldn't be illegal for an american citizen to smoke cuban cigars in a country where smoking them is legal. This is why americans can drink in canada, or germany, and only be held accountable for their drunkenness while on american soil. It is strictly the embargo that makes it illegal, not the other countries laws.