Home General Discussion
Options

Beverages with your smokes?

I know there may be a few out there but I am a recovering alcaholic and still love my cigars but other than a nice stout cup of cofee, does anyone have any suggestions on good non alcaholic beverages to accompany my fine cigars? And please don't say O'douls :-) (this is also a good discusion for you younger smokers out there)

Comments

• Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Root Beer, Coke, Milk come to mind first to compliment a cigar.... If you want to get the pure flavor of your cigar then just water.

I think it depends on what you are smoking and what will compliment a nice cigar or offset a hugely spicy or full-flavored stick.
  • Options
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 818 ✭✭
    If you haven't tried Perrier give it a go...It refreshes the palate better than plain water...
  • Options
    Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    Since my B&M has to separate alcohol and tobacco by law I only drink pop/soda when I am smoking there...Root Beer is my go-to drink
  • Options
    Cream Soda, or Chocolate Milk...SERIOUSLY TRY THEM BOTH!
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    A starbucks bold black goes good with whatever I smoke. My go to drink when a beer isnt a option.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    coke.
    not pepsi
    coke.
    every now and then Dr Pepper.
  • Options
    brettdub33brettdub33 Posts: 56
    Those actual sound prety good... Thanks
  • Options
    ThinBluLine06:
    Cream Soda, or Chocolate Milk...SERIOUSLY TRY THEM BOTH!
    ooo cream soda sounds good
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    I have most of mine with coffee
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    I have to agree with Coke, chocolate milk and coffee. Great choices.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Sweet Tea.

• Options
    Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    I personnally love to have coffee with a Connetticutt. It helps the flavors really develop. I don't drink cheap coffee either so I think that is a plus. I have one place I buy from and I always have a different experience with each blend.

for a darker or more potent cigar, I usually stick to sweat tea. I like for the drink to not be more overpowering than the cigar.
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    If I want a hot drink other than coffee, an Earl Grey tea works for me, and I like it with an Oliva V, can't say why, just like the flavors.
    Somebody mentioned Perrier - club soda would be good too.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Soft drinks and cigars. Ewe. Too much sugar shrinks the taste buds. That's why folks like alcoholic drinks, they excite the taste buds. Coffee or tea, hot or cold, and not too sweet. The one juice that I'll drink with a cigar is cranberry.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    Sweet Tea.

Big +1, nice suggestion Stephen.... the sweet tea brings out some of the sweeter notes obviously, but also some of the "leafy" earthy notes as well that are in many cigars.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    RampMonkeyRampMonkey Posts: 1,808
    kuzi16:
    coke.
    not pepsi
    coke.
    every now and then Dr Pepper.

I'm with Kuzi on this one +1
  • Options
    slickricslickric Posts: 705
    believe it or not, orange soda does a really good job of refreshing the palate, i'll have that with a cigar every once and a while
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    beatnic:
    Soft drinks and cigars. Ewe. Too much sugar shrinks the taste buds. That's why folks like alcoholic drinks, they excite the taste buds. Coffee or tea, hot or cold, and not too sweet. The one juice that I'll drink with a cigar is cranberry.
    That's pretty much the way I see it too, but then I don't usually drink soft drinks at all. I drink water. Sometimes I put a little whiskey in it.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    +1
  • Options
    Bucking_WBucking_W Posts: 208 ✭✭
    I thought I would be the rare one drinking Coke but it appears to be a choice among BOTL. I drink Coke, Beer, Coffee, and if it is liqueur I prefer Spice Rum. Interesting to see everyone's choices
  • Options
    SalemSalem Posts: 717
    I think I may break out the bottle of Remy Martin VSOP Cognac Champagne I bought recently and have not tried yet.....for Christmas.
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    I used to be a coke fiend. Would hit the Spanish bodegas around here just to get the Mexican Coke that's made with real sugar . Being diabetic I had to cut it out. Had to cut out the sweet tea too , and since I'm a southern boy that's like committing sacrilege.
  • Options
    The ColonelThe Colonel Posts: 206
    Coffee.. Sumatran with a dash of 1/2 and 1/2... Sumatran wrapper of course..
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Just good, strong black coffee of a wide variety. That, or club soda, or water... but never too cold, because overly cold beverages shock your taste buds, and shrink them... making tasting the fine nuances of a cigar harder.
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Try a Dr. Pepper sometimes if you're drinking a soft drink. Agree with others here on Coke too (not Pepsi). Ginger Beer is pretty good too (it's non-alcoholic).
  • Options
    Heavy:
    Try a Dr. Pepper sometimes if you're drinking a soft drink. Agree with others here on Coke too (not Pepsi). Ginger Beer is pretty good too (it's non-alcoholic).
    I like that one... this may be a dumb question but is ginger beer different from ginger ale? I have not heard of ginger beer.
  • Options
    Ginger beer is definitely different than ginger ale - you can taste the ginger in the ginger beer, so it might not be for everyone. I discovered it in Bermuda (they make a rum cocktail with it, but I like it on it's own as well). I can only find it at specialty places (Total Wine in my area). Beware, I've had a Jamaican style ginger beer before which is very different and I thought was disgusting!
  • Options
    Heavy:
    Ginger beer is definitely different than ginger ale - you can taste the ginger in the ginger beer, so it might not be for everyone. I discovered it in Bermuda (they make a rum cocktail with it, but I like it on it's own as well). I can only find it at specialty places (Total Wine in my area). Beware, I've had a Jamaican style ginger beer before which is very different and I thought was disgusting!

There is an AWESOME drink made with spiced rum and Gosling's Ginger Beer....its called a Dark and Stormy and they are UNREAL!! ....time to go to the store
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Coffee and McDonald's chocolate shakes. Try it. Trust me!
  • Options
    AJGARLETT:
    Heavy:

There is an AWESOME drink made with spiced rum and Gosling's Ginger Beer....its called a Dark and Stormy and they are UNREAL!! ....time to go to the store
    Yup, I went to Bermuda years ago and fell in love with those things. I've grown to like the ginger beer straight up too, but the Gosling's Dark Seal rum really does the trick! I brought back as much of that stuff as I could from Bermuda, not knowing I could easily get it here in the states! I actually have more trouble finding the ginger beer than the Goslings.