Home Non Cigar Related

Music Interests

Was going through some of the old C.com videos for the umpteenth time and it was brought up that it was odd that Donny was into metal. That got me thinking about what you guys listen to, hence the post.

So here's what I listen to fairly often:
Tool
A Perfect Circle
Metallica (going to a concert with them, Lamb of God and The Sword on the 15th)
Creedance Clearwater Revival
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Frank Sinatra and the Rat Pack
Nirvana
Assorted Techno
When the mood strikes Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix

As you can see I'm all over the place, how about you guys?

Comments

• Great thread. I'm a metal head, but I listen to damn near everything.

My favs.

Mushroomhead
    TOOL
    A Perfect Circle
    August Burns Red
    Parkway Drive
    Converge
    Mudvayne
    Atmosphere
    The Living Legends
    Lamb of God
    Hatebreed
    Through the Eyes of the Dead
    The Charoit
    Norma Jean
    The Ink Spots
    Bela Fleck and the Flecktones
    Mike Lenz
    White Zombie
    The Dynospectrum
    Mastodon
    Pennywise
    Strung Out
    Ozzy Osbourne
    Billy Idol
    and for comedic value, Party All The Time by Eddie Murphy.

I love music, I have a tattoo of a treble clef on the inside of my right arm. I'm an uber nerd.
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    I'm a Jam head, but dig anything with some feeling behind it..

I'll just throw out some of what I've been frequenting lately...

Phish (early 90s)
    The Avett Brothers (all of their stuff, simply poetic)
    Umphrey's McGee (awesome live)
    Talking Heads (nuff said)
    Keller Williams (best one-man-show around)
    Rodrigo y Gabriela (latin guitar playing turns me on)
    JJ Grey & MOFRO (Southern Back Porch Funk)
    Animal Liberation Orchestra (happy new hippy rock, love Zach's vocals)
    Sound Tribe Sector 9 (good electronic jamband?)
    Sanjay Mishra (thank you NPR)
    Charlie Hunter Trio (jazz guitar extraordinaire)

well, it's what I've been listening to lately, I can definitely get into some Bela Fleck any day of the week, great stuff, especially his stuff with Edgar Meyer....
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ive been getting into Big Business as of late.

just a drummer and a guy on bass who sings. those two guys are more metal than many 5 piece bands.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I'm all over the map on music tastes, so in sticking with that thought, I'm gonna throw out a random list of bands/artists I like.

Rush
    Ramones
    John Coltrane
    Slayer
    TSOL
    Screaming Trees
    DI
    Sepultura (Max era)
    Agression
    Duke Ellington
    Frank Sinatra
    Black Sabbath
    Oingo Boingo
    Iron Maiden
    El-p

Ok, random list done...if I keep going, I'll be forced to list every band I've ever liked in alphabetical and chronological order, and none of us want to see that.
  • plaidbanana1plaidbanana1 Posts: 187
    im in a band and we play plenty of metal. you guys think you're all over the place? who else has Don Johnsons Essential Hits?
    plaidbanana1:
    im in a band and we play plenty of metal. you guys think you're all over the place? who else has Don Johnsons Essential Hits?
    ... thats not something to be proud of...

• urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    plaidbanana1:
    Don Johnson has essential hits? (I remember only one song that got any radio play at all.)
  • sanesane Posts: 151
    As it seems to be a trend and I do like Maynard, Tool and A Perfect Circle are on my list along with
    Neil Young
    Mirah
    Tom Waits
    Atmosphere
    POS
    RJD2
    Sole
    Typical Cats
    Bjork
    Juno Reactor
    Dj Tiesto
    Dieselboy and Dara
    Beethoven
    And a hell of a lot more.
    sane:
    Juno Reactor
    i have Shango and Beyond the Infinite ...if im not mistaken there is another one that is titled "bible of dreams"

do you have that? if so is it any good? closer to Shango or Beyond?

i too am an atmosphere fan. when life gives you lemons is in my car right now. ... i just put it in there after taking out strictly leakage...
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I'm a huge underground, intelligent rap fan. Atmosphere, Josh Martinez, Sage Francis, The Let Go
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    ROFL....Looks like i'll be the first one to crack this end of the music spectrum open.....

Aaron Tippin
    Toby Keith
    Johnny Cash
    Merle Haggard
    Hank...both of em
    Garth Brooks
    Trace Adkins
    Kris Kristofferson
    George Strait
    Chris Ledoux
    Eric Clapton
    Willie!!
    Currently in my CD changer ...

Josh Martinez ... Midriff Music
    Dropkick Murphys .. The Meanest of Times
    Amy Winehouse ... Back to Black
    Lupe Fiasco ... The Cool
    The White Stripes ... Icky Thump
    Josh Martinez ... The World Famous Sex Buffet
  • sanesane Posts: 151
    kuzi16:
    sane:
    Juno Reactor
    i have Shango and Beyond the Infinite ...if im not mistaken there is another one that is titled "bible of dreams"

do you have that? if so is it any good? closer to Shango or Beyond?

i too am an atmosphere fan. when life gives you lemons is in my car right now. ... i just put it in there after taking out strictly leakage...

My Juno Reactor collection is a mess, I don't know what albums I have,its just a collection of MP3's. I keep meaning to clean it up but haven't yet.

For anyone that likes Atmosphere I would recommend checking out some of the other Hip-Hop groups I listed:
    POS
    Sole
    Typical Cats

If you like those then let me know and I can give you a larger list of good Hip-Hop.
  • capsfanxcapsfanx Posts: 29
    I am a metal head....I mostly listen to the following

Metallica
    Megadeth
    Disturbed
    Godsmack
    AC/DC
    some Mudvayne
    some Slipknot

I can listen to pretty much everything, but the louder the better and the only music that really fits that is metal!!

Jetmech_63:
    ROFL....Looks like i'll be the first one to crack this end of the music spectrum open.....

Aaron Tippin
    Toby Keith
    Johnny Cash
    Merle Haggard
    Hank...both of em
    Garth Brooks
    Trace Adkins
    Kris Kristofferson
    George Strait
    Chris Ledoux
    Eric Clapton
    Willie!!
    i can get down on some cash and willie ..... but not so much any of those others...
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Oddly enough, I really don't listen to music. In my CD changer (and probably in there for at least the last year or so) is Nirvana, Tom Petty, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams (the real one, not his bush league son) and Beastie Boys. I'm a loser. I listen to sports talk radio.
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    madurofan:
    I'm a huge underground, intelligent rap fan. Atmosphere, Josh Martinez, Sage Francis, The Let Go

intelligent, yes ...I like to call it conscious rap too...In which I tend to get into Jurassic 5 (older stuff mostly), Michael Franti & Spearhead (more funk/reggae/rock), Lyrics Born, and Atmosphere every once in a while.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    These Filthy Hands:
    Great thread. I'm a metal head, but I listen to damn near everything.

Converge
    Funny side note: I've mentioned before that I do Muay Thai. Well I trained with a kid who looked all to familiar a few times recently and when I asked him his name he said "Jake." With the tattoos and the name and face, I put it all together...Jake Bannon from Converge. OK, I thought it was kinda cool.

As for my musical tastes, music is my thing. Been in bands for years, starting with metal (The Red Chord - I was the original bassist before the first album and was thanked in the first two albums - my claim to fame) and now doing vocals in a hard rock band (heavy southern rock - kinda Corrosion of Conformity, Only Living Witness...). I'm gonna say my taste in music is eclectic. The last few albums/artists purchased...

Bach
    Chopin
    Mozart
    Kamchatka (kind of blues/jam band)
    Miles Davis
    Coyote Oldman (Native American flute music)
    Hank III
    Volbeat (Elvis meets Johnny Cash meets old Life of Agony)
    Prince
    Herb Alpert
    Bury Your Dead
    Children of Bodom
    Red (Jazz/Hip Hop fusion)
    Army of the Pharaohs

I try to keep an open mind. But usually stay away from very poppy stuff.
  • rmccloudrmccloud Posts: 160 ✭✭
    Luko:
    I'm a loser. I listen to sports talk radio.
    I love some good Sports talk radio on the way home from work. The local guy here is pretty funny and you can call in and talk about sports or anything pop culture. Just have to stay away from the politics.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I'm a Classic Rock and Blues guy with some old metal and hard rock thrown in. However, I play the sax and play in two rock bands and one wedding band so I get the play the blues and rock and roll thing but do the jazz, big band and pop thing too. There is some funk I like to play also.
    Zep
    Tesla
    Stevie Ray Vaughn(One of my favorites)
    Metallica
    Bon Jovi
    Buddy Guy
    Poison
    Whie Lion and White Snake
    Van Halen; Both Sammy and Dave
    Skynyrd
    Allman Brothers
    Creedence
    Journey
    Aerosmith
    ZZ Top
    Springsteen
    Claptop
    Skid Row
    Etc...
    bbc020:
    madurofan:

intelligent, yes ...I like to call it conscious rap too...In which I tend to get into Jurassic 5 (older stuff mostly), Michael Franti & Spearhead (more funk/reggae/rock), Lyrics Born, and Atmosphere every once in a while.
    I like that conscious rap ... I might steal that. Have you listened to Josh or Sage? I'll burn you a disc with best of Josh Martinez if you'd like. Youtube Sage Francis - Makeshift Patriot if you've never heard it. IMHO one of the best 3 rap songs of all time.
    I remember the old Jurassic 5 stuff.
    rmccloud:
    Luko:
    I'm a loser. I listen to sports talk radio.
    I love some good Sports talk radio on the way home from work. The local guy here is pretty funny and you can call in and talk about sports or anything pop culture. Just have to stay away from the politics.
    I'm also a big sports talk guy. I listen to Sirius NFL radio everyday at work.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    kuzi16:
    Jetmech_63:

Aaron Tippin
    Toby Keith
    Johnny Cash
    Merle Haggard
    Hank...both of em
    Garth Brooks
    Trace Adkins
    Kris Kristofferson
    George Strait
    Chris Ledoux
    Eric Clapton
    Willie!!
    i can get down on some cash and willie ..... but not so much any of those others...
    Seconded. Although, I can also enjoy some Clapton or the original Hank, from time to time.

I haven't been listening to just loads of music lately. Nonetheless, here are the people/bands I seem to buy a lot of:

Wilco
    Jim White
    Greg Brown
    Gillian Welch
    Beatles
    Spoon
    Townes Van Zandt
    Bob Dylan
    Ben Harper
    Springsteen
    Lucinda Williams
    Neil Young
    Nick Drake

And assorted others.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    kuzi16:
    Jetmech_63:

Aaron Tippin
    Toby Keith
    Johnny Cash
    Merle Haggard
    Hank...both of em
    Garth Brooks
    Trace Adkins
    Kris Kristofferson
    George Strait
    Chris Ledoux
    Eric Clapton
    Willie!!
    Seconded. Although, I can also enjoy some Clapton or the original Hank, from time to time.
    Haters.......:)
    Jetmech_63:
    urbino:
    kuzi16:
    Jetmech_63:

Aaron Tippin
    Toby Keith
    Johnny Cash
    Merle Haggard
    Hank...both of em
    Garth Brooks
    Trace Adkins
    Kris Kristofferson
    George Strait
    Chris Ledoux
    Eric Clapton
    Willie!!
    Haters.......:)
    Do we have a rednek calling someone a hater?
  • Huge metal head. I don't really like the way America has gone with metal lately so most of my favorite new bands are from Finland, Norway and other such Scandanavian places.
    LORDI
    Finntroll
    Ensiferum
    Tyr
    Turisas
    Eluviete
    Korpiklaani

I like classic Rock, metal and hair metal as well.
    AC/DC
    Aerosmith
    Metallica
    Megadeth
    Pantera
    Twisted Sister
    Motley Crue
    KISS

I also like Industrial and Rock Industrial
    Nine Inch Nails
    OhGR
    Skinny Puppy
    Marilyn Manson
    Rob Zombie
    White Zombie

And Punk (some of these aren't really punk bands anymore, but were when they started)
    NoFX
    Offspring
    Dropkick Murphys
    Everclear
    Gogol Bordello

And then just weird stuff
    Junior Senior
    Architecture in Helsinki
    strange... i dont think a single person has mentioned Led Zeppelin.

i dont know why i didnt. that band has influenced my life more than some girls that i have dated.
    Wafflebob:
    And Punk (some of these aren't really punk bands anymore, but were when they started)
    Everclear
    When was everclear punk?
    kuzi16:

i dont know why i didnt. that band has influenced my life more than some girls that i have dated.
    I do believe Zeppelin was my first love. It was my first CD. It was my only CD for probably six months and I walked around with my discman all the time. At about 9 or 10 years old I knew every word on the Led Zeppelin IV cd.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    kuzi16:

I did. Check my post. They are my FAVORITE BAND.
    Wait, I had it there, but I didn't have a line break before it. I fixed that.