Options

Kuzi's cigar catalog

Comments

• Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Oh, And I'm proud of you finishing it in less than 2 hours . LOL
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    that was the cigar, not me, i assure you.
    ive smoked coronas that lasted that long.
  • Options
    don't know how you do it.
  • Options
    12-14-11 been in humidor since 1-28-11

Liga Privada Ratzilla Pre-production Prototype
    (7 x 44)
    Wrapper: Stalk-Cut Sun-grown Connecticut Habano
    Binder: Brazilian Mata Fina
    Filler: Dominican, Honduran, Nicaraguan
    Blender: Jonathan Drew, Steve Saka

This cigar was handed to me by Jonathan Drew himself just moments before we entered the Drew Estates Factory in Estali, Nicaragua. This was in late January of 2011. The Dirty Rat had been released less than a year previous. All JD said when I asked him about this cigar was “It has the T-52 wrapper. That's all I know off the top of my head.” I didnt feel like questioning him further being that our entire group had spent the previous night at Drew Estates drinking ans smoking, playing poker, and a game we liked to call “window/window” till the wee hours of the night. I'm sure the other people staying there were not happy with us.

About a week after I got back from the trip, I stopped into the local shop that put the trip together. We were discussing the high points of the trip and DE came up. After the tour of DE we were fed and handed a cigar that was right off the rolling table. It was the Dirty Rat. That was the first Dirty Rat that I had ever had. In discussing the Dirty Rat with the guy from the B&M I mentioned that I would love to get my hands on the (at the time) only rumored Ratzilla. That is when he told me that the cigar JD handed out before the tour was just that. Apparently after everybody went to bed the night before, the guy from my B&M and Matt Booth convinced JD to hand those out.

Sweet.

This particular vitola of the Ratzilla is 7 x 44. As stated above, this is a prototype. This size didn't make it. The actual release of the Ratzilla is 6.5 x 46.

The wrapper on this cigar is called “American Habano.” It is dark and rich in color and very oily. This is caused by how it is harvested and cured. It is Stalk Cut and stalk cured. This means that instead of the “standard” harvesting method of priming harvesting by starting at the bottom and working your way up over a period of time, the entire plant is cut by the stalk at the base and cured by laying the stalk over boards, letting the leaves hang down. This allows the leaves to take nutrients from the stalk as it cures. The result is a very rich leaf that is similar to an Oscuro (that is left on the plant 50% longer to begin to cure before harvest) but not as strong and smoother overall.

This is the same wrapper that is on the LP T-52.

The wrapper is a dark Chocolate brown with several veins. There is a slight crystalline dust on it that wipes off easily. Bloom in less than a year does not surprise me given the how oily it is to the touch. Overall it has has a rough overall appearance. The cap is a flared pigtail and it looks as if there is only one twist to it. The bouquet is a classic tobacco that hints on barnyard. The lick on the cap has a sweet oily taste to it. The oils are felt on the tongue and lips. That sweetness is quite good. After a clip with a double guillotine the cold draw is firm and that same sweetness is there.

A quick light with my new soft flame Xikar EX lighter and the flavors begin to pour out. Three is a chocolatey sweetness to the cigar. Through the nose there is a good moss/earth flavor that has a sweet undertone. The finish has the same chewy sweetness. All the subtle sweet that I mention is exactly the same, from the lick on the cap to the finish of the puff. There are no other cigar that I recall that have this quality. The translation from unlit to lit is very direct to me.
    As the cigar opens up, a slightly spicy earth flavor develops that has a sweet vegetable undertone.

The amount of smoke that that this cigar puts out is nothing short of amazing. This can be attributed to a few things:
    1) the amount of oils in the cigar. As described above, the harvesting and curing process creates a oily base for the rest of the cigar to build on. The leaves are thick and oily before fermentation. During the fermentation of these cigars DE introduces more oils to the mix by using a mojo to wet the leaves from water that has been steeped in tobacco stems of black tobacco and water.
    2) The cigars are blended not only for flavor, but for slow, smokey combustion not just as a unit, but as each leaf in relation to the other leaves in the blend.
    3) The density of the bunch. This (according to Saka) is the biggest reason for the huge amount of smoke.
    Though I do not doubt Saka in any way that this is a huge factor in the amount of smoke that is let off, I tend to think that the oils play a larger roll than the bunching style. There are many cigars out there that are packed very tightly that do not produce the amount of smoke that this cigar (and most LPs) does (do). However there are not many cigar that have the oily texture that this cigar does but do not billow out smoke like this one does.

At just over an inch in, the flavor ramps up. Roasted notes show up and a bit of spice as well. The finish has a coffee/coco note that is light and enjoyable. The sweetness is there but is very much in the background. The undertone is still earth. There is also a strange way that the smoke interacts with tongue and cheeks. The initial draw seems to have a slight drying effect but as the smoke is swirled and then passed through the nose it causes the mouth to water.

Entering the middle third the cigar has a few burn issues. The extremely oily wrapper probably has something to do with that. The oily wrapper is also producing a very dark gray ash that is near black. There is a very slowly developing spice that has again increased. This is mostly through the nose. The earthiness and sweetness is still there. The toasty notes are taking over slowly as well. This is mostly on the finish. The smooth transitions and complexity over the length of the stick are enjoyable. From one puff to the next there is very little difference. But when 5 or five puffs are taken into account there are slight differences. It retains the core sweet earth flavors that seem to be the hallmark of the cigar with subtle undertones that come and go.

At the beginning of the final third the coffee flavors start to appear in mass. The roasted notes have slowly mutated into the coffee notes. Every third seems to be a new cigar but with the same Liga Privada undertones and blending style. There is no slow down on the smoke and the burn is about the same. I few correcting lights have been needed.
    The rest of the final third makes you understand the full bodied nature of the cigar. The flavor changes little in this last third. The spice is still light but present. The aftertaste is the earthy coffee that it has been.

The final third is slightly out of balance. For the beginning two-thirds of this cigar the flavors are mellow and good and round. But they are mellow and subtle. In the final third the flavor stays the same and the body really shows up to the party. It is more powerful than the flavors seem to be able to handle.

Ratzilla dies peacefully in its sleep between puffs with less than an inch left.
    Burn time:
    2hours 45minutes

Burn: 8
    Draw: 9
    Taste: 10
    Aftertaste: 9.5
    Construction: 10
    Balance: 9
    Feel: 9
    Overall: 9.2

• Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    You review left me drooling. have to find me one.
  • Options
    12-20-11 been in humidor since 9-21-06

El Cobre by Oliva Torpedo 6.5 x 52
    Wrapper: Maduro from Connecticut, USA
    Binder: Nicaragua
    Filler: Nicaragua
    Blender: Gilberto Oliva Sr.

Back in the summer of 2006 I was still just getting into cigars. I had one 20ct humidor and I had been into cigars for almost a year. I was in the “smoke the strongest cigars out there” mentality. At the time there were a few. The full bodied trend was picking up steam. I was only a new guy on the old cigar.com forum and the talk of the board was the El Cobre. This was the strongest cigar that anybody had tried at the time. Keep in mind that at the time of this cigar's release the strongest cigars on the market were LGC Serie R, and 5 Vegas Serie A. Though these two cigars have a good amount of power to them, they are still not the “fullest of the full” like LFD DL, Intenso, the Punisher, or Camachjo Diploma. It was the “punisher” of its day. There was talk of making sure a full meal was had before you smoke, beads of sweat on the forehead, and turning green.

Needless to say, I acquired a 5 pack and smoked one of them as quickly as I could. This became one of my favorites. A few weeks later I reviewed this cigar (review #12 for me) it got a 9.1
    8 months later I reviewed it again. (review #34) and it got a 9.3. I have 2 left from the original 5 pack. Now they have 5 plus years on them. This is the Most reviewed cigar in my catalog. This is the third time I have Reviewed an El Cobre.

El Cobre was born out of Gilberto Oliva Sr.'s personal blend. It was the choice leaf the Oliva family had at their disposal. This blend was reserved for family and friends only for many years. Then in 2005 (I think) it was released to the general public for the first time. Since then they have been a limited run cigar that waxes and wanes in popularity. The name is from a mining town in Cuba.

The predominantly black, gold, and cream band of El Cobre sports a picture of El Cobre Basilica outside Santiago, Cuba. This is one of my favorite bands on any cigar. The Cellophane has a good amount of yellowing to it. The cigar itself is a medium dark brown and has a decent amount of tooth to it. Its is a rugged looking cigar. The smell that this cigar has unlit is a strong sweet hey. The lick on the cap is oily and spicy. The clip with my Xi2 is quick and easy and it makes me privy to a draw that is perfect. There is a slight resistance but only enough to let you know you are drawing on a cigar. The flavor that it has cold is earthy and a bit of the hey.

The first few puffs are surprisingly smooth. There is an earthiness to it that is borderline musk. Maybe “peat” is a good way to describe it. There is a nutty note and a coffee note as well. Through the nose there is the peat and some spice. Very late on the finish there is spice. This lasts quite a while. This has a distinctly Nicaraguan feel to me. The texture of the smoke is pulpy. To me, this is a dead giveaway. The amount of smoke is large when puffed on and practically nonexistent once the cigar is set down in the ashtray again.

An inch in and the burn is a razors edge. The ash is holding on firmly and the spice is picking up. The Coffee flavor is taking over in the “middle flavor” and the finish is becoming nuttier along with the spice. The flavor through the nose is the same as before. The ash finally drops at just over an inch.

Beginning the middle third the nutter tones move to the front. The flavor is mouth coating and the smoke is thick (though it still retains the pulpy feel of Nicaraguan tobacco) There is still a good amount of power behind this cigar. 5 years of age have not subdued this cigar much at all. The middle third ends with spice being the dominant flavor and a nice nutty undertone. The coffee has disappeared and so has the peat.

The final third brings back a few of the coffee notes. There is also a strange sour note in there. It is almost a dull citrus. This is decidedly out of balance with the rest of the cigar and flavors.

Burn to the burn
    time 2 hours 20 min

Burn: 10
    Draw: 10
    Taste: 9
    Aftertaste: 8
    Construction: 10
    Balance: 8
    Feel: 9
    Overall: 9.1

• Options
    dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great review as always! I just had my first El Cobre a couple weeks ago and you pretty much described my experience! Though the one I smoked didn't have a date on it, the cello was a bit yellowed. I really enjoyed it and will be on the lookout for a deal on some.

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I love the El Cobre, definitely one of my favorite smokes. I have a few put away for some aging but it doesn't sound like they change a whole lot, your review is pretty close to what I get from them now. A loss of some of the subtle spice I guess.

dbeckom:
    Great review as always! I just had my first El Cobre a couple weeks ago and you pretty much described my experience! Though the one I smoked didn't have a date on it, the cello was a bit yellowed. I really enjoyed it and will be on the lookout for a deal on some.
    If that's the one I sent you it's from 4/11/11 (at least that's when I bought it).
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Man Kuzi the Ratzilla and El Cobre both sound awesome. More great reviews man
  • Options

12-29-11 been in humidor since 11-13-10
    Thank you to j0z3r for this cigar from a MAW pack.

Nestor Miranda 1989 Rosado Robusto (5 x 50)
    Wrapper: Nicaraguan Rosado Habano
    Binder: Nicaraguan
    Filler: Nicaraguan (Esteli and Jalapa regions), Honduran.
    Blender: Don Pepin Garcia

The “1989” marquee is to pay homage to the Miami Cigar & Co. founded by Nestor Miranda in 1989. The goals were simple when creating this cigar: An affordable Premium that tastes like a Super Premium. Miranda gave DPG a goal to shoot for in a flavor profile but DPG blended it. In theory this should show both signature flavor profiles.

This is a good looking cigar. I personally dont know if I would call it “rosado” due to the fact that it is not a reddish brown to me. But, I'm just a guy so... yeah. It just seems like a classic cigar in color and the band design. The smell is a light barnyard smell and “autumn” in nature. The lick on the cap has surprisingly little flavor short of a light spice. The draw is very good in the resistance department; there is some resistance but not enough to make it feel like work. The flavor on that draw has a coffee earth to it. Fairly simple and straight forward at this point.

The first few puffs have a nice spice and a very cedar note. The cedar is very dominant in what pipe smokers would call “the room note.” there is also a bit of a coffee feel to it in the back ground.

The first ash falls around an inch and the flavor has not changed as far as overall profile is concerned but it has mellowed out and become more defined. The spice is mild but warm and the cedar note is fantastic. The coffee seems to hold it all together.

The middle third again is about the same profile. Though not complex the flavors that are they are defined and enjoyable. There have been a few minor burn issues but they all have corrected themselves. This is a sign of good construction. At the midpoint everything becomes a bit more “toasty” with the same underlying flavors.

In the final third the coffee becomes more defined and is very clear in the finish. The finish is long enough to make every puff satisfying but short enough to keep you wanting to take another puff. This third is also plagued with some fairly major burn issues. It is an ugly looking burn line but the flavor is not effected much. This is sort of a surprise to me. It is not a surprise that the burn is rough, but that the flavor does not change because of it.

Burn to the nub.
    Burn time: 2 hours

Construction: 9
    Balance: 8
    Feel: 8
    Overall: 8.6

• Options
    lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    kuzi are you posting your top 10 for 2011? interested to see what you post.
  • Options
    top ten that i reviewed? or top ten of the year?
  • Options
    I request you review a Pueblo Dominicano.
  • Options
    lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    of the year.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Had a very similar experience with the 1989, found it to be a very enjoyable stick with a nice price point to boot. :-) Solid review.

• Options
    lcpleel:
    kuzi16:
    of the year.
    of the year... off the top of my head i dont really know. the OpusX PL i had just after my 10k post was great. Avo LE10 was great. Davidoff 2000 was a good one for me this year. went through Damn near a box of JdN Celebracion and almost a box of San Lotano Habanos.

as far as reviewed cigars go here are the top 10 of this year:
    10) Joya de Nicaragua Antano Dark Corojo. Score: 8.8
    9) 5 Vegas AAA. Score:9.0
    8) El Cobre by Oliva Torpedo 6.5 x 52 Score: 9.1
    7) La Flor Dominicana Colorado Oscuro No.3. Score: 9.1
    6) Nestor Miranda Art Deco. Score: 9.2
    5) Liga Privada Ratzilla Pre-production Prototype. Score: 9.2
    4) Camacho Pre-Embargo. Score: 9.4
    3) Avo LE10 (55x5.5) Score: 9.4
    2) Davidoff Thousand (Mille) Series 2000. Score: 9.5
    1) La Flor Dominicana Airbender Chisel. Score: 9.6

thats kinda strange to me though. ill take a Davidoff 2000, Avo LE10 or a Ratzilla any day over the Airbender. as the beginning of my catalog says, it is a review of " a certain cigar on a certain day."
    the airbender was burning well that day.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    lcpleel:
    kuzi16:
    of the year.
    of the year... off the top of my head i dont really know. the OpusX PL i had just after my 10k post was great. Avo LE10 was great. Davidoff 2000 was a good one for me this year. went through Damn near a box of JdN Celebracion and almost a box of San Lotano Habanos.

as far as reviewed cigars go here are the top 10 of this year:
    10) Joya de Nicaragua Antano Dark Corojo. Score: 8.8
    9) 5 Vegas AAA. Score:9.0
    8) El Cobre by Oliva Torpedo 6.5 x 52 Score: 9.1
    7) La Flor Dominicana Colorado Oscuro No.3. Score: 9.1
    6) Nestor Miranda Art Deco. Score: 9.2
    5) Liga Privada Ratzilla Pre-production Prototype. Score: 9.2
    4) Camacho Pre-Embargo. Score: 9.4
    3) Avo LE10 (55x5.5) Score: 9.4
    2) Davidoff Thousand (Mille) Series 2000. Score: 9.5
    1) La Flor Dominicana Airbender Chisel. Score: 9.6

thats kinda strange to me though. ill take a Davidoff 2000, Avo LE10 or a Ratzilla any day over the Airbender. as the beginning of my catalog says, it is a review of " a certain cigar on a certain day."
    the airbender was burning well that day.
    Damn, interesting list. I've only had one from it, the LFD oscuro, and really enjoyed, though I felt it needed more down time. The AVO is one I was trying to get a hold of, I really liked your review, felt up my alley. The air bender though, I know you really liked the regular one, and your review of the chisel did sound really good but after not liking the bender the first time I have reservations about the chisel. But I'll probably try it. I saw some down at my local. Maybe one day.
  • Options
    1-10-12
    Pueblo Dominicano Toro (6.5 x 10)
    Wrapper: Five Year Aged Ecuadorian-Habano Sun Grown Oscuro
    Binder: Unknown (though I suspect Nicaraguan)
    Filler: Unknown (Nicaraguan Ligero is again the prime suspect.)
    Blender: AJ Fernandez.

When I first got into cigars in 2005ish one of the first cigars I was ever shipped was in a PIF on the old forum. This cigar was the first release of Pueblo Dominicano Made at the La Aurora factory and if I am not mistaken, it was a Dominican Puro blended by Jose Blanco. This was one of the fist LEs that I ever had and one of the first cigars that I can remember being over $10 that I had to get more of. A few years on the Pueblo Dominicano II came out, also from La Aurora. This was also a Dominican cigar Blended by Jose Blanco. Then there was nothing. No mention of it anywhere. All the originals were gone and all of the PDII were either gone or going fast. Rumor has it that Jose Blanco Blended a Pueblo Dominicano III but for some reason La Aurora never moved forward with it. I think the last release (PDII) came out in 20007-2008. When Blanco went to Joyo de Nicaragua I assumed that the Pueblo Dominicano marca was done. Oh well, like many other LEs, this one ended up like ashes in the tray. Loved by many, and never seen again.

Then I hear talk of a NEW Pueblo Dominicano. Since this marca has always had a special place in my heart, I had to check this out. The new PD is blended by AJ Fernandez. Sr. Fernandez, You have some very big shoes to fill taking on this name. I was an Early JA skeptic but over time he has won me over with cigars like the Man of War (original blend), Man of War Armada, San Lotano Habano, San Lotano Connecticut, and so on. I still think that a great blender may have a difficult time living up to the amazing name that some of us remember from seven years ago.

A big thanks to BigT06 for sending me this cigar to give it a try before I had the opportunity to purchase one.
    This is still a new cigar on the market and it also has not been in my humidor very long. This may or may not effect this smoke. Lets hope not.

This Oscuro wrapper is a dark brown, not the typical black that Oscuro wrapped cigars usually are. This may be due to the seed, the growing region or how it is fermented once it is off the plant. Most Oscuros need extra fermentation just to take them enough to be palatable or blend-able. With a higher elevation (Ecuador), and less sun (“Cloud grown”) and the right seed (Cuban Criollo?) this may not need the fermentation that other oscuros do, and therefore, the color is not as dark. … just me thinking in type here.

I Digress...
    the wrapper is a dark brown and a bit on the rustic side. There is a heavy barnyard smell to it and when the cap is licked it is very oily and spicy on the lips. After a cut with my Xikar Xi2 I find the draw to be very good. There is an earthiness to it.

A light with a soft flame and we are off. The first few puffs are robust and very spicy, especially through the nose. The spice continues to dominate the finish. The filler that I suspected to be Nicaraguan shows it presence in the texture of the smoke. The texture feels almost the same as LHC Oscuro Fuerte; however, the taste is not the same. As the cigar settles in, there is a chewy sweetness to it that reminds me of a creamy coffee. There is also a wood note in there as well. Though this is a “young” cigar, there are no signs of youth. There has been patience put behind this smoke and it shows.

There is an underlying earth tone that seems to develop almost an inch in. the note is a bit “sharp” in flavor, much like sharp cheddar vs. mild cheddar. It compliments the rest of the blend well. Also as the cigar settles in the texture softens. The “nicaraguan texture” that I often reference is more of an impression now. It is still there but it is not the focus of the cigar. This is a good sign for the rest of the cigar. Often when this texture is strong it can be distracting. Through the nose the spice is still very strong. Already the power of the cigar is noticed. It is regulating my smoking speed. I do not feel that it is overbearing in any way though. It just feels like a relaxing built in regulator.

While my cigar was sitting in the ashtray, a magazine fell off a shelf and cracked the wrapper pretty badly. I hope this is not the beginning of the end. This cigar is just getting going.

As I enter the middle third the chewy sweetness amps up, juxtaposing the spicy wood flavor in a surprisingly wonderful way. The “sharp earth” undertone is more in the front end now. Approaching the mid point (and the end of the crack, thank god it didnt spread. A small touch up was needed though to help it along.) and there is a cinnamon flavor that is light and near the finish. The woody note has toned down some. The Nicaraguan wood spice really only shows up in the finish. Through the nose there is still a strong spice.

As I hit the final third the spice and Nicaraguan texture makes a comeback. By the end of this cigar the power really intensifies and it tells you when you are done. For me it was down to a nub.

Burn time 2hours 25 minutes

Overall: 8.7

• Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    1-10-12

When I first got into cigars in 2005ish one of the first cigars I was ever shipped was in a PIF on the old forum. This cigar was the first release of Pueblo Dominicano Made at the La Aurora factory and if I am not mistaken, it was a Dominican Puro blended by Jose Blanco. This was one of the fist LEs that I ever had and one of the first cigars that I can remember being over $10 that I had to get more of. A few years on the Pueblo Dominicano II came out, also from La Aurora. This was also a Dominican cigar Blended by Jose Blanco. Then there was nothing. No mention of it anywhere. All the originals were gone and all of the PDII were either gone or going fast. Rumor has it that Jose Blanco Blended a Pueblo Dominicano III but for some reason La Aurora never moved forward with it. I think the last release (PDII) came out in 20007-2008. When Blanco went to Joyo de Nicaragua I assumed that the Pueblo Dominicano marca was done. Oh well, like many other LEs, this one ended up like ashes in the tray. Loved by many, and never seen again.

Then I hear talk of a NEW Pueblo Dominicano. Since this marca has always had a special place in my heart, I had to check this out. The new PD is blended by AJ Fernandez. Sr. Fernandez, You have some very big shoes to fill taking on this name. I was an Early JA skeptic but over time he has won me over with cigars like the Man of War (original blend), Man of War Armada, San Lotano Habano, San Lotano Connecticut, and so on. I still think that a great blender may have a difficult time living up to the amazing name that some of us remember from seven years ago.

A big thanks to BigT06 for sending me this cigar to give it a try before I had the opportunity to purchase one.
    This is still a new cigar on the market and it also has not been in my humidor very long. This may or may not effect this smoke. Lets hope not.

This Oscuro wrapper is a dark brown, not the typical black that Oscuro wrapped cigars usually are. This may be due to the seed, the growing region or how it is fermented once it is off the plant. Most Oscuros need extra fermentation just to take them enough to be palatable or blend-able. With a higher elevation (Ecuador), and less sun (“Cloud grown”) and the right seed (Cuban Criollo?) this may not need the fermentation that other oscuros do, and therefore, the color is not as dark. … just me thinking in type here.

I Digress...
    the wrapper is a dark brown and a bit on the rustic side. There is a heavy barnyard smell to it and when the cap is licked it is very oily and spicy on the lips. After a cut with my Xikar Xi2 I find the draw to be very good. There is an earthiness to it.

A light with a soft flame and we are off. The first few puffs are robust and very spicy, especially through the nose. The spice continues to dominate the finish. The filler that I suspected to be Nicaraguan shows it presence in the texture of the smoke. The texture feels almost the same as LHC Oscuro Fuerte; however, the taste is not the same. As the cigar settles in, there is a chewy sweetness to it that reminds me of a creamy coffee. There is also a wood note in there as well. Though this is a “young” cigar, there are no signs of youth. There has been patience put behind this smoke and it shows.

There is an underlying earth tone that seems to develop almost an inch in. the note is a bit “sharp” in flavor, much like sharp cheddar vs. mild cheddar. It compliments the rest of the blend well. Also as the cigar settles in the texture softens. The “nicaraguan texture” that I often reference is more of an impression now. It is still there but it is not the focus of the cigar. This is a good sign for the rest of the cigar. Often when this texture is strong it can be distracting. Through the nose the spice is still very strong. Already the power of the cigar is noticed. It is regulating my smoking speed. I do not feel that it is overbearing in any way though. It just feels like a relaxing built in regulator.

While my cigar was sitting in the ashtray, a magazine fell off a shelf and cracked the wrapper pretty badly. I hope this is not the beginning of the end. This cigar is just getting going.

As I enter the middle third the chewy sweetness amps up, juxtaposing the spicy wood flavor in a surprisingly wonderful way. The “sharp earth” undertone is more in the front end now. Approaching the mid point (and the end of the crack, thank god it didnt spread. A small touch up was needed though to help it along.) and there is a cinnamon flavor that is light and near the finish. The woody note has toned down some. The Nicaraguan wood spice really only shows up in the finish. Through the nose there is still a strong spice.

As I hit the final third the spice and Nicaraguan texture makes a comeback. By the end of this cigar the power really intensifies and it tells you when you are done. For me it was down to a nub.

Your reviews and the knowledge base on which they stand are amazing. But I have to ask...how does it stack up to the original two blends? Too different to compare?
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    I couldn't have put it better. Thanks Kuzi.

kuzi16:
    1-10-12

I Digress...

• Options
    scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    Got the Pueblo from beatnic in a trade. Can't wait to light it up. Sounds like a great stick.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    Your reviews and the knowledge base on which they stand are amazing. But I have to ask...how does it stack up to the original two blends? Too different to compare?
    it is good enough to carry the name but i dont think they are anything alike. if one didnt know the blender or story they could be confused and wonder why it has the name.

im not sure how that marca got to AJ's hands but im not complaining.
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Thanks for the review! That was fast, brother. lol

I think you did exactly what I was hoping... put into words what my palate could not readily identify. Thank you.
  • Options
    badandy24badandy24 Posts: 41
    Got a lot of catching up to do...

Glad you kept this thing going Kuz!
    Andy

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge-hammer."
    — Maj. I. L. Holdridge | Retired
  • Options

1-17-12
    Liga Privada Undercrown gran Toro (6 x 52)
    Wrapper: Otapan Negro
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:

1-17-12
  • Options
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 818 ✭✭
    kuzi16:

1-17-12
  • Options
    Wow. I was smoking one as I clicked the link.
    I thought it had more of the characteristics of the t52, but that is not a problem in my mind. I enjoyed it a bunch. The flavors weren't as pronounced as the 9 and 52, but the smoke ("round") as you described, it was excellent. And yes, it was smooth through the end. As to those workers who smoked too many, I say "let them eat cake".
  • Options
    As a side: Anyone who wants to taste coffee in a cigar, try this one. Especially the back end.
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Thanks for the review!

the biggest thing that stuck out to me... 2hr 45min! Whoa. That vitola usually last me 1.5hrs. That may be why I have never experienced the burn/touch ups like you stated. That is crazy to me that it burned that long for you. When you call yourself a slow smoker... you mean it. lol

these are easily one of my favorite cigars, and I will smoke them for as long as they are available... and then for another year or 2 on the stockpile I am hoarding... lol

thanks again for the review, Matt. You nailed it.