Home General Discussion

Bring on the Coolers

Just finished up these requests..... Good stuff!

Don't have the coolers for these.... but, here they are.... The BOTL is putting humidification under the crumb catchers....

Comments

• Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Oh wow. I have that green cooler. Several of them in fact. Can you tell me the price of that unit? And also the price of just one of the 3 trays? I've got the smaller version too.
  • nikostewartnikostewart Posts: 451
    Those look great!
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Now that a coolerdor!!!!

• t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    Jezz. That will make a guy think twice about dropping coin on a fancy cabinet. Very nice.
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    t_evan50:
    Jezz. That will make a guy think twice about dropping coin on a fancy cabinet. Very nice.
    + 1 right there, though a cabinet looks spiffy...
  • genius...once you figure out a price can you also pm me as well. That is a awesome solution to a cluttered coolidor such as mine
  • Pricing is simple.... 1-4 pieces... I don't care how big or small... $25.00 per piece. 4-8 pieces.... $22.50 8 or more.... $20.00 Plus cost of wood & shipping... That goes for the wine cooler fridges too.... Average tray takes about a board foot... or so... and SC is right at $6/bf currently...
    WaxingMoon:
    So if I'm reading that right it looks like this would cost $75.00? If so, I'll take a set. How much would shipping be to southern cal?

I'm going to need to season that, aren't I?
  • ajacobsajacobs Posts: 29
    The green cooler is mine.  75 would be for the labor.  Then there is the board feet of lumber as he mentioned up above.  These particular inserts were about 2 board feet each. 
    ajacobs:
    The green cooler is mine.  75 would be for the labor.  Then there is the board feet of lumber as he mentioned up above.  These particular inserts were about 2 board feet each. 
    Ah, I missed that part. Thanks. So total cost is $111.00 + Shipping?
  • quix24quix24 Posts: 66
    I think I'm going to do this pretty soon. Those trays look awesome!
    I wasn't going to speak up when I saw the initial inquiries about price and leave that to Ed, just in case for some reason he didn't want to do any more at the price he quoted me or something.  But since he spelled it out exactly as he quoted me and what I paid, I no longer have those reservations.  Slightly less than 2 board feet so it was 109.92 plus shipping.  Assuming you went the exact same way I did.  I probably paid more for shipping because I had the cooler shipped directly to him from amazon.  So I have to pay to have the cooler come back to me.  I am sure he has the dimensions now so he doesn't need the another cooler to work off of.
    Coleman also makes a smaller version of that cooler which I believe only differs in height and should fit two trays but I am not willing to swear to it.  I did have him size it to the largest possible dimensions because the cooler does tapper a little and I didn't want the trays to slide around a bunch on top of each other.   Somebody could always go with one tray and put boxes under also - which I think would make for a huge capacity starter coolidor.  Then you could always add more trays and even more coolers if you needed two.

Ed drilled the holes but I am going to install some rope to make handles to lift out the trays.
  • PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    I have and love that cooler. With the trays, how many loose sticks do you think it can hold?
    I don't think the trays will diminish the capacity by any significance.  In fact I think I will fit more that I do without them.   I currently have boxes in mine and there is dead space and partially full boxes. 

Short answer 250 or so.  33 qt cooler is about 1900 cubic inches.  If we were to say 7 cubic inches for a cigar which is probably more than generous you get 270 minus a little for the wood and humidification.  Plus some wasted space (which really allows for airflow).  200-250 easy.

Mind you though the side with 3 compartments is only 6.5 inches internally with the 2 outside ones 5.5 inches wide.  I smoke mostly toro/torpedos/robustos.  This will allow me to lay robustos one way and toros the other.  Maybe if your a Churchill guy you wouldn't want any dividers and just one compartment in the lift out tray.
  • noccanocca Posts: 12
    Ed should extend the height of the sides , then route out the bottom of the next tray up . just a suggestion . they're beautiful . send us some pix when you add your stock .
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Man those crumb catchers and bead trays look nice....those will work great in my large capacity storage unit. LOL Those trays are awesome...
    I will send you the pics of the crumbcatchers and bead trays once they are set up...can't wait!!!
    I have a question about the bead trays...Are the beads poured directly into the trays without using the bags.... My preference at this point is to use the bag but the beads might be more efficient (cover a larger area if the trays are used without the bags.) Only drawback being is the dampness affecting the wood. Any comments?
    I know spanish cedar isn't really a type of cedar, but like cedar I don't think the dampness will harm the wood.  People put their bags of beads directly in their humidors all the time without placing them on a dish. 
  • TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    You can order the beads from Heartfelt in a 3 inch round plastic container. I ordered up four of them, and sent Waxingmoon a cooler just like on the first post. I figured I stick a couple on the lid, and a couple in the bottom tray. The Hearfelt web site has a calculator that shows you how many bead you need to cover X amount of cubic inches.
    I guess i didn't phrase my question correctly...I was wondering if it would be ok to dump the beads directly into the trays without the bags? I know placing the beads in bags into the humidor doesn't cause problems but I was wondering if the beads are scattered over a larger area without the bags would they perform well and not warp/distort the wood?
  • TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    I don't think I'd put the beads directly into the trays. When you recharge them you're going to end up with wet wood. I'd find some sort of insert that fits into one of the tray slots. I bet you can find something in the cooking isle at your local big box.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Hey Waxingmoon, you still out there??? You have a pm.