Home General Discussion

Canadian Thanksgiving Day

kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
Happy Thanksgiving Day to all our Canadian Brothers. I hope it was a day you enjoyed with family and a fine cigar.

Comments

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    kaspera79:
    Happy Thanksgiving Day to all our Canadian Brothers. I hope it was a day you enjoyed with family and a fine cigar.
    Thanks Kas. "Burp", oopps sorry. Man I love Thanksgiving dinner. Now for that fine cigar... ah yes...Camacho Triple Maduro. What are you smoking tonight Kas?
  • howtobasshowtobass Posts: 589
    laker1963:
    kaspera79:
    Thanks Kas. "Burp", oopps sorry. Man I love Thanksgiving dinner. Now for that fine cigar... ah yes...Camacho Triple Maduro. What are you smoking tonight Kas?
    4000. Congrats
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    howtobass:
    laker1963:
    kaspera79:
    4000. Congrats
    +1
  • bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    While I had chicken, not turkey...it was a fine day! I actually managed to squeeze in 2 cigars between all my work! The 1st as a Titan, which I found rather uneventful...while the 2nd, a diesel UC which I just finished, was a mighty fine way to finish some marking outside with the aid of the porch lights...but the moon was/is amazing tonight. Hope Columbus day was fine for our American BOTL's also! Not sure what you eat on it, but I hope it was tasty! :) off to bed now with Diesel breath
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Happy thanksgiving eh!
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Happy Thanksgiving to our Neighbors to the NORTH!
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    The turkey dinner was great, but it's the weather up here that I'm going to remember for a while! Sunny, HOT and beautiful. I was out walking the dog and both my pet birds in SHORTS by 10:30AM. Can't remember the last time (if ever) it was that warm in October :)

Happy ThanksGiving everyone.

• y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    Enjoy your poutine, all.
    howtobass:
    laker1963:
    kaspera79:
    4000. Congrats
    Thanks for that. I was going to run a contest combining my 4000th post and our trip to Cuba. I got to 4000 faster then I thought so I will be thinking of some sort of contest for when I return. Haven't thought of a prize... but I'm betting at least some of it will be sticks you just can't get here at C.Com :)
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Congrats on 4k Doug! Also happy Thanksgiving to our Cbotl's!
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Happy Thanksgiving Day to our Northern brothers . One thing I would be thankful for would be the ability/availability to buy ISOM's if I wished to if I lived up there.

Which makes me wonder . To our North of the border forum members : Do you activly buy Cubans alot , somewhere in between , or very little ? If so , which do you find as the best deals and which ISOM's do you prefer ?
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    gmill880:
    Happy Thanksgiving Day to our Northern brothers . One thing I would be thankful for would be the ability/availability to buy ISOM's if I wished to if I lived up there.

Which makes me wonder . To our North of the border forum members : Do you activly buy Cubans alot , somewhere in between , or very little ? If so , which do you find as the best deals and which ISOM's do you prefer ?
    For me, more than half of my cigar collection is Cuban. It comes down to the prices here in Canada. I can purchase a Cuban Cohiba for almost the same price as a Rocky Patel (from a Canadian supplier). Our taxes are so bloody high that a $4 cigar in the states costs well over $20+ here in Canada, so why not buy the Cuban for the same price?

As for deals, you don't get any. The price of a Cuban cigar is the price of a Cuban cigar. If a merchant offers 5% off, that's the deal...

As to what I prefer....To me you can't go too far wrong with a Cohiba, Hoyo de Monterrey, San Christobal, Fonseca, R&J and there are many more. There are 'cheap' Cuban cigars, but you get what you pay for.

One thing I say often is that Cuban cigars are rarely made with 'aged' tobacco, so you have to be willing to let them rest sometimes for years (not weeks or months) before they will smoke their very best. This, of course, is subjective and different for some brands than others. I don't mean to say that you can't smoke one ROTT, but it will probably be better in 6 months, even better a year latter and fantastic in 5 years.
    Some of this is my opinion, some of it is what I have learned over the years, and I'm sure opinions will vary widely on this topic.

• gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Thanks for the insight bro .
    I don't smoke very many Cubans at all. As Camgfs already said our taxes just put them outside of the range I am willing to spend for most sticks. I have a couple most of the time for special occassions but I have developed quite a taste for Nicaraguan cigars in the last couple of years.

I like the Cohibas, the Montes, and Ramon Allones are a favorite. I am hoping to try lot's of new stuff while in Cuba and maybe come across a real gem that dosen't get a lot of attention. Hopefully find some aged boxes and grab several.

Between the wife and myself I can bring back a total of 100 sticks. I don't know if I will limit out or not. (yeah right) The prices in Cuba aren't great, and boxes are not any cheaper then singles, but minus the taxes here in Canada it will be a good time to stock up on some sticks to age, and to share with some forum members.