Home General Discussion

Smoking Room

I had the great idea the other day as I was freezing my ass off out side having a smoke. It would be great to build myself a small room in the basement, with ventilation, that I could retreat to and have smoke any time I wanted. Do any of you guys have a place like that, and if you do how do you ventilate it. I have an idea of what I want but thats about all I have. Any suggestions....

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Pop over to the thread http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/13853.aspx and ask Vince O. He would be your best resource. I have a shed attached to my house where my water heater and all is. I set up a little portable heater and smoke in there when it gets that cold.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Depends where you are. I don't like to smoke with a jacket on, so once the ambient temperature is below 54 degrees (yes, I've measured this), I no longer feel comfortable smoking. It is rarely so cold in Charlotte that my garage gets below 54 degrees (although it is currently 48 and has been as low as 40 -- yes, I just consulted the thermometer I keep in the garage).

I have a space heater that I use in the garage when the temps are low, and that is good for all but the coldest Charlotte weather (like we are having now).

Smoking stinks up the garage, and the garage is our primary mode of entry/exit from the house. The garage serves as my rainy-day smoking area, but with the door open. If it is too cold to smoke with the door open, I leave it closed and smoke a pipe, which stinks up the garage a lot less. I have smoked cigars with the garage door closed, but I don't do that very often.
    Other ideas:

Go to your local shop
    Smoke in the daytime in the sun on the side of a building
    For your own personal, portable space heater, eat a couple bowls of my world-famous chili about 3-4 hours before you plan to smoke.
    Drink a fifth of Jack before you head outside
    Get a chimenea
    Smoke gasoline-infused cigars.
    It was 12 this morning! 12. I don't even know what to say about 12. I'm working from home today so I immediately lit a fire and have kept it going all day but 12. I mean wtf, I live in Virginia not Montana.

On a side note, my dog HATES the mailman but the UPS guy is apparently cool.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    When I got in to work today around 8:45 it was 9 out. Imagine how cold it was before that! Probably 1 - 2 if not lower.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    When I rode home from work last night, it was 19.
    Returning to the subject at hand, doesn't somebody around here have one of those portable buildings set up as a smoking room? Or was that just a suggestion?
    Vince does thats why I pointed the orginal poster in his direction.
  • Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    madurofan:
    It was 12 this morning! 12. I don't even know what to say about 12. I'm working from home today so I immediately lit a fire and have kept it going all day but 12. I mean wtf, I live in Virginia not Montana.
    It was 10-12 here in Hiram, GA this morning. Stupid cold. With a wind chill so it bites. Official temp right now...24. huh...global warming really sucks.
    Bad Andy:
    madurofan:
    It was 10-12 here in Hiram, GA this morning. Stupid cold. With a wind chill so it bites. Official temp right now...24. huh...global warming really sucks.
    Damn 24 is GA. This global warming is getting out of hand.
  • Well I have enough room in my basement that I could build a smaller room to fit about 3 or 4 soft chairs and and few end tables. What I ultimately would like to have is a wine/smoking room, where I can sit with a few friends and enjoy cigars, and/or wine and liqueur. In my old house we had a room in the basement that was a pantry room for canned goods and other stuff. I mostly used it for wine storage because it was dark and cool, but it was only about 10X10 so there wasn't that much room. Our current house has less basement space, but could be sectioned off for a smoking room, all I would have to do is vent it some how. Of course during the summer months I would smoke outside, but a little boys club in the basement for smoking and drinking would be the cats ass.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    It was around 30 here last night, give or take... =)
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Yea, it's 22 here in the Texas! Thats not as cold as all of you guys, but it's DAMN cold for this far south!!! If I wanted this *** I'd move north with the rest of you crazy bastards!!! haha
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    right now its -2.

feels like -10

global warming would be nice about now.
    I think it's because of global warming.. it'll get worse..
  • Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    kuzi16:
    right now its -2.

feels like -10

yes it would
    Yes, I would love some global warming about right now!!! I'm having serious withdraws from the golf courses!!! haha
    I dunno about where you guys live, but the freaky thing of it is that it'll be 50 degrees again this weekend, and it was in the low 60s about 3 days ago. Here in Memphis, we've been bouncing up and down like this non-stop, all winter.
    Buffalo Mike:
    Well I have enough room in my basement that I could build a smaller room to fit about 3 or 4 soft chairs and and few end tables. What I ultimately would like to have is a wine/smoking room, where I can sit with a few friends and enjoy cigars, and/or wine and liqueur. In my old house we had a room in the basement that was a pantry room for canned goods and other stuff. I mostly used it for wine storage because it was dark and cool, but it was only about 10X10 so there wasn't that much room. Our current house has less basement space, but could be sectioned off for a smoking room, all I would have to do is vent it some how. Of course during the summer months I would smoke outside, but a little boys club in the basement for smoking and drinking would be the cats ass.
    That would be a very sweet setup, tatonka. This something you'd do yourself?
    urbino:
    tatonka
    LOL!!

Tatonka tatonka Tatonka tatonka tatonka tatonka Tatonka tatonka
    dutyje:
    So true.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    urbino:
    dutyje:
    So true.
    Say what you want about Buffalo buffalo, but I've been to Tatonka and the tatonka there are nothing like that. They're really pretty sweet, actually. And considerate.
    Luko:
    urbino:
    dutyje:
    So true.
    Say what you want about Buffalo buffalo, but I've been to Tatonka and the tatonka there are nothing like that. They're really pretty sweet, actually. And considerate.
    But do you at least agree that Buffalo tatonka Buffalo tatonka buffalo buffalo Buffalo tatonka?
    dutyje:
    Luko:
    urbino:
    dutyje:
    So true.
    But do you at least agree that Buffalo tatonka Buffalo tatonka buffalo buffalo Buffalo tatonka?
    ISTM he's saying Buffalo tatonka Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo tatonka. Tatonka don't buffalo buffalo. Is that right, Luko, or is just Tatonka tatonka that don't buffalo buffalo?
    Bad Andy:
    kuzi16:
    right now its -2.

feels like -10

yes it would
    You do realize that global warming does cause shifts in climate whether cold or warm... both suck
    urbino:
    dutyje:
    Luko:
    urbino:
    dutyje:
    So true.
    ISTM he's saying Buffalo tatonka Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo tatonka. Tatonka don't buffalo buffalo. Is that right, Luko, or is just Tatonka tatonka that don't buffalo buffalo?
    That wouldn't make a wit of sense, I don't care where your tatonka are from.
    dutyje:
    urbino:
    dutyje:
    Luko:
    urbino:
    dutyje:
    So true.
    That wouldn't make a wit of sense, I don't care where your tatonka are from.
    Tell it to the hand, sister.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Bad Andy:
    kuzi16:
    right now its -2.

feels like -10

yes it would
    You do realize that global warming does cause shifts in climate whether cold or warm... both suck
    You do also realize we have had global warming since about mid-way through the last Ice Age right? And they was WAY before "man" was even a twinkle in the eye of some Amoeba in the sludge! LOL
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    On the topic at hand, if you are planning to build an enclosed room you could install an exhaust fan and run flexible hard-duct out through a window if you have one, or, with a bit more work, up and out of your roof...though you'd have to patch the roof and all that happy crap then.
    Or up into the room where your mother-in-law stays.