Home General Discussion
Options

If your humidor is at the right humidification.....(another question)

......after 5 days, can you go ahead and put your cigars in there? My analog hygrometer showed 62 as opposed to the 75 it should have shown after calibrating it. So I have to add the difference of 13 in my humidor. It is currently showing 58 in my humidor which is really 71. Can I or should I go ahead and put my sticks in there? Or just wait for the whole 7 days?

Comments

• Options
    oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    I am no expert, but before you go adding your cigars, I think you should be reading the humidity with a digital hygrometer.
    You spend hundreds of dollars on cigars - I wouldn't trust a cheap hygrometer to do the trick.
    my $0.02
  • Options
    SalemSalem Posts: 717
    oldsoulrevival:
    I am no expert, but before you go adding your cigars, I think you should be reading the humidity with a digital hygrometer.
    You spend hundreds of dollars on cigars - I wouldn't trust a cheap hygrometer to do the trick.
    my $0.02
    I think you're right, will pick one up today I hope. But if it's right, do I add the cigars or wait the whole 7 days?
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    If your humi is at the correct RH that you want to keep your cigars at, then add them. I've had humidors become seasoned just after 24-36hrs. And I've had some that have taken days...(like my new cabinet).

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Has it been stable or did it just get there? I'd let it stay solid for a day if I were you. You don't want it spiking or crashing when you add the sticks (which it will to some extent because adding them will have an impact).
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    Has it been stable or did it just get there? I'd let it stay solid for a day if I were you. You don't want it spiking or crashing when you add the sticks (which it will to some extent because adding them will have an impact).
    It's been there since about the 2nd day.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    I'd say you're fine then! Good luck!
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Just be aware that when you do add your cigars, it is perfectly normal for your RH to dip. This is because the cigars are absorbing moisture. Your beads (if thats what you're using) will compensate in a day or two.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    #1 recomend making sure your humi is stable first. How long did you do the salt test on your hygrometer? Recomend 18-24 hours for that and there should be a hole in the back you put a small screwdriver thru to set your analog to 75 when test is done.
  • Options
    Rhamlin:
    Ken Light:
    #1 recomend making sure your humi is stable first. How long did you do the salt test on your hygrometer? Recomend 18-24 hours for that and there should be a hole in the back you put a small screwdriver thru to set your analog to 75 when test is done.
    I did the salt test for 36 hours like they recommended. There is a place on the back of the hygrometer that you can use a screwdriver on. But when I used it, it did nothing. Is it suppose to move the needle? It didn't. Was it suppose to loosen up the back so you can move the needle, it didn't. What's it suppose to do?
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Salem:
    Rhamlin:
    Ken Light:
    I did the salt test for 36 hours like they recommended. There is a place on the back of the hygrometer that you can use a screwdriver on. But when I used it, it did nothing. Is it suppose to move the needle? It didn't. Was it suppose to loosen up the back so you can move the needle, it didn't. What's it suppose to do?
    By placing the screw driver in and turning it should move the needle. Maybe it is either broken or you didn't put the screw driver in all the way. I'm guess that you did though and maybe it is just broken. FYI, even digital can be off a few % but since I went to them I haven't looked back.
  • Options
    I went ahead and bought a digital hygrometer at Walmart yesterday. NowI feel better! :)
  • Options
    I put my new digital hygrometer inside my humidor an hour ago. It registers 59 RH. Now keep in mind, I only have 13 cigars in a 100 count humidor. Also, I'm using, right now, the humidifier that came with it, I think it's foam. What should I do. I have beads coming. Will it come up after a time?
  • Options
    Did you salt test your new digital hygrometer? Still a nessacery step. If so then it sounds to me that your humi is not fully seasoned yet.
  • Options
    I would keep my cigars in my old humi till I get the new one up to 70%. And I got me some more gars to put in.
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    oldsoulrevival:
    my $0.02
    I second that opinion. I got rid of my analog because it just wasn't reliable. Pick up a Western Caliber II or III. You'll never regret it.
  • Options
    JDH:
    oldsoulrevival:
    my $0.02
    I second that opinion. I got rid of my analog because it just wasn't reliable. Pick up a Western Caliber II or III. You'll never regret it.
    I had used my analog hygrometer before adding the cigars and I thought that would be all I would ever have. Taking in account the calibration adjustments, it read 68-69 RH. So I added them then after a little less than a week of seasoning my humidor.
  • Options
    Ok, took the cigars out of the new humi and am salt testing the new digital hyrometer. Put them back in the old humi. I didn't realize you had to salt test a digital. duh!! Thanks everyone. I do NOT want to ruin my cigars. :) Thank you!!