Home General Discussion
Options

Padilla - dark ash ?

jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
OK so I had my first Padilla Dominus a few weeks back and I liked it but noticed it had a dark almost black ash. Didnt think much of it. Today I am having a Padilla Artemis and same dark ash. Pretty good cigar but why the dark ash? I thought a white ash meant a better cigar? I am still kinda new here so educate me please.

Comments

• Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Despite common belief, a white ash doesn't mean that it's better tobacco. It's just an indicator of what nutrients were in the soil that the plant was grown in. White ash means that it was planted in magnesium rich soil. Dark ash means that it was planted in an iron-rich environment.
  • Options
    chemforeverchemforever Posts: 1,200
    Got my cigar learnin' in for the day! Thanks for the interesting info.
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    jadelt:
    OK so I had my first Padilla Dominus a few weeks back and I liked it but noticed it had a dark almost black ash. Didnt think much of it. Today I am having a Padilla Artemis and same dark ash. Pretty good cigar but why the dark ash? I thought a white ash meant a better cigar? I am still kinda new here so educate me please.
    +1........I have noticed that with several Padillas, especially the Miami and 68s

• Options
    jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    wwhwang:
    Despite common belief, a white ash doesn't mean that it's better tobacco. It's just an indicator of what nutrients were in the soil that the plant was grown in. White ash means that it was planted in magnesium rich soil. Dark ash means that it was planted in an iron-rich environment.
    Just schooled me! I had no idea.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    wwhwang:
    couldnt have said it better myself.