Home General Discussion
Options

Special Occasion Recomendation Please

Need some help please. I smoke Swisher Sweet Outlaw Double Barrel Rum when I smoke a few times a month. I was on a cruise some time back and smoked a few Cuban cigars. They were awsome. Smooth as silk. Like nothing I have found before or since. And they were strong enough I needed to sit down when I smoked them. Most times I drink Evan Williams Black Bourbon with my Outlaw. I have Bulleit Bourbon for special occasions. I am looking for a super smooth powerfull cigar for those few special events each year. Price is not a concern as I will try to find a store locally with them so I can purchase them 1-2 at a time. Not looking to buy in bulk or mess with a humidor.

So short of going on another cruise or to Cuba what is available in the US? I like a small cigar. Takes 20-30 minutes to get through an Outlaw that are 4.75" x 32. I can go a bit longer but thats about as long as I like to spend smoking.

Thank you for any help on this.

Comments

• Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Welcome to the forum. If you are used to smoking short filler machine made cigars, you're going to be in for a real treat smoking most long filler hand mades to begin with. If you don't want to spend more than 30 or so minutes smoking, then I recommend some of the really small cigars that Tatuaje offers, like the Petit and Petit reserva, as well as the Petit Cabaiguan (a milder, more mellow smoke than the Petit Tatuaje or Petit Reserva). CAO also makes some cigars in tins in the 4x38 size, like the Brazilia Carioca, which has all of the sweet earthiness of the larger sizes, but lasts for around 30 minutes. Most cigar shops have an area where they stock all of their tinned and small cigars (at least the B&Ms I frequent all seem to. Arturo Fuente Cubanitos and Exquisitos are another great option for a ton of flavor in a small, mild to medium bodied cigar.
  • Options
    scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    docbp87:
    Welcome to the forum. If you are used to smoking short filler machine made cigars, you're going to be in for a real treat smoking most long filler hand mades to begin with. If you don't want to spend more than 30 or so minutes smoking, then I recommend some of the really small cigars that Tatuaje offers, like the Petit and Petit reserva, as well as the Petit Cabaiguan (a milder, more mellow smoke than the Petit Tatuaje or Petit Reserva). CAO also makes some cigars in tins in the 4x38 size, like the Brazilia Carioca, which has all of the sweet earthiness of the larger sizes, but lasts for around 30 minutes. Most cigar shops have an area where they stock all of their tinned and small cigars (at least the B&Ms I frequent all seem to. Arturo Fuente Cubanitos and Exquisitos are another great option for a ton of flavor in a small, mild to medium bodied cigar.
    Welcome to the Forums!

Doc pretty much hit everything you need to know. Go for a Petit Corona or Corona size for that short of a smoke. CAO seems to be a popular beginning smoke since it isn't over powerful. Now if you smoke these every blue moon and really would like to treat yourself go with a Davidoff or Arturo Fuente (both come in tins) as they are arguably the acclaimed best by many. Many cigars out of Cuba are better than Cubans due to the mass market of non-Cubans, so you don't have to take a trip! Though you can't argue Cubans are more exclusive.
  • Options
    Thanks for the information. I will try to locate those and give them a try.

The Outlaws say on the package that they are handmade of all natural tobaco in Honduras. While quallity is not what I would expect from a master cigar roller they smoke well most of the time.
  • Options
    Thanks for the wlecome!

As they will be for special times I have no limit on price. Or a pretty high limit. Over $50 each would be a hard sell but if it were as good as I remember I would go a bit more.
  • Options
    deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    if you like the sweetness try a Drew Estate Jucy Lucy, its a shorty and is quite good.
  • Options
    I do like the SS sweetness but the Cuban cigars I smoked were like super smooth air. No sweet flavor just velvet smoothness. Thats what I'm looking for more than sweetness.

I like to smoke down close to the bottom and some cigars will get the harsh bitter black stuff on my lips earlier than others.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My personal favorites for a smooth smoke are Cohiba red dot or one of the Avo's of course you'll be spending over an hour enjoying them. But beware it doesn't take long to get hooked once you break into the world of long leaves.
  • Options
    1/2 an hour is about it and stick a fork in me, I'm done. But I still added these to my list: Cohiba Red Dot, Pequenos, Cameroon, 4.2 X 34 and this: Avo, Puritos, Connecticut, 4.13 X 32

Thanks for the help I have a long list to take to local cigar shops.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Avo, Ashton, Fente, and Davidoff are all known for being splendid and smooth smokes any would probably suit your needs very very well ;)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    "if you like the sweetness try a Drew Estate Jucy Lucy, its a shorty and is quite good.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------"

Added to my list as well, thanks.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Tatuaje Verocu 5 is a really great 30-45min smoke that is smooth, powerful, and really well rounded. I like them quite a bit and can be had for under $10 a smoke.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    What cubans did you have? I've never had a smooth as silk cigar.
  • Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    phobicsquirrel:
    Remember he is comparing that to swishers. Sandpaper would be smooth as silk.
  • Options
    Monte #4 was smooth as silk
  • Options
    lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Special Occasion Cigar Recomendation? Anything from DD's collection. Look him up hes famous!
  • Options
    Marker:
    phobicsquirrel:
    Remember he is comparing that to swishers. Sandpaper would be smooth as silk.
    lol, good point.
  • Options
    dennisking:
    Monte #4 was smooth as silk
    ah, I had a monte 2 and thought it was okay. I'll give a 4 a whirl someday.
  • Options
    also the Bolivar Petit Corona is an amazing mild stick.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:

I can't remember. Some were in glass tubes. 1-2 were in aluminum tubes. Found at least one listed on the net in Europe. Don't have the tubes anymore. They were very powerful. Gave me a major buzz and really needed to sit to smoke them. But soo smooth. Much, much nicer smoking than breathing regular air. And way nicer than anyother cigar I ever smoked.
  • Options
    I like the Double Barrel Rum way more than say a Back Woods. I have tried the Honey's and some others recomended by shops and have not found anything close to the cubans I smoked.