Home Non Cigar Related

What else do you enjoy?

ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭

Just curious what, besides cigars, people here do for leisure. See if maybe there are any common themes...

My primary love is motorcycles. I've put about 9,000 miles on my Triumph Scrambler (source for my username) in the past year. I do all my own modifications and maintenance.

I also tinker a bit in photography. Just bought a couple of new lenses for my digicam for an upcoming trip to Hawaii. I'm not by any means a professional, nor do I have professional grade equipment, but I get some pretty decent pics with my 5 year old Sony "prosumer" camera.

So other than relaxing with a nice cigar, what do you do to keep sane?

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i play, modify, and build guitars.
    as of late ive also been into a bit of landscapeing.
  • MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    Luv to BBQ, like to go to comps. and checkout everybody else and see whats new, also cooking is a passion not a profession but a passion...
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    Well, I have so many things I dabble in that it's hard to say. I love shooting sports and do a little home gunsmithing. I love SCUBA, its definitely a passion. Any outdoors activities like hunting, fishing and camping. I'm also getting back into photography and archery.
  • golfcigarjunkiegolfcigarjunkie Posts: 61
    Golf and RVing
  • ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭

Hmm, I must have way too much free time. Everything mentioned so far (except SCUBA) are things I dabble in as well.

Kuzi, I have a first generation Fender Highway 1 Strat and an Epiphone G400 "Custom Shop". I love guitars for their design and technical aspect almost as much as for their music. Unfortunately I haven't been able to discipline myself enough to develop any level of proficiency at actually playing them.

Mark, I spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Most of my specialties are baked goods & desserts. Pies, cookies, creme brulee. My mom is a baker, so I picked it up from her. I love bbq, I can some pretty good pulled pork, but I cheat and use a crockpot.

Ron, I get out to the range at least once a month. Lately I've been mostly into my pistols, but I love clay shooting. I seriously want a Beretta 686, but they have gotten really pricey. It seems not more than 3 or 4 years ago the White Onyx was half the price they are now.

• MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    Scrambler get yourself a Weber Smokie Mountian and you'll throw rocks at the ol crockpot low and slow my friend.....
  • When it comes to my hobbies I'm kind of schizophrenic... I get really consumed by one at a time, but then I'll drop it almost entirely and get consumed by another entirely different one.

Some of them include: weightlifting (kettlebells), studying various programming/IT subjects (currently in queue: A+, Network+, Security+ and CCNA cerifications, learning PHP painfully slowly and occasionally messing around with the C++/Java skills I've barely used since high school), martial arts (I hold a green belt in karate but haven't actively studied it for years), chainmail (also haven't touched this one in a while), collecting swords/knives, and playing my Schecter Blackjack... I would love to get a gun license and a good starter pistol, then start hitting up a shooting range, but have been too lazy/haven't had the time.

Mostly, however, my life is consumed by work and school, so I usually end up using what little free time is left to enjoy a cigar and hang out with my friends.
  • pilot711pilot711 Posts: 176
    I see lots of similarities here. :) I'm also into scuba, skiing, shooting, salt water aquariums, flying (although I do that for a living), hunting and fishing, oh yea and motorcycles. There is more but those keep me pretty busy!
  • ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    Pilot, What kind of bike do you ride?
  • pilot711pilot711 Posts: 176
    Scrambler:
    Pilot, What kind of bike do you ride?
    Lots of bikes over the years but right now I have a Triumph Thunderbird and a Honda VTX 1300 retro which is what I really ride. Used to be into crotch rockets in my younger years but go for comfort and range now. Most of my buds ride Harley's but there were just so many of them now I had to be different. :)
  • Big DeanBig Dean Posts: 120
    I love playing texas holdem, drinking microbrews, playing horseshoes, learning to brew my own beer, playing golf and frisbee golf, and snowboarding.
  • vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    Cars, bikes, softball, golf, gambling, drinking
  • btmislesbtmisles Posts: 125
    hockey (coaching and playing), golf, cigars, drinking and now my kids
    Big Dean:
    I love playing texas holdem, drinking microbrews, playing horseshoes, learning to brew my own beer, playing golf and frisbee golf, and snowboarding.
    snowboarding in cleveland? we have the snow but the slopes? hmmm... Brandywine? or do you travel?
    I actually used to work at Brandywine many years ago and that is where I learned to snowboard. I got a free pass for working there. Ouch!! Falling on the icy slopes of Brandywine was not fun. But a few years ago I moved out to Leadville, Colorado for a winter season. My friend had already lived out there and I had a place to stay. I ended up working at Copper Mountain Resort as a cook at restaraunt right at the bottom of the main lift there. I also got a free pass for the season and I took full advantage of that. I had the best time of my life that winter and I will always remember the mornings of fresh powder. I also like to make at least one trip a year to either N.Y. or P.A.
    nice!! Ive never actually been to brandywine but i had a friend who worked there also. I used to live in cincinnati and there was a setup much like brandywine down there too, just too much ICE. it kept me from really gettinginto skiing/snowboarding.
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    I don't think I could ever go to any places like that. I grew up in Colorado so I'm kind of a snow snob. Once you've experienced some of the best its hard to go to anything else. Kind of like going back to Swisher Sweets after trying a God of Fire.
    rdnstn:
    I don't think I could ever go to any places like that. I grew up in Colorado so I'm kind of a snow snob. Once you've experienced some of the best its hard to go to anything else. Kind of like going back to Swisher Sweets after trying a God of Fire.
    well spoken
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    LOL Brandywine sounds like Massnutten which is a few hours from here(VA Beach) mostly "manufactured" snow and ice. Typically referred to as Mass of Nothin'. Never really got into snowboarding bc of it. I like to travel that is my passion. I spend most of my time working on my house but thats necessity, I enjoy it but wouldn't say I love it. I travel every free weekend I have even if its just a couple of hours away to a friends. I've been in something like 14 countries , 20 some states, beaches on 12 different coasts, and went to school in England. Thats my passion boys.
  • kodkod Posts: 41
    Big Dean:
    Big Dean, i too enjoy brewing my own beer as of right now i only have a "MR.BEER" doit your self kit. It is very easy to use and the results are usually pretty good. Except for one mistake i made which caused the beer to taste very sour. What type of equipment do you use? Does any one else brew, and if so what equpiment do you use professional or beginner?
    kod, great to hear you are a fellow brewer. I am technically only a brewer in theory (meaning I havn't brewed anything yet, but I have researched quite a bit and own several brewing books) I am unable to afford the supplies I need and I am not allowed to brew at my place. I looked at the Mr. Beer site and it dosn't look like a really good setup. Please take no offense. A great website to check out is www.midwestsupplies.com. They have amazing beer kits, great equipment, and great customer service. You should really check this site out. Also if you go to www.howtobrew.com, you can read the entire "How to Brew" book by John J. Palmer. This is a really great book and it sure beats paying for it in a store.
    kod, By the way what kind of beer do you enjoy? I prefer pale ales, porters and stouts, but I will drink any sort of microbrew. I collect all the six and four pack holders of beer that I drink. I currently have about 200 different ones.
    big dean, if you ever find yourself in akron ore are planning on gettin there talk to me first. there is a bar down here you need to check out. Plus, we can have a smoke in my back yard. Im always looking for a BOTL to smoke with.
  • kodkod Posts: 41
    Big Dean:
    kod, By the way what kind of beer do you enjoy? I prefer pale ales, porters and stouts, but I will drink any sort of microbrew. I collect all the six and four pack holders of beer that I drink. I currently have about 200 different ones.
    My favortie type of beer is also pale ales. Big dean that is a great collection.
    kuzi16, Sounds cool kuzi. I actually live in Brunswick, which is really pretty close by. We should get together for a smoke sometime. And I wouldn't mind to check this bar out also. What is a BOTL?
    Big Dean:
    What is a BOTL?
    Brother Of The Leaf.

i work in montrose. I live in cuyahoga falls. beer and then cigars. life doesnt get much better than that.
  • Motorcycles -a long time ago. Bultaco (owned 3),Maico,Hodaka, and Husqvarna.
    Currently, my main pursuit is horseracing. Handicapping is as interesting to me as the stock market and a lot more fun. I go to off track venues but there's nothing better than being at the track at dawn and watching the workouts while smoking a cigar with my coffee. Keeneland and Churchill Downs in Kentucky are holy places to me. Santa Anita in California, Hialeah in Florida and Saratoga in New York. All fantastic!
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Tripledeadheat.I knew by your screen name what your other passion was. There is only one way that term is used. I once saw a TDH at Arlington Park in Illinois in 1985 and was Fricken astonished. Twenty minutes of the stewarts reviewing the tapes, until the results came back. Claims of foul by all three jocks, interference down the stretch, amazing. I had a Quinella ( I don't see that bet anymore) and it paid thirty some bucks which was great for me at the time. Do you think 'Brown can go the distance in the Belmont and take the triple Crown. A truely prohibitive favorite on a Win ticket I am sure.
  • Sorry not to respond more quickly----- You're very lucky to have actually seen a TDH-i never have. Deadheats I've seen several times but never a TDH. RE: The Belmont and Big Brown---I would have told you I thought Big Brown could pull it off but we know by now what happened-we just don't know why. Dutrow blamed Desormoux but the owners disagreed and he will ride BB again, maybe in the Breeders Cup Classic against Curlin. That will be the race of both their careers.
  • la-henryla-henry Posts: 74
    I love trapshooting (went to state trapshooting competition my junior and senior year of high school), Hunting, Fishing, Reading books, Video games, Camping, Playing cards, Listening to music, Cooking, Playing music (I play the trombone, bass trombone, tuba, and the cello), and just to round it out i write poetry on occasion.