Home Ratings & Reviews

Romeo y Julieta, Romeo No. 1 ISOM Review

Romeo y Julieta, Romeo No.1Yesterday my wife and I would have celebrated our 5th Anniversary but she is in Texas and I am in Hell so that didn’t work out. Since I am in a foreign country and we are not together, I decided to commemorate the day by smoking an illegal cigar named after a couple of fools who blew up their shot at living the ultimate love story. Hah!

My wife and I are just like Romeo and Juliet in that we are completely in love with one another and all the more so after five years but we are also their opposites at the same time. When two independently happy people get married, the happiness compounds! When two lame people get into an obligate symbiotic relationship because the other person makes them happy, things work great! At least until the symbiotic equilibrium breaks down. Then they kill themselves! I chose to smoke the Remoeo y Julieta, Romeo No. 1 on our anniversary in mockery of Romeo and Juliet’s famously irrational decisions. {B-)

(BTW, if any of you go Shakespeare on me and tell me I missed the point of the story, don’t expect a response – fair warning!)

Anyway, the cigar. The history of the Romeo y Julieta brand begins in 1875 Cuba in care of Inocencio Alvarez and Mannin Garcia. As early as 1885, the young company had begun winning accolades at various tasting exhibitions and, by 1900, had won a number of gold medals which are still displayed on the production cigar band today.

In 1903 the brand was acquired by Rodríguez, Argüelles y Cia., the firm of Jose “Pepin” Rodriguez Fernandez and evolved to become the luxury cigar brand of the day. Sir Winston Churchill was one of the brand’s more notable champions and Rodriguez named his flagship vitola in Churchill’s honor.

Rodriguez’ death in 1954 signaled the decline of the brand’s worldwide dominance and, in 1960, Uncle Fidel delivered the coup de grâce by nationalizing the Cuban cigar industry, forcing the brand owners to relocate to La Romana of the Dominican Republic. The company that currently owns the transplanted Romeo y Julieta, Altadis SA, still manufactures a cigar under the original label.
I find it very interesting that the only legitimate claim against the true lineage of the Romeo y Julieta brand that the nationalized Cuban company has is that their cigars are grown in the same dirt as were the original Romeo y Julieta cigars between 1875 and 1960. The rest of the original brand’s DNA exfiltrated communist Cuba in search of greener tobacco. If you want to smoke a REAL Romeo y Julietta cigar, not a stolen fake, get it from the Dominican. I smoked a ***!

(Interestingly, as of 2000, Altadis SA owns a 50% share of the Cuban state tobacco monopoly, Habanos SA. I suppose this purchase equates to adoption and de-bastardizes the Cuban produced Romeo y Julietta line? You be the judge.)

The Romeo No. 1 is a pleasingly sized Cuban puro corona at 5.5 inches with a 40 ring gauge. I burned it for 63 minutes which was longer than I expected but that may have had something to do with its tight draw. It wasn’t tight enough to cause a problem but it definitely slowed things down.

The flavor opened up with an earthy note and toasty creaminess. I didn’t think I would ever put those three tastes together at once! …but, don’t get me wrong, it was a very good blend. I didn’t notice any real changes or increased complexity before the flavor transitioned near the end to include a slight touch of cedary bitterness. Throughout the entire smoke there was a consistent spiced/herbal retro hale to enjoy as desired.

Romeo y Julieta, Romeo No. 1 My final impression was what I typically get from a good, average cigar. I think this particular blend has a lot to gain from some aging as it didn’t seem to be quite fully married with itself but it was a great smoke nonetheless. I scored it a 73. My current overall average cigar rating is a 78.

JDE

Comments

• DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Nice review, nicer formatting!
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Thanks for your review, and the interesting background on the brand. I've never had a RyJ (CC) that I really thought much of personally, so if this was your first experience with ISOM cigars, don't let it turn you off too much. Punch and RyJ are the two CC marcas that just have not worked for me. Any idea of the box code and date this stick came from?
  • dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Diamondog:
    Nice review, nicer formatting!
    +1 on both!

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • JonathanEJonathanE Posts: 401
    docbp87:
    ...so if this was your first experience with ISOM cigars, don't let it turn you off too much. Punch and RyJ are the two CC marcas that just have not worked for me. Any idea of the box code and date this stick came from?
    I'm going to make good use of my time overseas to try a large variety of Cubans! I found a store with a great walk-in humidor and here's the haul I came back with:

And now I have to admit to not looking at the box codes even though I easily could have. I was trying to be sensitive to the other people who were with me who did not appreciate the jackpot I had just found!

JDE

• JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    Great review, Happy Anniversary (you're here for a short amount of time, quit complaining), and glad you liked the walk-in!
    Light 'em up.
    JCizzle:
    Great review, Happy Anniversary (you're here for a short amount of time, quit complaining), and glad you liked the walk-in!
    Uh... yes, when I say, "I found," what I actually meant was, "JC told me where this great store was..." Lol

JDE

• The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Morning Capt, Congratulations on your anniversary.. Very nice presentation. Let us know what your thoughts are on the others as you burn through em, especially that Cohiba...Take Care......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DINuAWoxy4Q
    The Kid:
    Morning Capt, Congratulations on your anniversary.. Very nice presentation. Let us know what your thoughts are on the others as you burn through em, especially that Cohiba...Take Care......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DINuAWoxy4Q
    Why, thank you, sir! It was a great anniversary all things considered.

I will be reviewing all eight of the Cubans you see in the pic. I will be posting the second one later on today. The "Montecristo" brand has a great story behind it just like the RyJ does. Y'all should enjoy...

JDE