Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Kuzi's cigar catalog

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    boyd... if you are gunna try more camacho, i would highly recommend the SLR maduro and the Diploma maduro. those are the two cigars that i feel showcase camacho's blending style the most. they do make other great cigars, but that would be my starting point.
    eat before the diploma maduro. its a gut puncher.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    boyd... if you are gunna try more camacho, i would highly recommend the SLR maduro and the Diploma maduro. those are the two cigars that i feel showcase camacho's blending style the most. they do make other great cigars, but that would be my starting point.
    ...and, slow waaay down with it. This thing lets you know what full strength is.
    Corojo on the filler, binder, and wrapper, fifth priming leaves ( top most) picked last so they have been exposed to the most sun and elements. Tons of flavor and strength. I would say this is not for the novice.
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    kuzi16:
    right on Kuzi, thanks, sorry for the late response here, I was out of town with the wife and our little boy for the weekend.

These have been noted. Ccom is sold out of the diploma maduros at the moment, but I will for sure keep an eye out for these when their back in. I appreciate the recomendation though and its duly noted to eat before the diploma. hahaha. I will probably throw in a camacho corojo as well just based on the other thread.

thanks for the feedback guys.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great review. I'm new to the cigar scene and I just learned of your reviews and I've been going thru them all just wanted to see what your latest reviews were of. My mouths been watering since I first saw the pre embargo listed in ccom. I can already see I messed up buying a 25 count humidor. Well Christmas isn't too far off. Maybe my wife will get me a 100 count one if I hint enough.
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    Maybe my wife will get me a 100 count one if I hint enough.

It may behoove you to hint at something a tad higher than 100 count if you're hanging around these parts.
  • Options
    skweekz:
    Rhamlin:
    Maybe my wife will get me a 100 count one if I hint enough.

It may behoove you to hint at something a tad higher than 100 count if you're hanging around these parts.
    just ask for a cooler.
  • Options

6-23-11 been in humidor since 3-20-11
    Cupido Doble (5.5 x 50 box pressed perfecto)
    Wrapper: Nicaraguan Criollo
    Binder: Cuban seed Estali, Nicaraguan Habano
    Filler: Cuban seed Estali, Nicaraguan Habano
    Blender: ?

The filler and binder of this cigar both come from one field (Cupido Vegas). Cupido is rolled in the Tabacalera Esteli Factory where a total of 9,000 boxes are made for the world wide market, limited does not always mean good. Of course, that market is primarily the Cuban Crafters merket. This market is an inexpensive section of the market. Most of the Cuban Crafters cigars would fit into the “cheap” category. This cigar is a little over $2.50 if you buy it in singles; $2.38ea if you buy boxes. I guess this is why it ended up in the “Crap Cigar Pass” in the first place.
    This could be an adventure...

The cigar does not have cellophane on it; it never did. The wrapper is a reddish brown and looks “rustic.” the cap is a bit sloppy but it doesn't seem that it will be a problem. The smell to it is very hay and woody in nature. A clip on the tip with me double guillotine and the cap seems to want to unwrap for a moment. It does not.

The cold draw is earthy and has a flavor that is similar to a very mild spice drop style gummy drop. The draw is a bit on the lite side. This may be due to the taper on the foot.

The light is very quick because of the small surface area on the foot. The first few draws have that woody pulpy texture that lets me know it is a Nicaraguan puro. The flavor is thin. Through the nose is where most of the flavor is. If there is no retro-hale then the only flavor is an aftertaste of slightly bitter wood. If you go through the nose there is that spice drop flavor that is in the cold draw, a bit of wood and a touch of spice. The flavors are muddy though. There is no definition to them and they are all very mild. Its too bad they are so mild. It seems like there is a ton of potential here. Only the aftertaste has any amount of flavor to it, but that is the least pleasant of the lot.

As the tapered part of the cigar ends, the burn becomes uneven. When correcting the burn a crack is found to be developing. It may just be in the wrapper.

The ash fell when I bumped into the edge of my chair so it is hard to judge the construction by how the ash holds. However, what is making this easier is that the burn is downright bad. One side does not want to stay lit and it is quite clear that the wrapper and binder are not laying correctly against the binder.

On a positive note, the flavor is decent. There is a woody taste to it and the spice drop note seems to be picking up.

At the mid point the flavors have not changed any more. The burn is still an issue. Though the flavors are not amazing I feel that this cigar would be more enjoyable if I didnt have to correct the burn every few minutes. It also seems that it is burning fast.

The body is about medium-full, however, the flavor is mild-medium. It feels out of balance. The flavors are good but they dont match the body.

As the final third begins the flavors do not change but the burn issues have cleared up a bit. The cigar ends the same way. Uneventful.

Burn: 7
    Draw: 9
    Taste: 8
    Aftertaste: 8
    Construction: 7
    Balance: 7
    Feel: 8

• Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Nice crap review Kuzi, I'm shocked that they all weren't 1's....hahaha
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    ENFIDL:
    I think madurofan was right one page back - Kuz is going soft on us in his old age! LOL

• Options
    The Sniper:
    ENFIDL:
    I think madurofan was right one page back - Kuz is going soft on us in his old age! LOL

maybe.

here is my theory...
    the more i smoke, the more i understand what i like to smoke, the more i smoke what i like.

this would explain why i have been handing out higher scores. im only smoking things i like.

this cigar, cupido, got a 7.7. this is hardly a glowing review.

this them begs the question: what would it take to get a 5 or lower?

im sure that some gas station cigars would get this.
    a cigar that wont stay lit no matter what.
    a cigar that is too dry...

iduno.
    since i tend to smoke only premium hand made, they tend to be better than crap just thrown together.
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    kuzi16:
    The Sniper:
    ENFIDL:

maybe.

here is my theory...
    the more i smoke, the more i understand what i like to smoke, the more i smoke what i like.

this would explain why i have been handing out higher scores. im only smoking things i like.

this cigar, cupido, got a 7.7. this is hardly a glowing review.

this them begs the question: what would it take to get a 5 or lower?

im sure that some gas station cigars would get this.
    a cigar that wont stay lit no matter what.
    a cigar that is too dry...

iduno.
    since i tend to smoke only premium hand made, they tend to be better than crap just thrown together.
    What are the chances you would review a gas station cigar Kuzi? I'll drop a 5'er of them in the mail if so!
  • Options
    ENFIDL:
    What are the chances you would review a gas station cigar Kuzi? I'll drop a 5'er of them in the mail if so!
    i have in the past. its in my hard copy reviews. i did it as a joke on the old forum about 5 years ago. ill see if i can find it and post it later.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Didn't Joe review one of the Watermelon White Owls I sent him?
  • Options
    dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just now having my first Beast. They've been resting for a lil over 5 months so I decided to have a go at one. The draw is very light and as kuzi noted, the flavors seem washed out...nothing stands out. Through the first half the burn has been less than perfect requiring 2 touch-ups. The cap came off and the wrapper has started to unravel a bit. The most notable flavors have been alternating between coffee and hay, with a touch of sweetness and spice.

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    only cupido ive had wasnt bad at all!
  • Options

8-3-2011 been in humidor since 5-20-11
    thank you jj20030 for this cigar.
    MAXX the fix (5 x 58)
    Wrapper: Nicaragua Maduro
    Binder: Costa Rica
    Filler: Columbia, Nicaragua, Honduras, and Mexico.
    Blender: Arsenio Ramos

The cigar is a dark chocolate brown and has a “stout” attitude to it. Usually I am not a huge fan of this large of a ring but I have been known to smoke them. Since this cigar is a reaction to the current market, this cigar's fillers are mostly viso and ligero leaves, so this should be a fuller bodied smoke in a larger ring format.

The smell before the light is lighter than I would expect out of a fuller bodied cigar but it distinctly barnyard. There is a sheen to the wrapper and it is smooth to the touch. There is some tooth to it. A lick on the cap has very little flavor. The clip is made with my Xi2 cutter. It almost does not fit. The cold draw has a sweeter licorice taste under the typical maduro taste. Nothing too notable. It is a bit firm.

12:00 noon
    The light takes a long time given the ring gauge. The first few puffs are lighter in flavor than I was expecting, it is woody and has a coffee note on the finish. As the cigar settles in, an earth flavor is added to the mix. The finish is short and the flavors are light. The good news is that the flavors are good and work well with each other.

At about an inch in, I ash the cigar for preventative measures. The flavors have not changed much just got a bit more intense. The finish is the best part of this cigar. It is a very pleasant taste: slightly sweet, slightly woody.

Near the mid point the cigar has not changed. It is a medium body still. The flavors are very good but if there was any complexity at all this cigar could get to the range of great.

The final third starts out the same. Its uneventful but at least it is relaxing, smooth, and balanced. The draw is a bit tight and the cigar is oily so keeping it lit has been a struggle. Maybe a bit of dry-boxing would have helped.

The final third finishes a bit hotter and with a bit more bite. Its a bit more round as well. I'm not amazed, but id be very happy to smoke another one.

Burn time 1 hour 40 min

Burn: 9
    Draw: 7
    Construction: 7
    Balance: 9
    Feel: 9

• Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I've had a couple of the MAXX's. I have to agree with you, nothing wrong with the cigar but uneventful is a good description. Its just boring to me, it would be better suited in a corona size or so. I wouldn't be bored with it half way through then.
  • Options
    kaelariakaelaria Posts: 572
    I had the same experience fresh, and by chance had another after sitting a couple years and it was completely different - for the better!
  • Options

8-16-11 been in humi since 1-28-11

Plasencia Reserva Organica
    Toro 6 x 50 (though I think its closer to 52)
    Wrapper: Nicaraguan
    Binder: Nicaraguan
    Filler: Nicaraguan
    Blender: Nestor Plasencia

this cigar was handed to me by Nestor Plasencia himself while on the tour of his factory. It came in a small sampler with another Reserva Organica and two Casa Magnas. The foot band on this cigar clearly reads “Reserva Organica,” but when a search is done on this cigar a very different looking cigar appears. The bands are very different, and the released version has cedar on it.

This is how the released version looks:

this is how the one I have looks:

the cigar has an oily feel to it. It feel thick. Im not sure if this is in my hear or not because I was told that there is a hearty Corojo/Criollo hybrid that is used on this cigar. They have to use different tobacco than just a corojo because the organic nature of it. No pesticides, no chemical fertilizers, just good plants and hard work. As of January 2011, there was no way to “certify” the organic nature of this product, but being that Plasencia has a degree in Agricultural Engineering it is safe to assume that all requirements to be called “organic” have been met. Now if the system would catch up to him, that's another story.

The smell of the cigar before the light is not too heavy, but there does seem to be a slight coffee hint to it. The wrapper is a medium brown in color with a slightly red tint to it. Parts of the leaf look weathered but there are no “real” flaws to the naked eye. A lick on the cap has almost no taste to it at all, but once cut, that changes drastically. There is a very coco earthy flavor going on. Its actually refreshing.

Once lit there is a flavor that is very sweet. Its almost a sugary sweet but it is subtle. There is also a slight spice to the cigar and an over all leather impression. As the cigar settles in everything smooths out and becomes less in your face. There is definitely a black pepper in the finish of this cigar. Overall it seems to be a solid medium in body. The flavors are a bit on the light side but this is not a problem with only water as a drink.

The first ash falls at a bit over an inch. The burn has been perfect so far and the mild nature of this cigar makes it worry free. The finish is short and mildly spicy.

Getting into the middle third there is a floral note on the initial flavor. The rest of the flavor is about the same. The roundness of this cigar is interesting considering that this cigar is medium in power and medium in flavor. The mouth feel is very full and thick. It is an interesting combination. The texture of the smoke is not what I usually think of in a Nicaraguan puro. Some of that texture is there but it does not have the pulpy texture. If I didnt know better I would say it was a Nicaraguan/Honduran blend.

There is some lacking in the complexity department and what transitions are there are slow and very subtle. The transition to a woodier flavor starts in the middle third but never makes a big enough impact to really change much.

As the cigar nears the end, there is little change. It does not heat up so that attests to its construction. There have been no burn issues and no draw issues. All the elements that seem to make up a good cigar are there, this just failed in the “wow” factor.

Burn to the nub
    burn time: 2 hours.

Burn: 10
    Construction: 9
    Balance: 8
    Feel: 7

• Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    The Reserva Organica that I smoked was from your contribution to the Crap Pass. It also had the older double band look, not the newer look. I've often wondered whether or not the new ones are the same blend as the older one?

I got a lot of similar notes from the cigar. The heavy mouth feel is a big part of my memory of this stick, especially since it was such a smooth, mild-medium cigar. I also remember a fairly dominant woodsy flavor and slight peppery finish and the burn was flawless. The pack was fairly loose, like the way Cuba Libres are packed, something I've grown to enjoy and they never seem to have burn issues. I don't seem to remember any floral notes or much sweetness but it has been a while since I had it.

I thought this cigar was quite good and for coming out of the Crap Pass I was unexpectedly surprised by how much I liked it. Now that I'm slowly going back to more mild and medium bodied cigars I should keep my eye out for these. Nice review.
  • Options
    8-18-11 been in himi since 10-27-06

Cusano Estate Reserve Figurado (small solomon 6 x 52 ish)
    Wrapper: Either Indonesian Grown Sumatra or Ecuadorian shade grown Connecticut.
    Binder: Unknown
    Filler: Dominican
    Blender: Unknown

I walked into the local shop I used to go to and right in front on the center shelf was this cigar. There were only 2 or so left and I picked one up. I put it in my humidor and forgot about it for a few months. I had recently started reviewing cigars and I thought that this would be a good candidate to review being that it was a cigar that I had never had and it was a cigar that wasn't often talked about on the forum and it was in a shape that I was not familiar with yet. I started to look online for information about this cigar. I found none. I did call up Cusano and ask them directly. They “were pretty sure” that the wrapper was an Indonesian grown Sumatra. The guy on the line seemed surprised that I had one since they had not been in production “for some time.”
    not wanting to smoke a rarity I slipped it back in the humidor to be forgotten about. A week or so ago I found it again. I did more research on it and found it on a competitors site. That site claims it has an Ecuadorian Shade Grown Connecticut seed Wrapper. Still no info on the binder. This site also did not have the shape that this cigar has. None of the ones on this site have the secondary bands that the one I have has. The band reads “reserva familiar”
    this is what I have:

Everything points to this cigar being a mild or medium cigar at best. Now with 5 years on it, im sure it has mellowed out quite a bit. Im guessing that it will be too mild and all flavor will be lost.

Here goes nothing...
    As I take off the bands I notice that they have been in the same spot for so long that the exposed tobacco has a slight tint lighter than the rest of the cigar. The wrapper still feels a bit oily so there is some hope. A lick on the cap has flavor too. It is spicy and a bit licorice. Im surprised about the spice given the age. Cut with a double guillotine. The cold draw tastes like the licorice previously mentioned. The draw is a bit tight but I assume this is from the tip of the cigar tapering so much. The shape is pretyy much that of an Oliva V figurado.

The first few puffs are bitter. The small point that is thew foot of this cigar made it hard to light. Too much heat can quickly destroy any flavor.
    After it settles in the flavors are light (expected) and slightly spicy. There is a musk like flavor that reminds me that Cusano is produced in the Davidoff factory. Im not sure if there is a Kelner hand in the blending of this cigar, but given the flavor, it would not surprise me. There is a licorice bite to it. The finish is short and slightly bitter, but not in a way that I find unpleasant. As the cigar reaches the fattest part of the stick, the spice amps up a bit. Its a classic black pepper and it seems to linger on into the finish. This is a quite nice effect that reminds me of a spicy cinnamon candy about 5 minutes after it is gone, minus the sugary mouth feel, of course. This isnt to say that it isnt sweet to an extend because it is. Its quite delightful actually. There is a creamy sweetness on a few of the puffs.

When the first ash falls the spice is actually the dominant mouth flavor but through the nose I get some musk and some licorice. The finish is about the same.

As the ring continues to slim down, the spice seems to get thicker. The licorice flavor fades and a woodier tone develops. During the middle third the dynamic nature of this shape becomes clear. There are many notes that are consistent, but there are very different points of focus. The creaminess seems to always be an undertone.

There is a very classic feel to this cigar. This is not a mind shattering blend that can never be reproduced, but it seems to be a very well done overall classic cigar in nature. There is something refreshing about that.

There has been one or two burn issues but nothing to get in a huff about. A very quick correction light on one or two occasions has fixed all. This is probably from the difficulty of rolling the figurado shape.

The cigar heads down the same road in the final third. The wood comes out more and the spice hangs on. The licorice flavor is still there but nowhere near where it was. The mouth feel is rather medium full in body but the power is very mild. If I could find another one of these I would be happy to smoke it any time of day. The flavors are not bland at all. It is burning slower as it gets smaller as well. Its rather counter-intuitive.

The cigar ends on a spicy woody note. There is a slight increase in warmth but not to its detriment. If I had more I would gladly smoke them. Sad to see it go, but glad I got to smoke one. Good cigar but not amazing.

Burn time 1hr 50min

Taste: 9
    Aftertaste: 9
    Construction: 8
    Balance: 9

• Options
    JonathanEJonathanE Posts: 401
    kuzi16:
    There is a musk like flavor that reminds me that Cusano is produced in the Davidoff factory. Im not sure if there is a Kelner hand in the blending of this cigar, but given the flavor, it would not surprise me.
    Dude, you are freakin' rediculous!! ...but that's exactly why I like reading your reviews. So very informative. It's too bad you can't get paid for this kind of thing because you have really developed a skill / talent for getting the most out of cigars and writing well about it. Glad you're on the forum!

...shoot, glad I'M on the forum!

JDE

• Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    kuzi16:
    There is a very classic feel to this cigar. This is not a mind shattering blend that can never be reproduced, but it seems to be a very well done overall classic cigar in nature. There is something refreshing about that.
    Great Review as Always Kuzi. Thanks for Posting that.

I really like how you pointed out that a cigar doesn't have to be something with ultra rare tobacco, or be ridiculously complex, to be a great cigar. A great cigar can be a simple one. Cigars are classic in nature and sometimes a simple well constructed cigar with excellent flavors can outshine all of the limited releases. Sometimes thats also not the case, and I don't to come accross as bashing on limited and rare stuff becuase that drives alot of innovation, new brands, and overall buzz for the industry, which is great for everyone, but a classic cigar deserves a lot of credit sometimes.

So I appreciate that.
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    I've talked to enough old timers who swear anything more than 3 years is excess.
    im sorry i keep talking about CA but....

Aug 07 issue, connoisseurs corner: Don Candido seleccion no. 506 from 1966 100 of 100
    AND
    Grisel Bolivar Chatelet 1969 100 of 100.

those are some fifty year old cigars. those are also the highest rating you can get. they were "perfect" is it because of the age? iduno but it didnt seem to hurt them.

this is two of nine ever to get that score.
    Good point. As always... I just wish I had the patience and discipline to let a good cigar sit for 5 years... much less 50!
  • Options
    JonathanE:
    It's too bad you can't get paid for this kind of thing ...
    i dont want to get paid for this kind of thing. as soon as money/gifts enter the ring it influences how i do reviews. some days, i dont wanna review a cigar. some days i do. some days i wanna smoke something strong. some days i want a mild stick. if i have to smoke a cigar for a review then its not on my terms. im not into cigars for other people. im into them for me.

...guess im selfish that way.
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    kuzi16:
    JonathanE:
    i dont want to get paid for this kind of thing. as soon as money/gifts enter the ring it influences how i do reviews. some days, i dont wanna review a cigar. some days i do. some days i wanna smoke something strong. some days i want a mild stick. if i have to smoke a cigar for a review then its not on my terms. im not into cigars for other people. im into them for me.

You're only 102 post away from 10,000! thats crazy... crazy awesome!
  • Options
    BigT06:
    kuzi16:
    JonathanE:

crazy nerdy....

99 left.
  • Options
    amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    kuzi16:
    BigT06:
    kuzi16:
    JonathanE:

crazy nerdy....

99 left.
    Not nerdy, passionate. Except when you're scolding people, haha I kid, I kid, lol. Had to throw that in there. Sorry I know I'm an @sshole.
  • Options
    8-26-11 been in humidor since 11-13-10

La Gloria Cubana Serie N JSB (5.5 x 54)
    Wrapper: Capa Oscura
    Binder: Nicaraguan
    Filler: Nicaraguan
    Blender: General cigar blending team.

This cigar was won in a MAW and sent to me by j0z3r. Good looking out there. I had full intention of smoking this cigar sooner. I'm not sure why I haven't.

In researching this cigar, I found many review sites that said things along the lines of “this is a very dark maduro...” or “darkest maduro I have ever seen.”
    the problem is, this isnt a maduro. This is an Oscuro. There are tons of sites out there that have the wrapper labeled as “Capa Oscura” very clearly. There is a difference. (and, for the millionth time, maduro is a process not a color). What I couldnt find was a country of origin. I assume it is Nicaraguan given the rest of the blend.

the presentation of this cigar is interesting. It has the classic LGC band (with “Serie N” on the bottom ) covering a toothy Oscuro wrapper. I wouldnt call it black but it is very dar. The leaf looks thick. There is also a letter “N” in tobacco on the front. As I pull off the cellophane, I see that it has yellowed quite a bit. The smell of the cigar is a sharp barnyard. It seems brighter than many other cigars. The lick on the cap is leathery and earthy. There is surprisingly no spice to it. I cut this cigar like I do all other cigars recently by taking off as little as I could off with my Xikar double Guillotine. This produced a very difficult an impossible draw. I then cut it like a “normal” human being and got very good results. The draw is near perfect and very earthy sweet in nature.

Once lit, I am welcomed with round earth tones and a subtle sweetness. The amount of smoke is staggering; it pours off of the foot like a reverse waterfall only to collect around the ceiling of my front porch. Every now and again a slight breeze comes by and clear it out. I always find that smoking a cigar that produces a large volume of smoke makes it more fun to smoke.

As the cigar starts to settle in, a slight coffee taste enters. There is a spice through the nose and the power begins to show. The spice is not a specific flavor, but is closest to pepper. The Nicaraguan texture is starting to sink in. it can be felt on the tongue like as a slight tingling sensation. It isn't harsh, it isn't spice, it is pulpy in nature. This is a bit more subtle than most.

The burn is very good, not perfect but good. The ash holds for a bit over an inch. By the time the ash falls the flavors have developed into what I feel will be the main profile for the rest of the cigar: a bit of earthy coffee, a bit of leather, and some spice through the nose. I was expecting a bit more sweetness out of this cigar. It does not detract that it isnt there.
    During the middle third a toasty note develops. This is noticed mostly through the nose. The coffee flavor is more in the finish at this point as well. The burn starts to stray at the mid point, nothing a quick touch up wont fix. For those who are wondering, the added “N” burns as if it wasn't there and was just the same wrapper. If I look very closely I can make out its outline in the ash.

Entering the final third the flavors are all still there. A hint of spice is added to the “middle” flavor. Some of the roundness that this brand is usually known for enters on the finish. As the cigar winds down the smoke heats some. A small element of harsh comes out and this is where ill end.

Burn time: 1hour 40 minutes.

Construction: 9
    Balance: 8

77 posts away from 10k
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    I think this is a great stick, I have smoked about 20 of them and they have been really consistent both in flavor and burn.
    Nice review Kuzi