Home General Discussion
Options

USPS and CCOM

I know I have said it before and countless others have as well...but the delivery time with USPS vs UPS is so much faster. I ordered the DD on Monday and it is here already (via USPS). If it was shipped with UPS it would just be leaving one of their facilities where it was "sorted" and sent to another...then tomorrow it would arrive at the sorting station five miles down the road. UPS in their infinite wisdom would keep it there for the weekend, since it would have been sent standard shipping vs. Air and they want you to pay for next day air. Thank you CCOM for your prompt service and using USPS.

Comments

• Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    beardedcanadian:
    I know I have said it before and countless others have as well...but the delivery time with USPS vs UPS is so much faster. I ordered the DD on Monday and it is here already (via USPS). If it was shipped with UPS it would just be leaving one of their facilities where it was "sorted" and sent to another...then tomorrow it would arrive at the sorting station five miles down the road. UPS in their infinite wisdom would keep it there for the weekend, since it would have been sent standard shipping vs. Air and they want you to pay for next day air. Thank you CCOM for your prompt service and using USPS.
    Just to defend UPS slightly here, When shipped it is going UPS Ground (or economy) And when shipped Via USPS is it going priority which is basically 2nd day for most points in the country.
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Fourtotheflush:
    beardedcanadian:
    Just to defend UPS slightly here, When shipped it is going UPS Ground (or economy) And when shipped Via USPS is it going priority which is basically 2nd day for most points in the country.
    And all I am sure comes down to best rate they can get for each state...
  • Options
    Husker44Husker44 Posts: 172
    For whatever reason CCOM has used both in shipments to me. UPS delivers when the tracking says it will be here. USPS is a crapshoot at best
  • Options
    It really depends on location. If you are east coast like NJ and NY UPS will be pretty much next day where as USPS can take 2-3. West coast USPS is 2-3 while UPS is 4-6 days.
  • Options
    I have had both UPS and USPS. USPS does get it to me quicker.
  • Options
    I too seem to get USPS orders faster here in So. IL.
  • Options
    dwayne3307dwayne3307 Posts: 272
    last week i ordered one of the DD's sed the free shipping option for the first time and it took 3 days to get to me. when i use ups it takes 3 days as well. lesson learned, hello free shipping from here on out
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    One of the things that has always made me come back again and again to CCOM is the fact that I can get all my orders sent USPS. I get my stuff in 2-3 days consistently. All the other online retailers seem to be in love with UPS Ground. No thanks, I'm in California and I'd like to see my order a little faster than 7-10 business days.

UPS Ground has it's place. If for instance I am shipping something to someone who is also in southern Cal, I can ship it UPS Ground and it's effectively an overnight service, but from coast to coast it's a terribly slow service.
  • Options
    cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    Husker44:
    For whatever reason CCOM has used both in shipments to me. UPS delivers when the tracking says it will be here. USPS is a crapshoot at best
    I agree.
  • Options
    beardedcanadianbeardedcanadian Posts: 86 ✭✭
    Husker44:
    That's funny, usually just the opposite for me...I am just outside Boston and USPS always gets it here a day before it says its expected arrival date...UPS for me is always very slow. I am not bashing UPS...just some of their "tactics". :-)
  • Options
    PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    I always order with UPS. I get my package the next day, every time.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've said this before, but with UPS, it all depends or your location v. their distribution center location. I live in Ithaca and our center is in Syracuse, NY.

The shipment usually leaves the wharehouse at about 8:50 PM or so and it gets to Syracuse by midnight or 1 AM and leaves 3 AM for the Ithaca sub-station. It is out for delivery by 5:45 AM and I get it about 10 AM. If I order Monday thru Thursday, I get my shipment the next morning.

Just lucky location I guess.

• Options
    beardedcanadianbeardedcanadian Posts: 86 ✭✭
    YankeeMan:
    I've said this before, but with UPS, it all depends or your location v. their distribution center location. I live in Ithaca and our center is in Syracuse, NY.

The shipment usually leaves the wharehouse at about 8:50 PM or so and it gets to Syracuse by midnight or 1 AM and leaves 3 AM for the Ithaca sub-station. It is out for delivery by 5:45 AM and I get it about 10 AM. If I order Monday thru Thursday, I get my shipment the next morning.

Just lucky location I guess.

That is impressive. Every time that I get an order from UPS it sits in there distribution center, which is 5 miles down the road, for 2-3 days. Glad you have better luck with UPS than I do.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting, it's about 50/50 for me. Both will usually arrive in 3 - 4 days, to the local office, but the UPS guy is likely to leave it at someone else's house, and the Post Office carrier may tote it around in her truck for a while before putting it in the box. This is another instance of CCOMS great service, because after contacting them a time or two, now my cigars arrive at my house, and usually when their supposed to.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Of course, USPS is so deep in the red right now... partly because it probably gets packages across the country fast without regard for how much it costs them because it's subsidized by taxpayer dollars.
    In a sense, you are paying for that faster shipment with ever increasing taxes just to keep USPS running.

UPS, on the other hand, is running a business for profitability...so if you pay cheap, you get it in 7-10 days; you pay big, you get it a lot sooner because if they don't make profit over cost the Feds are not going to keep printing money for them like they do for USPS. Ironic huh? :p

• Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    At least you guys have that choice. I get all my stuff USPS and it often takes like 10 days or more. Yes, it's going 8K miles, but it also has to go through a lot of red tape to get here.
    Light 'em up.