Home General Discussion
Options

Do you save your partially smoked cigars?

If you don't have time to smoke the whole cigar for whatever reason, do you save the partially smoked cigar for later? If so, do they taste decent or are they nasty? lol! I have smoked 2 so far and have no finished either one.

Comments

• Options
    asianbiker8asianbiker8 Posts: 551
    no, the cigars dry out too quick, and they will stink and taste terrible. if the sticks are too big for you, you might want to start getting smaller sizes.
  • Options
    Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    I don't, just no real reason IMO
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    No. Unless you relight within 10 or 15 mins, it will never be the same. There are a few threads on here that go in to more detail about it, but generally the answer is always no. They taste different (not in a good way). If you don't have enough time to finish a whole cigar... don't light it, or find a smaller vitola that you like. If you are not finishing because you are "done" that is fine, just enjoy what you did smoke of it and move on to another one next time you wanna smoke.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    BigT06:
    No. Unless you relight within 10 or 15 mins, it will never be the same. There are a few threads on here that go in to more detail about it, but generally the answer is always no. They taste different (not in a good way). If you don't have enough time to finish a whole cigar... don't light it, or find a smaller vitola that you like. If you are not finishing because you are "done" that is fine, just enjoy what you did smoke of it and move on to another one next time you wanna smoke.
    +1
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    Nope, a cigar that is relit later always seem to be harsh and bitter and sometimes acrid. I agree it is better to choose a smaller vitola, or smoke when you have more time.
    Good luck and enjoy.
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Salem:
    If you don't have time to smoke the whole cigar for whatever reason, do you save the partially smoked cigar for later? If so, do they taste decent or are they nasty? lol! I have smoked 2 so far and have no finished either one.
    Enjoying a premium cigar will require you to set aside time; usually between 45 min to an hour and a half, depending on how big the cigar is, how it was rolled, how much tobacco is in it, etc. Try a 5 Vegas Relic, they burn up faster than a speeding bullet.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BigT06:

I don't totally agree with Todd on this. To me, it depends on how long the interval is between when you laid it down and when you intend to pick it back up again. And, IMO, it depends also on whether you chew or dry-mouth the head of the cigar.

I'm a dry-mouth person. I can't tolerate even the sight of a chewed-up stogie. And when it becomes necessary for me to interrupt the smoke I've got going, I use an aluminum tubo to snuff it quickly. I'm fairly sure a chewed-up stick will taste/smell bad when trying to take up where you left off. If you slide the lit stick headfirst into the tubo and screw the cap on, the stick will go out quickly due to lack of oxygen. I've gone as long as 4 - 5 hours before relighting with no problems. Just scrape off the char before relighting. The first couple puffs might be a tad strong but other than that - no problems.
  • Options
    dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Nope. Fire up a new one or make time for the one you have.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    ShotgunJohn:
    Nope, a cigar that is relit later always seem to be harsh and bitter and sometimes acrid. I agree it is better to choose a smaller vitola, or smoke when you have more time.
    Good luck and enjoy.
    This is my opinion as well. Besides, I have enough cigars that I don't need to compromise the experience. I'd rather start fresh.
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Cigar breath is one thing, but used cigar breath is a whole other beast entirely! I will relight a cigar after a short interruption. I won't save it for later or the next day. They just get nasty.

• Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never save or relight a cigar later. Nasty IMO.
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    """"""""""""""""NO"""""""""""""""'', ive tried a few may work out but most are not worth it,
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    jsnake:
    I never save or relight a cigar later. Nasty IMO.
    by later you mean over 10 minutes?
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    if it's been out by lack of attention, I will relight using the relight method of cleaning the ash off and blowing thru it and then lighting it. no saving other than that.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to be the odd ball here(again) I do it all the time. But what I do when I know I won't be able to finish it is between puffs I blow the smoke back out so it cuts down on the tar buildup, I don't smIke it past halfway and after its gone out I scrape or cut off the charred end then put it in a ziplock bag.
    does it taste the same no but if it's a good stick it won't be nasty either.
    this is what I do on my boat and I don't usually relight for 12 hours when my shift starts again. And Ive never had a stick be nasty.
  • Options
    deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    I'm going to be the odd ball here(again) I do it all the time. But what I do when I know I won't be able to finish it is between puffs I blow the smoke back out so it cuts down on the tar buildup, I don't smIke it past halfway and after its gone out I scrape or cut off the charred end then put it in a ziplock bag.
    does it taste the same no but if it's a good stick it won't be nasty either.
    I also do this, but I will take a cutter and cut the end off and make sure to give it a good blow through. Sometimes it dont work and is nasty but most the time it is not horrible.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Never. Ammonia build up in the cigar after its smoked makes the cigar smell and taste horrible. If you do...I wouldn't put it back in your humidor.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    Never. Ammonia build up in the cigar after its smoked makes the cigar smell and taste horrible. If you do...I wouldn't put it back in your humidor.
    Oh yeah definately don't put them back in your humi. Even if you put them in a ziplock bag the smell will leach out.
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Save? - never
    Relight - yes, as other have said, within 5 minutes due to my lack of attention, or whatever.
    I have, on occasion, let a "daily smoke" go out while working on a car/truck, etc. In this instance I'll do an "amputation".....pretty severe cut, at least 1/2 inch past the burn line, and then relight.
    Even then, I end up tossing it half the time cause the taste is funky...........

I'll catch some flak for this.....but you could simply cut the cigar in half before you smoke it....smoke the bottom half first, use the foot as the cap (the part you're gonna smoke from)....then save the other half for another time......don't do this with premium sticks of course.

• Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Noooooo
  • Options
    jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    KingoftheCove:
    Save? - never
    Relight - yes, as other have said, within 5 minutes due to my lack of attention, or whatever.
    I have, on occasion, let a "daily smoke" go out while working on a car/truck, etc. In this instance I'll do an "amputation".....pretty severe cut, at least 1/2 inch past the burn line, and then relight.
    Even then, I end up tossing it half the time cause the taste is funky...........

I'll catch some flak for this.....but you could simply cut the cigar in half before you smoke it....smoke the bottom half first, use the foot as the cap (the part you're gonna smoke from)....then save the other half for another time......don't do this with premium sticks of course.

I'll relight as well. But never save. I've never groomed the end of the smoke after relight though. And for the cut in half...I've done it! When Afg, cigars can be limited! I use to split my cigars with a buddy. We'd trade off who gets the foot. Drastic times call for drastic measures! But the halved smokes smoked just as good!
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    If it's a super premium, I always make sure the time is set aside. I don't have a lot of things going on that result in interruptions. If I'm smoking one of the fine bargains that CCOM helps us score, I don't mind putting down a two or three dollar stick a bit early if I have to.
  • Options
    bluezulubluezulu Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    Generally no. However there are times when I have had to sit a high end cigar down in my truck's ash tray and smoke it later. Sure its not as good but hell its there. I swear though I sat a partagas black down and smoked it the next day and it was better.
  • Options
    No. It tastes harsh after relighting agina.
  • Options
    i have and no i dont think they taste any different
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    asianbiker8:
    no, the cigars dry out too quick, and they will stink and taste terrible. if the sticks are too big for you, you might want to start getting smaller sizes.
    though this does sound like the logical answer i try and look at it differently. i wont start a cigar unless i have time for it.
    therefore, dont buy smaller cigars. make more time.

• Options
    cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    Well said. Some times I get cut short but 98% of the time I put aside the time "I earned it". And it brings tears to my eyes to see a good gar go to waste. A gar is like a joint nobody likes the roachs.