Home General Discussion

Why can't the NC's come up with a Cuban tasting cigar

When times were better I smoked Cuban Monte #2,Enmundo and Padron 3,000's.Now that I'm retired the Cubans are definately out of my price range.I can't find a NC that has the Cuban taste-nothing taste like a good Monte #2.The Cubans with all their production problems still make the best tasting cigar.The answer has to be the soil and location.The NC people have the seeds.I like to hear your opinions.Maybe there is a good $3.00 NC that taste like a Monte #2-if so please tell me so that I can start enjoying cigars again.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    nails:
    When times were better I smoked Cuban Monte #2,Enmundo and Padron 3,000's.Now that I'm retired the Cubans are definately out of my price range.I can't find a NC that has the Cuban taste-nothing taste like a good Monte #2.
    this is true. you already answered the question though:
    nails:
    The answer has to be the soil and location.
    there is no other place like cuba
    nails:
    The Cubans with all their production problems still make the best tasting cigar.
    in your opinion.

i have yet to try a cuban cigar that i enjoyed as much as most Davidoffs, Avos, LFDs, Camachos, and JdN.

is there a $3 cigar that tastes like a "good" (i say that because of all the production issues) monte #2?
    i dont think so.
    there are good cigars out there but will they have the profile and "sharpness" or "twang" that cuban cigars have? probably not.
    i havent had one.

there are way more cigars out there than Cuban cigars, much like there is way more wine out there than French wine.
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    I still think the Sol cubano Cuban Cabinet #4 tastes a lot like a Monte #4 from Cuba. Cuba just does not impress me. The only time I have really enjoyed that tobacco is when I have gotten it from folks outside cuba who import it and ferment it and work it themselves.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Because they don't use Cuban tobacco. Hard to make a Honduran puro taste like a Nicaraguan puro too, for the same reason, etc.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    I've had a handful of ISOMs, none of which were anything special. I'm sure some are, but then again there are thousands of great cigars available aside from ISOMs.
    Light 'em up.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    If I were to make, say, a top 10 list of my favorite cigars I've smoked, 3 or 4 would probably be Cuban. The rest would be Dominican, Honduran, Nicaraguan, or a mix. In my experience, every country of origin has the ability to produce fantastic cigars.
  • RoyalCigarsRoyalCigars Posts: 106
    nails:
    When times were better I smoked Cuban Monte #2,Edmundo and Padron 3,000's.Now that I'm retired the Cubans are definitely out of my price range.I can't find a NC that has the Cuban taste-nothing taste like a good Monte #2.The Cubans with all their production problems still make the best tasting cigar.The answer has to be the soil and location.The NC people have the seeds.I like to hear your opinions.Maybe there is a good $3.00 NC that taste like a Monte #2-if so please tell me so that I can start enjoying cigars again.

I have always kept an eye out for this flavor profile as well. I like Cubans to but....they are really expensive and usually not worth buying because so often they need a lot of age for them to taste remotely decent. However every now and then you'll have a Cuban that is delicious. The closest I have smoked to a Cuban.....I will give the top 3 closest (least to most). Number 3: Don Pepin Garcia JJ series, Number 2: Rocky Patel Olde World Corojo and Number 1: Camacho 10th Anniversary. The Camacho was toasty, spicy and had that creaminess to it that to me reminds me of a aged Cuban. Make no mistake though the Camacho is still Strong. Med-Full at least. I hope this helps.

-Regards and Long Ashes!
  • ellinasellinas Posts: 329
    idk, i'd love to try a cuban cigar sometime. i've never had one but i'm pretty sure some of the best cigars i've had can rival some great cubans.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I have only had a couple Cuban cigars that I feel were really great. there's too many really great cigars out there to waste time on worrying about trying to afford and even just find decent Cubans.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I've had several Cuban cigars and haven't been overly impressed with any of them, but there are some really good ones. The best I've had was a Monte #2 and the Partagas Serie D. The cigar I've found that comes closest is the Don Pepin El Rey de Los Habanos, which is very reminiscent of the Serie D... But the Pepin is cheaper and a LOT easier to find.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    My experience is not extensive. I have had some that were really good (Cohiba) and the same stick that was nothing special (same Cohiba). My take is their quality control is lacking to keep up production numbers and keep money rolling in to the Castro's. My last Cuban Monte #2 was very disappointing. I find the DPG JJ to be similar and far superior in most cases. Camacho would be my 2nd choice that comes closest to delivering what I perceive to be the Cuban "magic" along with a few of the Rocky's.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Most cuban cigars to me are over priced, over hyped, flat and too tightly rolled. That being said Try the El Triunfador. Pete Johnsons attempt to capture cuban flavor in a cigar. Not sure if he hit the mark, but its a darn tasty cigar.... go for a smaller RG with this one!