kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    11-3-11 been in humidor since 9-2-10
    Joya de Nicaragua Antano Dark Corojo.
    El Martillo (5.5 x 54)
    Wrapper: Nicaraguan (Jalapa Valley) Corojo
    Binder: Nicaraguan
    Filler: Nicaraguan
    Blender: Dr. Alejandro Martinez Cuenca

This cigar is thick and dark and oily. There is a foot band that reads “double fuerte” or “double strong.” I am expecting as much given that 75% of the leaves used on this cigar are ligero. Not only is that a big deal but Joya de Nicaragua also claims to use a special kind of Ligero that is thicker than the standard and they dubbed it “ligeron.” The other thing that I am expecting out of this cigar is a few burn issues given how ligero (especially thick ligero) burns.
    The Corojo wrapper is extra fermented and that is what gives it the dark appearance. The wrapper feels oily in the hand and looks rough and rustic. Both of the bands come off with a bit of effort and the inside of them has yellowed considerably. This has been in the humidor for just over a year and since the cigar is so oily, I am not surprised.

The smell is surprisingly light. The lick on the cap has a bit of a sour note to it but nothing else worth mentioning. The cold draw after a cut with a double guillotine is nice and easy; damn near perfect. There is a woody “fall” taste as I draw with a tiny hint of coco.

Once lit smoke billows from the foot as flavor billows from the head. This opens up as a powerhouse. There are roasted coffee and coco flavors on the initial flavor. This seems to transition into an earthy fall taste that I associate with corojo leaves. There is a subtle sweetness to it and the finish has the spice that “spiced rum” usually seems to have. It seems to remind me of a less nutty version of a well aged Camacho Diploma Maduro. The woody texture also gives it away as Nicaraguan. Through the nose there is a decent amount of burn but the other flavors there are nice and toasty and maybe a bit musky. Its very well balanced.

About an inch in the minor burn issues start. It isnt anything too major but a touch up is needed. The flavor has settled in with a great chewy sweetness that holds everything else together. The coffee has toned down slightly and the coco is still there. The fall taste is working very well with the toasty elements.

There is a flavor in this cigar that is in all Joya de Nicaragua cigars. It is the round undertone to every one of their blends. I want to call it licorice. This is one of the reasons why JdN is one of my favorite brands. The blending style is consistent while retaining a uniqueness to each blend.

The middle third has the same overall profile but there is now a bit of pepper on the back of the palate and there is more of a leather impression. The smoke seems thicker at this point as well. Constant touch-ups are needed.

Entering the final third the sweetness is kicked up some. The extra fermentation is really showing its face here. This is becoming the most enjoyable part of the cigar. As the cigar moves along, both the flavor and power increase. By the final third I find myself smoking very slow due to the power. The flavor keeps me going. The depth of flavor and complexity of it is outstanding. Earth, leather, sweet, pepper, and through the nose spice and musk keep the cigar interesting. It all depends on what part you are paying attention to.

With about an inch left, the cigar has not turned bitter, hot or harsh in any way. The burn issues are still there but they have not deterred me in any way. The power of this cigar is evident. I am glad I had food before this.

Burn to the burn
    time: 3 hours even (holy crap)

Burn: 8
    Draw: 10
    Taste: 9
    Aftertaste: 9
    Construction: 8
    Balance: 9
    Feel: 9

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey Kuzi, what's the longest time you ever spent with a single cigar..
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Awesome review. Thanks brother.

my experiences are all very similar to yours with this cigar except the burn issues... but I noticed the cigar lasted 3 hours! I typically smoke one in 1.25 to 1.5 hrs. Maybe mine burn better because I keep them hotter...?

I love this cigar, and smopke it prob 2 to 1 over anything and everything else in my humis right now. Just picked up 10 more today, actually...

the belicoso is good too, but the el Martillo is def my fav vitola in this line.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    Hey Kuzi, what's the longest time you ever spent with a single cigar..
    DPG blue. in the "A" vitola. it was a little over 4.5 hours.
  • Options
    BigT06:
    my experiences are all very similar to yours with this cigar except the burn issues... but I noticed the cigar lasted 3 hours! I typically smoke one in 1.25 to 1.5 hrs. Maybe mine burn better because I keep them hotter...?
    probably.
    i do smoke slow. some brands of cigars stay hotter and burn better naturally. LFDs tend to go out on me. JdNs dont go out but they have more burn issues than other smoking the same stick. it is my fault though. as i said. i do smoke slow.
  • Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    The JdN DC I had last night burned great the first half. Then I know I slowed down a little and it went out three times. Seems like a <45 seconds between puffs kind of cigar.
  • Options
    Marker:
    The JdN DC I had last night burned great the first half. Then I know I slowed down a little and it went out three times. Seems like a
    For sure. I don't see how you guys put em down for that long! I'm a slow smoker (typically)...but with these, it's hard for me to not puff on it constantly!
  • Options

11-22-11 Fresh from B&M
    La Flor Dominicana Colorado Oscuro No.3
    (5x50)
    Wrapper: Ecuadoran Ligero Sumatra
    Binder: Dominican Sumatra
    Filler: Dominican Republic, Nicaragua
    Blender: Litto Gomez

this is a limited production cigar. But what makes this so limited is the wrapper. It is an Ecuadorian Sumatra and it uses the Ligro leaf. To get this to burn and taste correctly as a wrapper it takes extra fermentation. This is one of the reasons that the wrapper on this is so dark. This cigar will be released in limited numbers two times a year.

The band is a standard LFD band but much darker in hue. Its as if someone put a dark colored lacquer over the band. This forms an interesting color scheme and presentation to this dark chocolate brown cigar. The wrapper looks rough and rustic. There are bumps over it and it looks weathered. It is very firm to the touch. There is little smell to the cigar unlit but this may be due to the fact that I am sitting in a room with 5 other people smoking other cigars. The lick on the cap is a tiny bit sour and a tiny bit spicy on the lips. After a quick cut with the Xi2 a perfect draw with a ton of spice is reveled.

The initial flavor is unlike anything that I have had in an LFD before. There are a lot of toasty notes and something that reminds me of rye bread. There is a warm earth taste to it as well. On the finish there is a roasted coffee note. A dull coco undertone seems to always be there with a thick texture an a slightly sweet acidity. It all works well together.
    Shortly after the first ash falls the cigar goes out on its own. This is a perpetual problem with me and LFDs. I tend to smoke way to slow for them. The relight does not change the flavors that I can tell.

The middle third begins to remind me more of an LFD. The sides of the tongue have more of that round woody tone that I associate with Litto's blending style. This isnt a major shift in the profile, I probably just noticed it at this point.

The lumpiest part of the cigar is the center point. This is also the point that has the most burn issues. This is not really a surprise to me. To be honest, I was expecting many more burn issues than this cigar had because of the ligero wrapper. Clearly the fact that I have not had that many issues with the burn is a testament to the quality construction that goes into this cigar.

The last third of this cigar has similar flavors. Not too big of a change anywhere. The power is really setting in though. I have a feeling this one will age well. There is a growing cinnamon-like spice as the cigar progresses. Im not sure when it started or if it was always there, but it adds to the complexity and could easily be overlooked.

As the cigar winds down, the cinnamon-like amps up even more and sticks with you to the finish. It never heats up or becomes harsh.

burn time: 2 hours

Draw: 10
    Aftertaste: 9
    Construction: 9
    Balance: 10
    Feel: 9

I look forward to more in the future and the early releases after age.

• Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    Nice notes on this one... I've been interested in giving it a try... thanks for the breakdown!
  • Options
    amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    Had the #2, thought it was very good.
  • Options
    chemforeverchemforever Posts: 1,200
    Goin home for the holidays and it looks like they have these...guess I'll have to try the robusto.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Kuzi<br. I'm having trouble figuring out how you can keep a Robusto lit for 2 hrs. Is this something you do just when you are profiling a cigar? Or does it take you 2 hours to smoke a Robusto on a regular basis?
  • Options
    Lost my message. I was wondering about your cigar reviews. You quite often take 2 hours to smoke a Robusto. Is this just for review purposes, or do you normally take that long? I generally smoke one in 1 - 1:15. I think I would have a hard time keeping it lit for 2 hours. Just curious.
  • Options
    thats about right for me. this one was a tiny bit longer than usual in my mind. i dont have many issues keeping it lit. i dont think that it has anything to do with how often i puff, but how gently i puff. i am very easy on the draw. this keeps it from getting too hot and it slows it down quite a bit.
  • Options
    a few stats on my catalog as of 11-23-11:

first review: 9-19-06 Arturo Fuente Hemingway Signature. 6 x 47 score: 9.0
    FIRST CUBAN REVIEW: #48 12-20-07 Diplomaticos No.4 score: 8.4
    highest rated cigar: 3-1-2010 review #89 Avo 22 score: 9.7
    lowest score: 2-26-09 review #75 Oliva serie O perfecto score: 6.7
    average score: 8.49
    Alex's personal blend: review #98 score 9.4
    100th review: Davioff Maduro score 9.6
    TOTAL REVIEWS AS OF 11-22-11: 127
    cigars reviewed more than once: Free Cuba toro (2)
    El Cobre (2)
    pages in a word document taken up: 151
    average length of review in a word document: 1.1889

yup... im a nerd.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting Kuzi. I believe the Avo #22 led to the release of the Avo 787. How, in your opinion do they compare. Since I have not had either.
  • Options
    i have not had 787. i hear they are different. im not sure why i have not had one. i really should.
  • Options
    wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for every single review Kuzi, I sure have enjoyed reading them.
  • Options
    12-1-11 fresh

Corazon By Davidoff Toro (6 x 50)
    Wrapper: Ecuadorian-grown Connecticut
    Binder: unknown
    Filler: Domionmican
    Blender: Kelner

This cigar is the first in a long time in the under $5 range that I have been excited to try. I am huge Davidoff fan but the thing that keeps me from making them my daily smoke is the price point (a Davidoff 1000 is the least expensive at 4.6 x 34 and $8.90 at ccom (as of 1-12-11)). the lure of a Davidoff for under $5... Man. High hopes are going into this considering that there is nothing I have had that Kelneer has made that I didnt like.

The cigar has an unimpressive presentation. The band is simple but not elegant. The wrapper has a few minor blemishes. The lick on the cap has no flavor that I can tell. The draw is nice but has little overall character. It is a very mild impression.
    As I take off the band, it sticks to the wrapper and pulls off a good hunk of it. I hate that.

The first few puffs are on the sweeter side on the initial flavor. There is a slight hint of the “Kelner Musk” but it is not on the forefront like many of Kelner's pricier blends. There is also a slightly dry flavor in there and it is boarder line spice. This actually reminds me more of the Avo Heritage than any other Davidoff blend. By that I mean it feels the least like a Kelner blend that it can while still being blended by him.

After the first ash falls the musk at the beginning has faded. The flavor has thinned out considerably. There is a woody aftertaste and a slightly sweet undertone. It has a spice finish to it.

The midpoint is about the same. The level of complexity is low. The spice on the finish is very long. It is interesting that this is the element that sticks out. Every other Davidoff is remarkable because of how smooth and because they have so little spics. If I didnt know better, I would never place this as a Davidoff.

Approaching the place where the wrapper cracked, and there are not many burn issues. Just a bit more peeling.

The cigar ends on mostly the same note.

Burn: 9
    Draw: 9
    Taste: 8
    Aftertaste: 7
    Construction: 9
    Balance: 7
    Feel: 7
    OverallL 8.0

this does not feel like a Davidoff. If you want an inexpensive cigar with the Davidoff feel, go with a 3x3.

i have another one. may review after it gets some time on it. i also may have been expecting something it wasnt intended to be.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Kuzi, I recently saw a cigar called Private Stock by Davidoff (good) which had a pretty low price point (made me leery). Being a Davidoff fan, have you tried these and if so what was your impression? Thanks in advance. :-)

• Options
    Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was really looking forward to the Corazon. A Kelner blend at that price point, I knew it was too good to be true. The Private stock is ok, but is a mixed filler and burns very quickly. The Occidental Reserve(one of AB's first cigars) is pretty decent, however I don't know if they are still made by Kelner or someone else.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Kuz, thanks so much for reviewing the Corazon. As a HUGE Davidoff (and Kelner in general) fan I have had an eye on them, but have been hesitant, since I haven't heard anything about them. Your review pretty much confirms my fears, in that it sounds like a sort of boring, typical Dominican based cigar, with none of the real hallmarks of what makes Davidoff great. Does anyone know if these were actually blended by Kelner, or if they are just contract cigars that happen to be made at Tabadom? I have a sneaking suspicion that calling them Corazon BY DAVIDOFF is more marketing than anything else, since I see nothing about them anywhere but on a few (related) online shops, and see nothing about them on any of the Davidoff sites, which all makes me think that they were blended by someone, and then put into production as one of the many contracted cigars that coincidentally happen to share a factory with Davidoff, and nothing else.

Not to go too far off subject, but how would you describe the 3x3? Is it very similar to any particular Davidoff blend? What elements of Henke's style does it actually have? Thanks brother, from one Davislut to another.
  • Options
    The Sniper:
    Kuzi, I recently saw a cigar called Private Stock by Davidoff (good) which had a pretty low price point (made me leery). Being a Davidoff fan, have you tried these and if so what was your impression? Thanks in advance. :-)

I really like those. Rudy sent me one, and I've picked up every one I've come across since then. Solid smoke.
  • Options
    TeegeTeege Posts: 660
    Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to write all of these there is some great info here and very helpful for a noob like me trying to pick of some new sticks to try.
  • Options
    docbp87:
    Does anyone know if these were actually blended by Kelner, or if they are just contract cigars that happen to be made at Tabadom? I have a sneaking suspicion that calling them Corazon BY DAVIDOFF is more marketing than anything else, since I see nothing about them anywhere but on a few (related) online shops, and see nothing about them on any of the Davidoff sites, which all makes me think that they were blended by someone, and then put into production as one of the many contracted cigars that coincidentally happen to share a factory with Davidoff, and nothing else
    i was wondering the same thing. there was every now and then a faint hint of musk but far from the signature blending style. i couldnt find anything either. nothing on their site, nothing on any other site...

i suspect that it may not have been a kelner blend.
    docbp87:
    Not to go too far off subject, but how would you describe the 3x3? Is it very similar to any particular Davidoff blend? What elements of Henke's style does it actually have? Thanks brother, from one Davislut to another.
    the 3x3 actually reminds me most of the Zino Classic.
    there is that strong Kelner Musk that is instantly recognizable to Kelner fans. the 3x3 does burn a little fast but for the price i would take this over the Corazon hands down.
  • Options
    Poker Slob:
    I was really looking forward to the Corazon. A Kelner blend at that price point, I knew it was too good to be true. The Private stock is ok, but is a mixed filler and burns very quickly. The Occidental Reserve(one of AB's first cigars) is pretty decent, however I don't know if they are still made by Kelner or someone else.
    AB is not blended by Kelner.
  • Options
    The Sniper:

i have not had those yet.
  • Options
    12-6-11 been in humidor since 7-19-09
    Camacho Limited Harvest Toro (5.75 x 52)
    Wrapper: An “Experimental Strain” of tobacco grown in the Jamastran Valley Honduras
    Binder: Honduras
    Filler: Honduras

There is little information on the wrapper out there. All that can be found is that it is a “new strain of tobacco” that is grown in the Jamastran Valley. Either it did not do what it was supposed to do, or it did so well that Camacho is now using it as a secret element in other cigars. Either way, there is not much more that can be said about it. According to Camacho, there were only 50,000 of these made and from what I can gather, they came out around 2005. they can still be found but I do not think they are in production anymore.

The Band on this cigar is the Camacho band we all know and love but in red as the background and gold lettering and silver embellishment. The wrapper is a medium brown and there is light veining. Once out of the cellophane, I can see that the age has put some yellow on it. The cigar feels slightly oily and fuzzy in the hand. It has a ceder smell that is light. Licking the cap brings an oil feel to the lips and tongue. There is little taste to it before the cut, but after the cut there is a decent amount of flavor from the cold draw. It is a mild fennel flavor that is on the woody side. The draw is very easy. It may be a bit too loose.

Once lit, the flavors are woody and have a “slate” quality to them. This is fairly unique as far as I can tell. I dont seem to remember this in any cigar before. Through the nose brings this quality out more along with a tiny hint of a musk. The finish overall has a slightly bitter note very late. This note does not fit with the rest of the cigar at all. This Probably has to do mostly with the wrapper. The way that the woody note and the musk note play off of each other reminds me of an Avo classic. This feels bolder and has more of a mineral feel to it. If I had to compare it to another camacho it would be the 1962 but not the PE.

The cigar seems to be burning fast. I have a larger “cone” than I usually do. The easy draw is probably promoting that. There have been a few Camacho blends that seem to burn fast and draw a bit too easy. It seems to me that these blends were the ones released in 2005-2009 time period. This is a quality that I tend not to like. I do not know if it was done on purpose or if it was done as a rolling issue. Either way, I am glad that not all Camacho cigars do this.

As I rapidly approach the middle third the flavor turns more earthy. The wood is still there and the slate is still there but the wood has toned down some and damp earth comes in. the musk through the nose playing with the wood is still the high point of this cigar. The finish has lost the bitterness. There is however, a slight spice building on that finish.
    The ash keeps falling quickly. This is probably another symptom of not being packed enough with tobacco. The light draw, the fast burn and the ash not holding on really show its construction. I'm still torn on if this is intended.

The burn is not too bad. It isn't perfect but it has yet to need a touch up.

The final third is much more of the slate taste but it also brings on a desiccant quality. It seems to dry the tongue especially on the sides. The longer the smoke is swirled in the mouth, the more that quality is noticed. Through the nose it is very consistent. This has not changed since puff one.

The final third is the same as the middle. The only difference is that by the nub it goes out after every puff. It is trying to tell me something.

burn time: 1 hour 40 min

Draw: 7
    Aftertaste: 8
    Construction: 8
    Balance: 8
    Feel: 8
    overall: 8.0

• Options
    With that kind of review I'm surprised you finished it.
  • Options
    beatnic:
    With that kind of review I'm surprised you finished it.
    it wasnt that bad of a cigar. yes they were negatives but they were not deal breakers.