Home General Discussion

Worst Cigar Experience

PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
Everyone always asks what the best cigar you ever had was, well I thought I'd start one where we can give our worst experience with a cigar, what cigar it was, what issues we had... etc... etc...

My worst was a Augusto Reyes Nativo. Wasn't the best flavors but not all that bad, the problems came when the wrapper started to unravel on me right after I got it lit, got that fixed fairly quick then it had a runner up on side for about an inch. That took a few lights and corrective burns then the damn thing started to tunnel on me and I was fed up. Tossed it a little before the halfway point.

I'm sure some of you have worse stories, so lets get em rolling.

Comments

• Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    One of my buddies is getting married over this summer and this past summer he invited 3 of us over to hand us invites for being his groomsman wrapped around a cigar. I turned out that these were Joya de Nicaragua's, I don't remember what cigar but I do remember that they were robustos with a maduro wrapper and were not the Celebracion. I know he meant well, but these cigars were really, extremely dry and for some reason we decided to stick all of them in a Tupperware with a wet sponge and then stick that mess in the fridge overnight. Didn't have a humi at the time otherwise it would have gone in there for a few months.

Anyways, the next day we decided to smoke them and they were looking pretty bad. So wet that one of them was drooping and mine stained the ring brownish. Against my better judgement, we lit them up and proceeded try to smoke these things. It tasted like I was smoking wet leaves that had been sitting on the ground for 8 months, and a quarter of the way though the draw started collapsing to the point that even a straight paper clip couldn't do anything. I set it down about halfway finished and at that point it felt like I was trying to suck an icecube up a straw.

The only high point to that was I somehow didn't get sick after that dog rocket.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    this wasnt the worst but probably the most frustrating...

i picked out a gurkha regent toro. usually they are great in all aspects. this is one of the cigars that i constantly have in my humidor. i was running low and I had two left. I picked one. I forgot to do the draw test before i lit. wouldnt you know... plugged.
    I got a big paperclip and started to push through. i went through the thing about 4 times in 4 different places all the way from the cut to the cherry and nothing helped. 30 minutes i struggled with this thing. I gave up and threw it into the fire about an inch in. if i woulda draw tested it i could have just picked the other one. what a waste.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I don't have a worst experience that could touch yours Garen, that sounds awfully bad. I guess trying to smoke a cigar that is hard and dry. That would be mine.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Mine was an Oliva Serie V. I don't remember what size; it's in my log. It was like smoking a can of insect repellent.

I've since had the same cigar in the lancero, courtesy of j0z3r, and they were much better -- still not my favorite, but much better. That first one must have been a real outlier.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Wow, I'm surprised to hear that urby, I've heard some good love for that cigar. I've yet to try it though.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Sounds pretty nasty urbi, maybe someone tripped at the factory and spilled some DDT on your stogie.
    That thought crossed my mind. And, fool that I am, I just kept on smoking the thing, thinking surely it would get better soon.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I've had some bad ones, but the two worst experiences I can think of off the bat are El Duque - actually smelled nice while burning, but tasted like burned paper and stale something on the draw.

That and the Oliveros Italiana blend - I thought this would be a decent stick for the price, but the flavor was lacking to say the least and it tunneled and burned a hole out the side of the cigar just a few puffs in. That turned my cigar into a hot whistle (yes, it was actually whistling as I was trying to smoke it). I quickly put that out and lit up a perdomo cameroon to save the night.

Oh, and I can't forget the La Gloria Cubana that smelled like dirty, wet dog before lighting.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    a helix remix cafe royale - tasted what i imagine a goats ass on fire would taste like- bought a 3 pack on shopkeepers advice ( will deal with him later) smoked half of one much to annoyance of everyone around me with a good cigar -threw away-bummed a romeo y julietta from a sympathetic friend - and gave away other 2 to know it all supervisor who incidentally a couple of hours later had a funny off green glow to himself.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    a helix remix cafe royale - tasted what i imagine a goats ass on fire would taste like- bought a 3 pack on shopkeepers advice ( will deal with him later) smoked half of one much to annoyance of everyone around me with a good cigar -threw away-bummed a romeo y julietta from a sympathetic friend - and gave away other 2 to know it all supervisor who incidentally a couple of hours later had a funny off green glow to himself.
    I think your review has sealed the fate of this cigar.. a goats ass on fire, ummm.. I think I'll pass on Helix Remix,
    Yes. Also, it instructs me never to visit gmill's imagination. There's some weird *** goin' down in there.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    Yes. Also, it instructs me never to visit gmill's imagination. There's some weird *** goin' down in there.
    And You have room to talk ? ( jfk) That's why we love you urbi.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947

remember urbino, an imagination is a terrible thing to waste !!!

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    gmill880:

remember urbino, an imagination is a terrible thing to waste !!!

...and a mind is a terrible thing to taste
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Great Album!~