Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Cohiba XV

Has anyone had these. i saw them in the store last night and didnt know much about them. Wondering how they are.

I havent had a Cohiba before so not sure in general how they are.

Comments

• Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    I haven't had the XV or the Puro Dominico. I've had the Cohiba Red Dot and Black, and they're tasty. However, they're not really worth MSRP in my opinion. If you want something worthwhile from the Dominican Cohiba line, I suggest the Red Dot or Black pequenos. They're fairly priced and they're tasty smokes for the colder days.

For the money, however, there's much better stuff for less cash per stick.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Of the Dominican Cohibas, I think the XV is the best, don't really care for the others. Haven't tried all the sizes, but I really like the 645. It is a little more potent, I'd put is right in the med-full category, with an almost chocolatey taste and some spice worked in there. Definitely worth a try I think, and if you're going to try one Dominican Cohiba, this is the one, the others are kinda whatever.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Of the Dominican Cohibas, I think the XV is the best, don't really care for the others. Haven't tried all the sizes, but I really like the 645. It is a little more potent, I'd put is right in the med-full category, with an almost chocolatey taste and some spice worked in there. Definitely worth a try I think, and if you're going to try one Dominican Cohiba, this is the one, the others are kinda whatever.
    +1 to this. I haven't had the Purpose Dominica yet, but the XV is the best of the Dominican Cohibas.
  • Options
    absolutjerabsolutjer Posts: 120
    j0z3r:
    The Puro Dominicana has quickly become one of my favorite sticks after I got a good deal on some on an auction site. Don't think I would want to pay retail for them but I have really enjoyed the 12 or so I got. I just picked up a box of the XV 550's a few weeks ago but have not tried one yet. It will be my first XV. Now I am really looking forward to trying one after reading your comments..
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Picked up one of these at a B&M today and smoked it on the ride home - I personally found it to be a bit of a ham sandwich. Not a lot of flavor, contrary to j0z3r's review above I would classify it as a mild to medium AT BEST. In the last third it got a bit better, tasted a little spice, but for the most part Id have to give it a solid "meh".

The fact that I just looked it up here at CCom and found out I paid nearly twice MSRP for it only pisses me off more!

• Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Here's the review of one I did for Jozer's palate game, at the time I had no idea what it was:
    ENFIDL:
    Stick #1:

Prepped the palate by drinking water and eating an orange around 1 hr before having the cigar. Great smelling dry maduro. Well balanced in the hand and has a great tobacco smell coming from it straight out of the cellophane. Upon tasting the pre-light draw after cutting with my MOW 2 blade guillotine cutter, the draw is hard but feels manageable with very little taste to it. Just some well aged tobacco flavors. Stick lights great and has a perfect burn. Draw is getting harder. I am pulling some flavors of spice and cedar in the first third of the cigar. The flavors develop into a nice earthy flavor for the next third. The draw is still rough but I am pulling a good amount of smoke out of the cigar. The last 2 inches the cigar turns kind of bitter and this only gets more pronounced the further down I smoke it. I put the stick down with about 1.5 inches left. Good smoke that I def want to have again. The draw issues seemed to come from too much tobacco being in the cigar not any plug issues.
  • Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    I have one of these sitting. Excited to try it but letting it rest a few months.
  • Options
    I'd go so far as to say that I don't find it med-full as I initially did, having smoked several more, I now put it at solid medium. As for the rest, I'm sticking to my original story.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Eh, I probably just got a bum stick... honestly, its getting to the point that I dont like buying from B&M's anymore.
    <BR
  • Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    The Sniper:
    Eh, I probably just got a bum stick... honestly, its getting to the point that I dont like buying from B&M's anymore.
    Our B&M here is pretty nice for accommodations but they don't keep their humidor in consistent condition. If they did they would get a lot more business. When you buy a stick there you take it home and let it rest a week or so. They let you bring your own so it is not a huge deal.
  • Options
    The Sniper:
    They are a bit inconsistent, I can tell you that much, at least from my experience.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    If you read MY review they taste like a Partagas Cuban cigar... So... Yeah.... you got that going for you... huh?
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    If you read MY review they taste like a Partagas Cuban cigar... So... Yeah.... you got that going for you... huh?
    Wasn't that the Serie H you thought was a Partagas?
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Lasabar:
    Wasn't that the Serie H you thought was a Partagas?
    At this point... I'm not sure... If the XV was the FIRST one, then yes...
    I thought the XV tasted like a more complex Patel Edge...
  • Options
    I have a couple in my humidor from the Super Premium Double Stack sampler that I ordered a couple weeks ago. Haven't tried them yet. I mainly bought the sampler for the other cigars, so if these are solid then that'll just be a nice bonus.