Home General Discussion

NOOB Question

What does BOTL  and getting BOMBed mean?  i've got a good idea on the BOMB thing, but not 100% sure.  any explination would be appreciated.

Comments

• Sol1821Sol1821 Posts: 707 ✭✭
    sounds like a botl needs to bomb you so you get the message :p
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Or bork could get him in on a PIF
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    B rother
    O f
    T he
    L eaf

Getting bombed is an unexpected package of cigar goodness sent to you from a BOTL.
  • rossdavey2rossdavey2 Posts: 979
    BOTL stands for Brother Of The Leaf. A bomb is when you send someone a package of cigars without them expecting it.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    you know I have a few questions too, i've been meaning to ask. Since i'm not real good with the whole accronym thing

what is a PIF?
    LMAO = Laugh my a$$ off? that right?
    What the heck is the ROTFL . . . . etc etc one that people put in?. there's like 15 letters and I can't for the life of me figure it out.
    ROTT = Right off the truck? that right?

I know there are more but thats all I can think of right now.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    boydmcgowan:
    you know I have a few questions too, i've been meaning to ask. Since i'm not real good with the whole accronym thing

what is a PIF?
    What the heck is the ROTFL . . . . etc etc one that people put in?. there's like 15 letters and I can't for the life of me figure it out.

PIF = Pay It forward
    LMAO = correct, thought technically LaughING
    ROTFL = Rolling on the Floor Laughing
    ROTFLMAO = Rolling on the Floor Laughing My A$$ Off, etc. for other extensions
    ROTT = correct

What, you missed the whole chat rooms in the 90s thing? LoL
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    PIF - Pay it Forward; see the Trades, Bombs and Games forum for the specific thread
    LMAO - laughing my ass off
    ROFL - rolling on [the] floor laughing
    - ROTT - Right off the truck

EDIT - Ken beat me to it

• Johnny_KickassJohnny_Kickass Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Thanks everyone.  all clear now.
    Ken Light:
    boydmcgowan:

what is a PIF?

PIF = Pay It forward
    LMAO = correct, thought technically LaughING
    ROTFL = Rolling on the Floor Laughing
    ROTFLMAO = Rolling on the Floor Laughing My A$$ Off, etc. for other extensions
    ROTT = correct

What, you missed the whole chat rooms in the 90s thing? LoL
    hahaha, apparently I did. Can't text either and this is my first forum, so I'm catching up. haha.

That was helpful though Ken, thanks. I kind of figured the R ones we're a good thing, but I gave up trying to figure it out. haha.

One more question. Whats the difference between a PIF and a Bomb then? i'm assuming the recipient woulnd't expect either, but would etiquette imply that instead of return fire one would send send a new PIF to someone else unsuspecting? that would keep it going forward? So how would you know which you got a PIF or a Bomb?
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    B&M = Brick & Mortar (store) or Black n Mild...lol.
    LOL = Laugh out loud...LOL

Welcome!!
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    In PIY, the receiver knows there is a package coming. Receives package, smokes, rates & reviews, post a guess as to what they were, then asks for a volunteer so he can ship a package of smokes too and the process starts all over again. Bombs...are correctly stated above. Unsuspecting and no expectation of the receiver to send anything out. Just receive and smoke!
    Ok that makes sense . .

Thanks guys.

Johnny . . . welcome to the forums.
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    boydmcgowan:
    Ok that makes sense . .

Thanks guys.

Once your kids start texting you wont be able to understand a thing on their phone. I'll try and find the translator link I used to use to decipher my daughters text messages and send it to you.
    DSWarmack:
    boydmcgowan:
    Ok that makes sense . .

Thanks guys.

Once your kids start texting you wont be able to understand a thing on their phone. I'll try and find the translator link I used to use to decipher my daughters text messages and send it to you.
    HAHA, thats funny. Yeah Texting, I honestly don't get the point of it. I mean its a phone. Its for calling people, and for people to call you, I don't really understand why I'd want to type on it. Maybe thats just me, but it seems like calling someone on the phone your holding would be your first option. hahaha.

Right on though man, even though our little dude has a looong way to go before texting, I'd totally be up for checking that out. It would probably help us translate our friends texts to us so I don't have to call them back wondering wtf their saying.
  • Johnny_KickassJohnny_Kickass Posts: 14 ✭✭
    boydmcgowan:
    Ok that makes sense . .

Thanks guys.

Thanks, i don't talk much but i'm usually around. still finding my fav cigars. sampled several and have more arriving on monday.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Johnny - welcome as well... and dude, love the screen name!
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • long_asheslong_ashes Posts: 166
    boydmcgowan:
    DSWarmack:
    boydmcgowan:
    Ok that makes sense . .

Thanks guys.

HAHA, thats funny. Yeah Texting, I honestly don't get the point of it. I mean its a phone. Its for calling people, and for people to call you, I don't really understand why I'd want to type on it. Maybe thats just me, but it seems like calling someone on the phone your holding would be your first option. hahaha.

Right on though man, even though our little dude has a looong way to go before texting, I'd totally be up for checking that out. It would probably help us translate our friends texts to us so I don't have to call them back wondering wtf their saying.
    I've always been a big computer geek but I never got the whole texting thing either until the last few years. I think a lot of people prefer to text when they want to send a quick specific message like "I'll see you in a few" plus unlimited texting plans are very cheap whereas minutes on a cell phone can get costly if you go over your monthly limit. I think that's why kids started to do it because their parents gave them really cheap low minute plans and it just started to catch on.
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    boydmcgowan:

My 11 year old daughter has a cell phone for getting in touch with her sperm donor. She recently was allowed to start texting, I cant stand it, because she'll text me things like WRUD, which means what are you doing. The first time she did it I thought she was trying to say Word, and I explained that she spelled it wrong and thats not how we talk to our parents. When she busted out laughing I made her explain every acronym she used on her phone. Any acc. not explained equaled not having the phone till i figured it out.

I've had to do that more than once.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to think like you until a guy told me "sometimes I want to know what's for dinner but I don't want to talk to my wife".
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    I was the same way about texting until I started doing it and then suddenly all of these stupid awkward conversations I had every day started to disappear. I actually wish I had it earlier in my life now. I was a very severe stutterer until about senior year of high school when In finally found a speech therapy that worked well. I'm still pretty bad here and there, but I get through pretty easily now. Then more recently texting has been a HUGE help to me because my mom lost her ability to speak while living with ALS, so I basically wouldn't be able to communicate to her without it.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
    DSWarmack:
    boydmcgowan:

She recently was allowed to start texting, I cant stand it, because she'll text me things like WRUD, which means what are you doing. The first time she did it I thought she was trying to say Word, and I explained that she spelled it wrong and thats not how we talk to our parents. When she busted out laughing I made her explain every acronym she used on her phone.
    jsnake:
    I used to think like you until a guy told me "sometimes I want to know what's for dinner but I don't want to talk to my wife".
    HAHA, Hilarious. or to practice a new acronym

LMFAO with both of these.
    Ken Light:
    I was the same way about texting until I started doing it and then suddenly all of these stupid awkward conversations I had every day started to disappear. I actually wish I had it earlier in my life now. I was a very severe stutterer until about senior year of high school when In finally found a speech therapy that worked well. I'm still pretty bad here and there, but I get through pretty easily now. Then more recently texting has been a HUGE help to me because my mom lost her ability to speak while living with ALS, so I basically wouldn't be able to communicate to her without it.
    That does make sense with the awkward conversation thing, and thats really cool that its allowed you to communicate with your mom still. Technologay can be a really good thing sometimes, and thats awesome man.

And I take full responsibility for my personal texting inadequacies, hahaha, which I think has alot to do with the fact that we get the free phones with our plans, not smart phones. We're just not really technology people. So when all our blackberry and iPhone friends text us, we try to test back and to say "be right there" I gotta hit "2-2 3-3 space 7-7-7 4-4-4 4 4-4 8 space 8 4-4 3-3 7-7-7 3-3." So I usually call, becuase it saves me 20 minutes of texting, but then that starts another awkward conversation because their expecting a text back and I have to explain why I'm not a texter . . . its a vicous cycle I tell you. haha And I know thee's a way to change the settings so its a little faster, but I honestly can't figure it out and I'm too lazy to look it up in the manual.